PRINCESS says jeans ok on Princess?

PescadoAmarillo

Fashionable jeans are the least of our worries. On our last trip around South America on the Golden, there were people in the dining room each evening using cell phones throughtout dinner. Believe it or not---most of the calls were to people on the opposite side of the dining room. One lady was calling all of her friends at four other tables.:(

I guess I look like I just fell off a turnip truck :o because I wear jeans year round. We live across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans, hot-muggy-sticky-, did I say HOT, and we all wear jeans year round.

Let's all remember that PRINCESS is just another mass market cruise ship filled with everyday people:eek: If we were the wealthy elite we would not be cruising with Princess:).

In the end it is your business if you want to walk around looking like you just tumbled off the turnip truck. Jeans are little inappropriate in the warmer climes at least, due to the heat. Khaki's are more comfortable and never killed anyone.

After seing "no shorts allowed" all over, and being told by Princess staff that jeans were OK, my 23 yr old son wore his "designer" dark navy jeans with white Gucci loafers and a long sleeve dress type shirt... hardly looked like he fell off the turnip truck and looked way better dressed than the standard collar shirt and khaki pants look !! :eek:

In the end it is your business if you want to walk around looking like you just tumbled off the turnip truck. Jeans are little inappropriate in the warmer climes at least, due to the heat. Khaki's are more comfortable and never killed anyone.

Hear HEAR!!

I sweat in a snowstorm, so jeans are not an option in the Carib for me.

That being said, most dress jeans cost a lot more than my Dockers:cool:

"Things and times change, folks".

And people (read guests) will force you to hear what they prefer, no matter what the rules are(unless you price them out of your guest preferences)

I saw t-shirts in the Palm and it slightly pissed me off. When you enforce a rule such as this, there is no leeway:D

I guess I look like I just fell off a turnip truck :o because I wear jeans year round. We live across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans, hot-muggy-sticky-, did I say HOT, and we all wear jeans year round.

Let's all remember that PRINCESS is just another mass market cruise ship filled with everyday people:eek: If we were the wealthy elite we would not be cruising with Princess:).

Me, too! I wore jeans yesterday and it was 97 degrees here in Central Texas. They felt great with my Hawaiian shirt as I drove around in my convertible with the top down (AC going, of course! ;)) I love it when people from cooler climates tell those of us in the South what we like to wear!

I'd choose shorts for a hike in the tropics but jeans in an air conditioned dining room in the evening? Why not? What is it about khaki that automatically elevates it above denim? :confused: I have to assume that this attitude against jeans goes back to the days when they were only worn on farms. But, my gosh, that was a very long time ago! My generation (and I'm 52) grew up in jeans. My 75-year-old mother wears them, too, though probably not for dinner, and she would admit that it's a generational thing. Then again, when I was 18, she wouldn't let me get my ears pierced because only "those kind" of girls had pierced ears. Later, not only did she get hers pierced, so did my grandmother! :D

I really don't worry about what other people wear, except for the man that I saw try to enter the dining room with a T-shirt that said Eat Me on it. He was told to change shirt or go to the horizon court..

"Eat Me" t-shirt? 1981 called...they want their T-shirt back....

B0007CHOKK.01-AB33NSI4CIKEF._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I honestly don't mind the jeans thing at all, I don't care either way. Personally, I don't wear them on cruises no matter what. BUT, the main thing that bothers me is that it will be like opening Pandora's Box. What some consider nice jeans and what other consider nice jeans are two totally different things.

If this really is the case where jeans will be permitted in the dining room, well, be ready to watch the frenzy at the dining room doors as some show up in jeans with holes, ripped and torn, every form there is. Then the war will be on with the dining room staff as they are turned away.

Passengers over the past 10 years have shown that if you give them an inch, they try to take a mile.

Case in point: Just read where Princess is sticking to their guns about wine and champagne limits being brought onboard. Now, for those that loved to roll on coolers, stick a luggage tag on a case of champagne, bring that case of beer gift wrapped. Well, I think you get my point. Give em an inch and they will take a mile.

Not to throw gas on the fire, but I have to mention that dress codes WERE being enforced on Grand Princess. On the first formal night, people were being turned away from the dining room for inappropriate dress. One couple was dressed very casually, in jeans and t-shirts, complaining to the purser's desk about being refused admittance. I also saw a few people complimenting the maitre d' and head waiters for attempting to maintain standards to some degree.

Assuming for a moment that your premise is correct about 'everyday people' and 'the wealthy elite', what exactly is your point?

Case in point: Just read where Princess is sticking to their guns about wine and champagne limits being brought onboard. Now, for those that loved to roll on coolers, stick a luggage tag on a case of champagne, bring that case of beer gift wrapped. Well, I think you get my point. Give em an inch and they will take a mile.

That's why people need to get their motorized beer cooler...I'm sure it can also double as a handicapped scooter. They wouldn't dare question your beer/wine then....and for topic's sake, I think Larry's attire is just fine for any cruise and the jeans on the young miss below are fine too. They'd be acceptable in the dining room.

larry_on_cooler_bu44.jpgBeer-cooler,-motorized-751062.jpg

People wear them everywhere -upscale restaurants, casual dining, country clubs and on the streets of metropolitan cities like New York and London and all the streets of Europe. Jeans is the standard casual dress for the yuppie generation.

Just like any ladies and men slacks, some look nicer than others and better on certain individuals.

It won't be the end of my cruising world if jeans should be the new norm for the dining room. I haven't stopped eating out in restaurants anywhere because of it.

I haven't quite excepted tatoos yet but I'm getting closer. :D

I think we're all going to have to accept the fact that airline baggage restrictions, ridiculous security screenings, and other factors will soon mean that formal nights are an endangered species. As for jeans, well, after what I saw some people wearing while on vacation, I have to say that jeans aren't the worst thing people could show up in.

