PRINCESS says jeans ok on Princess?

PescadoAmarillo

I know this will start a debate, but I did find this rather astounding. According to Cruise News Daily's free blogspot, Princess (as well as all other cruise lines) was contacted and says jeans are okay in the dining room for dinner except on formal nights.

They must have contacted one of Princess's customer service reps by phone! If only they'd hung up and phoned back, the answer would have likely been different (based on personal experience):

http://cnd-cruiseblogger.blogspot.com/

(third story down)

I would not believe what is written on that blog. I'd adhere to what Princess' website says - that jeans are not permitted:

ONBOARD ATTIRE

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal. Smart Casual Evenings:

Passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

• Pants and open-neck shirts for men

In the dining room, items such as cutoff T-shirts, shorts, halter tops, and jeans are not permitted; shoes must be worn at all times.

I was on the 7/14 sailing on the Crown and the ONLY signs posted outside the dining rooms were "NO SHORTS OR T-SHIRTS ALLOWED IN DINING ROOMS"...That prompted me to ask about jeans because I recalled reading on the website NO JEANS, the waiters and that hostess lady taking names at the door said jeans are fine, no shorts!

I really don't worry about what other people wear, except for the man that I saw try to enter the dining room with a T-shirt that said Eat Me on it.

He was told to change shirt or go to the horizon court.

I don't wear jeans to the dining room, but on formal nights I do not wear a cocktail dress either, but black dressy pants and a very sparkling or silk blouse. I am sure some people don't like it, but I have a good time anyway.

Too bad he was not allowed. He would have had a good time too. And why did it worry you what he wore? /Sultan

I really don't worry about what other people wear, except for the man that I saw try to enter the dining room with a T-shirt that said Eat Me on it.

He was told to change shirt or go to the horizon court.

I don't wear jeans to the dining room, but on formal nights I do not wear a cocktail dress either, but black dressy pants and a very sparkling or silk blouse. I am sure some people don't like it, but I have a good time anyway.

Too bad he was not allowed. He would have had a good time too. And why did it worry you what he wore? /Sultan

There are some of us who agree that folks who make no attempt to follow appropriate dress standards should be encouraged to eat elsewhere. I wish Princess was more consistent on this issue. On a recent cruise, a individual sitting directly across from me, wore a baseball cap most nights to dinner. Wearing a hat in the dining room, a baseball cap on backwards no less, give me a break, please. I feel the same way about jeans, flip flops, tennis shoes, tank tops, and t-shirts. Just think if jeans are seen as acceptable, what folks will be wearing with them. Recently, the White House established some standards for visitors indicating non of these are appropriate. Maybe a new trend is in the making to turn the tide on the sloppy dress many Americans feel is okay any where they go. I hope so. :)

We were on the CB in February and were eating in Sabatini’s on a formal night. There was a French couple across from us and the man had on jeans, a tee shirt with a band logo on it and he even wore a ball cap during the entire dinner.

If the Princess web site is going to be used it does say the following:

"Question: How many formal/smart casual nights are scheduled for my cruise?

Answer: When you're in port, evening dress is casual, slacks, sweaters, blouses, open-neck shirts, etc. are typically worn. Shorts, cut-off T-shirts, "torn" jeans and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room. We only have formal and smart casual. Tuxedo rental can be arranged prior to the cruise on certain itineraries. On formal nights, ladies prefer evening gowns or cocktail dresses and men turn out in tuxedos, dinner jackets, or dark suits. See the chart for general dress code schedule."

Also on the Patters it never says no jeans - but it always says no shorts and no t-shirts.

On our recent Alaska cruise on the Island, I recall seeing people in the dining room in jeans (not torn) on the non-formal nights.

Also noticed that formal nights were less formal than past years. Saw very few tuxes.

I'm not complaining. What other folks wear doesnt affect my cruise experience at all.

I've only cruised Carnival before but my friends and i have always worn jeans, skirts, or slacks on reg nights on formal wear and formal nights... We've always taken care of our appearance in the dining room specifically

I didn't realize it was a crime to wear jeans and I think it is fairly insulting to say that being in jeans de facto makes you a slob.

Furthermore, we cruised starting at 22 and now we're 30, so yes we're young...but as others have pointed out we ALWAYS double checked dresscode on the computer prior to sailing, so we'd know how to pack. Jeans are not listed as inadmissable

In all honesty, some people are coming across as very elitist.... pray tell how is one to know that they will be judged by the jean police. Cruising is not an everyday opportunity for most and not a social custom such as attending a wedding or church, where dressing is a learned behavior.... It's a little late once you're already on the cruise. People should stop and realize they don't know someone else's situation and stop being so darn judgemental:eek: I didn't know about cruise crtic in the way I do now till about a year ago, since I was planning such a long trip, I decided to be even more informed about international destinations ect ect. Not everyone is so inclined and they shouldn't be required to be....and for those who have a comeback. We are not talking about dressing for common decency or normal good taste...that is socially learned (for most that can come on a cruise anyway)

*steps down from jean soapbox*

Why does what others wear in the dining rooms affect your own personal cruise?

