Planning a 10 Year Anniversary Hawaiian Cruise

glenv

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I would really love to cruise the Hawaiian Islands in March for our 10 year anniversary. We are experienced cruisers; I have cruised 6 times and she has cruised 5.

We are a whole lot confused and are hoping to get some help. I know there are a lot of threads on this subject but I am hoping I can get a summary of our concerns answered in this new thread and perhaps it can be used to help others as well.

# 1 - We understand the registry of the NCL "Pride of Hawaii" ship has been changed. How does that effect booking?

#2 - We have heard nightmares about the service on the US registered ships in Hawaii because the ship has to hire US emplyees and that means it does not have the flavor of multi-culture employees as other lines. In our opinion (and others we have read as well) the service is sub-par because the US employees are less service oriented and customer friendly. Not trying to cause a debate about that subject but in our opinion we feel it is a valid concern. We cruise because we love being spoiled and love the people that work on this ship from different countries.

#3 - Dining - From what I am reading here, it seems the dining on the most popular line cruising Hawaii (NCL) is not classified as fine dining but leans toward freestyle. I read a lot of complaints about it costing extra money to eat in a restaurant, etc. I also see that there are not enough tables to dine alone for a couple. I would like to hear from experienced Hawaiin cruisers about this matter as well.

#4 - Are there other ships available besides NCL we should consider? One thing we note is if you do not use a ship registered in the USA you end up being tendered into ports whereas the US registered ships easily get to dock.

These are just a few questions and I thank you in advance for your help. We want this to be a great anniversary trip and we want to really see all we can in of the Hawaiian Islands!

Glen and Stacey

If you happen to be from the west coast you can save a lot on airfare too by going one of the other routes, (they sail to hawaii from CA. then do the islands) For a really special trip I would suggest you go with the Diamond Princess it is a 15 day cruise from LA and the cost of a suite is not much more than a suite on the seven day Pride of Aloha. Princess IMHO is a much nicer line for a special occassion. Freestyle is fun but I would think you would want to mark this milestone with a nice formal portrait and such (at least we did) besides I would always take two weeks on a ship over one, and all those romantic at sea days...:D

My TA is running a princess special next week with reduced deposits of only 100.00 pp plus $50pp shipboard credit and a onboard coupon book. I would look into something like that if I were you

Thank you

I sure wish there were not so many days at sea on these types of cruises though....

If you happen to be from the west coast you can save a lot on airfare too by going one of the other routes, (they sail to hawaii from CA. then do the islands) For a really special trip I would suggest you go with the Diamond Princess it is a 15 day cruise from LA and the cost of a suite is not much more than a suite on the seven day Pride of Aloha. Princess IMHO is a much nicer line for a special occassion. Freestyle is fun but I would think you would want to mark this milestone with a nice formal portrait and such (at least we did) besides I would always take two weeks on a ship over one, and all those romantic at sea days...:D

My TA is running a princess special next week with reduced deposits of only 100.00 pp plus $50pp shipboard credit and a onboard coupon book. I would look into something like that if I were you

I think your decision depends on what you really want to do.

Do you want to see the most of Hawaii in the shortest amount of time at a good price? Then take an NCLA Pride ship. This cruise is all about the ports in Hawaii. If you look at it that way you will have a great time. The service is not bad, its just not the same experience as other cruises. In my opinion, you are getting a good value for your time and money versus a land based trip to Hawaii. That is the niche for these ships.

Do you want to enjoy a cruise experience? If this is the case, then take one of the 10+ day cruises that have to include a foreign port. You will get the standard of service and pampering that you are used to, and still get to see the islands. It's just going to take more time to do it.

We were there to see Hawaii and enjoyed ourselves greatly. However, we are the type that are more go with the flow. If one restuarant is busy, we have no problems either waiting or going to another restaurant.

1. Pride of Hawaii will become the Jade. I'm not exactly sure of the timing, but I believe POH can only be booked through January 08. After that you will need to book Pride of America or Pride of Aloha.

2. See what I wrote above. We still enjoyed our Hawaiian cruise very much, but others have had complaints. (When people criticize the American crew, I just hope that they are holding themselves to the same standards with respect to their own work and how they treat the people they interact with at work, as well as similar standards of courtesy as a customer. Seems to me most people think things such as this only apply to someone else, and not them.)

3. We never had problems getting a table for two. Just be more flexible in your dining plans: eat early, eat late, wait, eat in the buffet, or make reservations ahead of time in a specialty restaurant.

4. Again there are the 10+ day cruises to Hawaii that include a foreign port and sea days if you are more interested in the cruise experience vs the ports.

Thanks James

Do you know what some of the ships offering the 10 day cruises that have to visitin a foreign port?

I understand and agree about your comment about comparing work standards and agree. Still, I think there probably is a bit of truth to the reports. Probably nothing to ruin a trip though.

Thanks again

Glen

Right now the only thing NCL has scheduled like this is the Sun in September.

In March, all I can find is a 12 Night on the Celebrity Mercury departing on March 16. Or 15 Nights on Diamond Princess for March 2 or 17, or Holland America's Zaandam for March 4 and 19.

Other cruise lines are doing some 10 and 11 day Hawaiian cruises, just at other times of the year like Sept, Oct, May....

Archived