New Years Eve On Cruise Ship

howdy doody

I was on the "Sky" for New Years 2003-2004. It was a blast!!!!!!!!

The Sky was my favorite NCL ship and I needed to get back on board before she changed over to the POA. The ship gave us a wonderful celebration. Around 11:00pm each of the bars had there own celebration…then around 11:30pm a lot of passengers headed out to the pool deck for the main celebration. The ship had a satellite feed projected onto a screen from CNN which also gave us the countdown clock. They had emptied out the 4 hot tubs, put a platform over them and had champagne fountains flowing. The wait staff was handing out glasses of champagne to everyone. There wasn’t a shortage of champagne at all. Though out the ship you could find all sorts of hats, rattles, and horns. A couple of the crew was even dressed up as “Father Time” and “Baby New Year.” They also had 2 ice carvings, one on each side of the pool. The first one was the numbers 2003 the other was 2004. At the stroke of midnight….they broke the ice carving of 2003. This was one of the few times on my all my cruises that you saw a lot of Officers out and about.The music, laughter and most of all the friendships that were made during this time will always be treasured. To me this was the most incredible way to say goodbye to one year and hello to the next.

Enjoy this special time.

OceanDreams

[quote name='OceanDreams']I was on the "Sky" for New Years 2003-2004. It was a blast!!!!!!!!

The Sky was my favorite NCL ship and I needed to get back on board before she changed over to the POA. The ship gave us a wonderful celebration. Around 11:00pm each of the bars had there own celebration…then around 11:30pm a lot of passengers headed out to the pool deck for the main celebration. The ship had a satellite feed projected onto a screen from CNN which also gave us the countdown clock. They had emptied out the 4 hot tubs, put a platform over them and had champagne fountains flowing. The wait staff was handing out glasses of champagne to everyone. There wasn’t a shortage of champagne at all. Though out the ship you could find all sorts of hats, rattles, and horns. A couple of the crew was even dressed up as “Father Time” and “Baby New Year.” They also had 2 ice carvings, one on each side of the pool. The first one was the numbers 2003 the other was 2004. At the stroke of midnight….they broke the ice carving of 2003. This was one of the few times on my all my cruises that you saw a lot of Officers out and about.The music, laughter and most of all the friendships that were made during this time will always be treasured. To me this was the most incredible way to say goodbye to one year and hello to the next.

Enjoy this special time.

OceanDreams[/QUOTE] That sounds like a fabulous time! Thank you for sharing it. I've never looked into holiday cruises, was the fare substantially more that what it was for the same cruise the weeks before and after the holidays?

Hi Ocean Dreams, thanks for the wonderful review of a great time. I really cannot wait for the cruise to be here and celebrate NEW YEARS with a great bunch of people. I really appreciate you taking the time to post a reply.
Howdy Doody

My husband and I go on a cruise ship every Christmas and New Year's. There couldn't be a more fun, relaxing and laid back way to spend the holidays. The ships are beautifully decorated and the atmosphere is very festive. Best of all you have a great time without any of the work. Everybody is in the holiday spirit and of course, the destinations are always more fun! I recommend doing this everytime you can, you won't ever regret it and you just may make a new holiday tradition.

Mary

Wow Ocean! You have a great memory! I was going to respond earlier but I only remembered the free champagne starting at 11pm. Now I can finally explain the photo of a naked crew guy in a diaper to my family!

Coka

[quote name='mbuenzli']That sounds like a fabulous time! Thank you for sharing it. I've never looked into holiday cruises, was the fare substantially more that what it was for the same cruise the weeks before and after the holidays?[/QUOTE]

The cruise was more expensive because of the holiday. Coka and I had an inside cabin which was great on those days when we forgot to sleep the night before.

OceanDreams

We went on a two-week Christmas and New Year's cruise last year and took the kids (teens). We took the Celebrity Zenith out of Jacksonville, FL. We agreed to go easy on the gifts to make up for the more expensive cost at this time. The celebrations were so much fun. New Year's Eve was a lot of fun with a huge, really fun party on the pool deck; free champagne was flowing, they passed out hats and "tooters"; there were ice carvings and lots of food; the band played and everyone danced. It was so much fun. There were special meals for Christmas and New Years. There were Christmas and Hannukah decorations, but not as many as I would have liked. I have heard that different ships have more decorations. Santa was flown in by helicopter and gave a small gift to all the kids. There was a special show by all the performers. It was really a wonderful time and we will definitely do it again in the future.

Thanks Sunny Mary for your review. We had to book at this time to take advantage of the school break. I am taking two nephew age 17 and 23... Hope there is lots for them to do. Every one has to make their own fun and I know I am going to enjoy it.

It is a popular time so there aren't bargains, but it is a great Christmas present to give each other. It's an investment of time together, dedicated to family, spouse, significant other. I've spent 3 Christmas days on cruises with my daughter. Because we share costs of an inside cabin, and don't exchange expensive presents, it works out.

It's a challenge to make Christmas out of a suitcase. I love it.

Haven't done New Year's yet, but love reading about it. Some day ...

Thanks for sharing your memories.

Archived