I am curious about this. Formal night really stresses me. I dress up but I am really uncomfortable. So I "suffer" so I can have the wonderful lobster and the service I love from the waitstaff? But it would not affect my cruise if someone came in the dining room wearing non formal or heaven forbid--- jeans. I don't understand this at all. On our last cruise a poor couple NEVER received their luggage. It would not have been fair to them to say they could NEVER come in the dining room because of their clothing. I just don't think it is right to judge people by what they wear, we should judge them by how they act.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now. I am just really am curious why this is such an issue.

Cindy

There are those folks who want to hang on to the traditional old ways of cruising and that is a set time for dinner and a certain style for dinner which no fancy jeans is in their closet or luggage. It ruins their dinner somehow, I don't know how but they claim it does. Personally, I feel those days are over and drawing to an end and people should mind their own business instead of worrying about what Johnny and Susie is wearing next to them. I would much rather sit with folks who are down to earth and act classy in manners and values wearing jeans than to sit with folks who are fakes in wearing their fancier attire and I have come across alot of those folks on cruises.

There are some of us who agree that folks who make no attempt to follow appropriate dress standards should be encouraged to eat elsewhere. I wish Princess was more consistent on this issue. On a recent cruise, a individual sitting directly across from me, wore a baseball cap most nights to dinner. Wearing a hat in the dining room, a baseball cap on backwards no less, give me a break, please. I feel the same way about jeans, flip flops, tennis shoes, tank tops, and t-shirts. Just think if jeans are seen as acceptable, what folks will be wearing with them. Recently, the White House established some standards for visitors indicating non of these are appropriate. Maybe a new trend is in the making to turn the tide on the sloppy dress many Americans feel is okay any where they go. I hope so. :)

I agree with your sentiment, at the end of the day its the consistancy of enforcement that is the biggest issue to me. If Princess would simply set a standard THEN stick to it, whatever it is, people could simply decide with their pocketbook whether or not the policy was acceptable to them rather than booking anyway but knowing they will likely be able to get away with something else.

Why does what others wear in the dining rooms affect your own personal cruise?

I am curious about this. Formal night really stresses me. I dress up but I am really uncomfortable. So I "suffer" so I can have the wonderful lobster and the service I love from the waitstaff? But it would not affect my cruise if someone came in the dining room wearing non formal or heaven forbid--- jeans. I don't understand this at all. On our last cruise a poor couple NEVER received their luggage. It would not have been fair to them to say they could NEVER come in the dining room because of their clothing. I just don't think it is right to judge people by what they wear, we should judge them by how they act.

Sorry, I will get off my soapbox now. I am just really am curious why this is such an issue.

Cindy

Soapboxes are fine here:). The answer for some is because it is what we signed up for. A couple truly formal evenings on a 7 day cruise. When you're at sea with 2000-3000 of your closest friends you arent living in a vacuum. When people choose to be in the formal venues but not participate in the evening's attire it does take away from the evening for those who signed on for this. You dont have to agree, but it is how some feel. Like I said in my previous post, whatever Princess decides for their policies I wish they would enforce them so we all know what we're getting and can choose accordingly. Seems fair.

I wonder who looks at anybodys jeans. If anyone is seated to eat, there is no easy way of what they are wearing below their wast. I would rather see a code for people to come in clean and odor-free. If somebody is wearing something I don't like, I can look away. If somebody stinks, where can I hide?

I would not believe what is written on that blog. I'd adhere to what Princess' website says - that jeans are not permitted:

Actually, if you read the whole entry it says "The information was verified by each line's official spokesperson"

The Cruise News Daily article had the same information and said only jeans that were torn or with holes were not permitted.

I wouldn't dare wear jeans to the Queens Grille,, but in a Princess dining room - absolutely. As long as they are neat and clean and worn with a nice (read NON T-SHIRT) shirt. They are DENIM for Gds sake, not asbestos.

I think it's a common courtesy to wear nice clothes on formal night or just keep to the Horizon Court. I wore a floral sundress on one formal night - and other guests told me I looked like a 'breath of fresh air' next to all the black dresses.

Actually, if you read the whole entry it says "The information was verified by each line's official spokesperson"

The Cruise News Daily article had the same information and said only jeans that were torn or with holes were not permitted.

I originally agreed with those who might doubt the blog's veracity, as blogs tend to be statements of opinion or subjective, non-verified facts, but it did say the information was verified. And then, minutes after I posted, a news article on Cruise News Daily also referenced the CND blog:

http://www.cruisenewsdaily.com/

Based on frofro's recent experience on the Crown, perhaps there has been a recent change, unpublicized until yesterday, in Princess's Smart Casual dress code?

In the end it is your business if you want to walk around looking like you just tumbled off the turnip truck. Jeans are little inappropriate in the warmer climes at least, due to the heat. Khaki's are more comfortable and never killed anyone.

I really think that at least some of this varies depending on where each of us is from. In some parts of the country, it would be most unusual to see jeans worn in the nicer restaurants -- but in other parts of the country, it seems to be done all the time. Going to the DR on a cruise ship is intended to feel like dinner in a very nice restaurant on land, and some people feel that jeans and a t shirt makes it seem more like a moderate restaurant such as a Friday's or Applebee's. That's all. Plus, the word "jeans" covers such a wide spectrum of outfits, it's really hard to have a valid discussion. If Princess actually is allowing jeans, I'm guessing that they won't all be the fancy designer models paired with a nice shirt or top.

Archived