Price Question

mauimacho

I would first point out the lower price from the second agency and ask them to match it. If they won't do that and there's no cancellation fee imposed by the agency (check their website) then you can alway cancel and rebook with the other agency. Lastly, if there is a cancellation fee, then you can still do that if the price difference justifies the cancellation fee.

We had that happen with our 3/14/05 Amsterdam cruise. Received a quote from another on line booking agency after we had already booked. The first company could not match the new rate. We cancelled with them. Then after receiving confirmation from the original booking agency and paying a $50 cancellation fee, rebooked with the new agency and saved $250! Well worth the trouble.

We just went through this with our Jan 2 Oosterdam cruise.

Booked through one on line agency and found a much better price on one we had used before.

The first agency would not match the price so after getting help from HAL we tried to transfer the booking to the second agency which HAL said would be no problem.

HAL notified the first agency of our intentions and I received a phone call from the first agency the same day saying they would honor the price. I decided to stay with the second agency since i had worked with the agent before.

The first agency cancelled our reservation instead of transfering to the second TA. This put our two cabins (aft S suites) back on the market. The second TA noticed they were available and grabbed them for us.

We had to pay another deposit but have already had the first one credited to my credit card by HAL.

Bottom line.. a little hassle but we saved almost $1000 per couple.. Well worth it

Some agents are very gracious when you call to cancel your cruise because you have found a better price elsewhere. Most of us would like a chance to match your price. In some cases we can match or better the rate but in most we cannot.

When you have decided to cancel and rebook your cruise, always give the first agency as much information as you can.

"I would like you to release my cabin booking to XYZ agency. The agent's name is Mike and his phone number is XXX-XXX-XXXX." My Holland America booking number is 5555555 and I am on Maasdam, January 15, 2005. My cabin number is 7001. Since I am already under deposit, I would like you to release by booking to this agency rather than cancel it out right. I really hope that I can work with you again. I remember the really great price that you got for us last year on Volendam."

The more information you give the first agent the less he or she has to do to transfer your booking.

Be cheerful and professional, but firm.

Archived