I think we're all going to have to accept the fact that airline baggage restrictions, ridiculous security screenings, and other factors will soon mean that formal nights are an endangered species. As for jeans, well, after what I saw some people wearing while on vacation, I have to say that jeans aren't the worst thing people could show up in.

Give us details! Couldn't be as bad as the young lady at the buffet during lunch on the TP who was wearing a Brazilian cut bikini without a coverup! Thank goodness she had a Brazilian wax....

I'm going on an Alaskan cruise next week with my family and we will all wear jeans to dinner, I'm sure. I think decent jeans paired with a nice top looks fine.

I bought black evening pants and a very dressy top for formal nights. My husband is wearing a dark suit and my 16 year old son is wearing black slacks, white dress shirt and tie. Not sure what my 21 year old daughter is wearing....I think we will be dressed just fine.

I wonder who looks at anybodys jeans. If anyone is seated to eat, there is no easy way of what they are wearing below their wast. I would rather see a code for people to come in clean and odor-free. If somebody is wearing something I don't like, I can look away. If somebody stinks, where can I hide?

Good point! Times have definitely changed. People are way more casual in general. I know many women who don't even own a dress or "smart casual" clothing! Growing up, if we went downtown to shop, my dad made me wear a dress and my Sunday shoes! Now, sadly to say, very few cities have downtown shopping. Anything goes at the mall!

I think it's important to note that this new policy (if, in fact, it IS policy now, which I'm thinking it is) doesn't affect formal night dress at all...it is not in danger because of this change. And I'm willing to give Princess the benefit of the doubt when it comes to policing just which jeans are acceptable. This may be a case where "legalizing" jeans will result in cracking down on those that are unacceptable and we may actually see increased compliance with the new dress code over the old one.

But I'm with those who think it won't make a difference in the way I dress. Jeans and cruises don't generally mix for me (except to cooler climes), but it's fine with me if they do for others.

I really don't worry about what other people wear, except for the man that I saw try to enter the dining room with a T-shirt that said Eat Me on it.

He was told to change shirt or go to the horizon court.

I don't wear jeans to the dining room, but on formal nights I do not wear a cocktail dress either, but black dressy pants and a very sparkling or silk blouse. I am sure some people don't like it, but I have a good time anyway.

I believe what you wear on formal night sounds appropriate to me.

Good point! Times have definitely changed. People are way more casual in general. I know many women who don't even own a dress or "smart casual" clothing! Growing up, if we went downtown to shop, my dad made me wear a dress and my Sunday shoes! Now, sadly to say, very few cities have downtown shopping. Anything goes at the mall!

Exactly (times have changed)...not that I go to church often, but the last few times I've gone there have been numerous people wearing shorts. Growing up that was taboo. I didn't care...just made a mental note that those are good to wear for church now. I may go more often now ;)

My sister in law and I wore jeans on the Norwegian Dawn on a casual night. We both had on designer jeans with high heels and a dressy top. we were turned away and asked to please go and change while people in sweat suits were sitting next to us. Go figure! When I go on my first Princess I am going to bring Khaki type pants to be on the safe side!

After reading a different thread on dining room dress a few days ago, I thought I was the only person who couldn't figure out why another person's dress (clean, just too casual) affected others so much. Last I checked, putting on a tux doesn't stop someone from drinking too much and loudly telling lewd jokes at dinner. Putting on a cocktail dress doesn't stop someone from talking about health problems loudly enough to be heard 3 tables away in all directions. Perhaps my attitude comes from living in a place where it doesn't matter if you dress formally or wear jeans to the opera...as long as you enjoy the music, turn off your cell phone, and don't talk during the performance...WHO CARES? You'll actually see people in jeans and tuxes conversing with each other and enjoying each others' company.:eek:

I look a heck of a lot "smarter" in my black jeans than I do in a pair of dockers (how do we tell a tourist from a resident here? The tourists all dress in dockers!)

A few years ago we were visiting my MIL in Florida in the summer. She booked a cruise for us, thinking we would be more comfortable (read "cooler") on the water. I was undergoing chemo, and was swollen and miserable. Even if I was so disposed as to buy fancy clothes that I prayed would never fit again once chemo was finished, I didn't have the energy to walk into a store for groceries, much less to buy clothes. So much to my MIL's disappointment, I was going to eat at the buffet that night. When told that we hadn't brought formal clothes (of course my husband wasn't going to dress formal if I wasn't), we were invited by staff to eat in the dining room anyway, which made my MIL very happy. I'm upset to know that I probably ruined so many other people's evening:rolleyes:

A few years ago we were visiting my MIL in Florida in the summer. She booked a cruise for us, thinking we would be more comfortable (read "cooler") on the water. I was undergoing chemo, and was swollen and miserable. Even if I was so disposed as to buy fancy clothes that I prayed would never fit again once chemo was finished, I didn't have the energy to walk into a store for groceries, much less to buy clothes. So much to my MIL's disappointment, I was going to eat at the buffet that night. When told that we hadn't brought formal clothes (of course my husband wasn't going to dress formal if I wasn't), we were invited by staff to eat in the dining room anyway, which made my MIL very happy. I'm upset to know that I probably ruined so many other people's evening:rolleyes:

Great story!! Hopefully it'll make people stop and think before they rush to judgement over someone who isn't dress to their standards. Hope you're doing well.

My sister in law and I wore jeans on the Norwegian Dawn on a casual night. We both had on designer jeans with high heels and a dressy top. we were turned away and asked to please go and change while people in sweat suits were sitting next to us. Go figure! When I go on my first Princess I am going to bring Khaki type pants to be on the safe side!

For the most part on the Crown, people were dressed very nice in the dining rooms, but jeans as you described will be fine.

Archived