Pray You Don"t Need Medical Attention On Crown Princess!!!

oraf7

Thanks Bunting for the article. It was encouraging. I called Princess but the rep could not tell me whether or not they had defibrillators in convenient places. But, I intend to ask on my next cruise as I had not really thought of this before.

You´re very welcome, likely the Pursers Desk for one, Royal had one there because of 24 hr manning and closeness to the dining rooms..I´ve been through airports and seen some units prominently displayed but its not the same onboard...

I think the main point here is that Princss did not handle this well and the OP should make sure Princess is aware of what happened and that appropriate action is taken so that this doesn't happen on ANY of their ships going forward.

And I believe that the OP pursuing this is trying to do just that.

About 8 years ago, my daughter and I had my 18 month old grandson at a local playground. He was on one of those climbing things that have various platforms you step up and down to access. There should have been a metal plate under each step to prevent a child from falling through the step to the ground. There was not.

My grandson stepped down, slipped backwards and fell through the step onto the ground, breaking his arm. After having him casted, she contacted the City Recreation Dept. to tell them what happened and asked why they didn't have the plates attached. The Rec. Manager said they didn't need order them with the playground equipment. She asked if he would get the plates installed - he said there was no money in the budget.

She was incensed and got an attorney. All she wanted was to have the plates ordered and installed so someone else didn't fall through and get hurt. After a lawsuit was filed, the City suddenly found the money and ordered the plates and put them on.

I hope the OP doesn't have to go that far to make sure Princess reviews their procedures to make sure this doesn't happen again. They should have quickly called the FDNY since the ship was in port.

I just feel that not to even have a gauze pads to put on open cuts and to have to scramble for napkins and tissues from peoples purses is unsanitary but again no *FIRST AID KITS ON DECK*. That is simply not right!

I guess you did not read my prior post. Princess crewmembers, except the doctor and nurses, are not allowed to “aid or touch” a pax in distress or injured. This was due to an injury that lead to a personnel injury attorney winning a case.

You now want them to supply medical equipment (I know this is a stretch, but think like a lawyer) to untrained passengers to treat other passengers. Not going to happen. Cruise lines are businesses that have hundreds of lawyers who dictate policy. They will do everything they can to reduce their “exposure” to legal claims.

PS, Please use a spell/grammar checker, it would help you convey your thoughts to the reader.

PS, Please use a spell/grammar checker, it would help you convey your thoughts to the reader.

Please follow community guidelines, I have edited the paragraph but the sense is

Spelling and Grammar ErrorsDo not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

I guess you did not read my prior post. Princess crewmembers, except the doctor and nurses, are not allowed to “aid or touch” a pax in distress or injured. This was due to an injury that lead to a personnel injury attorney winning a case.

You now want them to supply medical equipment (I know this is a stretch, but think like a lawyer) to untrained passengers to treat other passengers. Not going to happen. Cruise lines are businesses that have hundreds of lawyers who dictate policy. They will do everything they can to reduce their “exposure” to legal claims.

Here´s the link to the forum mentioned

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=553703&page=4&highlight=choking

But it says nothing about aiding a ¨passenger in distress or injured¨, it mentions a statement about dining room personnel not being permitted to conduct the Heimlich...and another Poster explained about the STCW training requirements for crew members on a vessel (irrespective of flag)...and others mentioned Good Samaritan Laws, well I´m not a lawyer, nor know NY, but feel sure that the two angels who responded would have been protected by this law? and likely did not even think about that as they rushed to help

But, you know if the statement from the previous forum about crew rendering assistance is correct then Prarie Cruiser (if you are still following this thread), may I suggest, when you do write to Princess about equipment etc maybe you could ask for clarification about the verbal statements made by the crew on that ship about aiding passengers in distress and put it in this board for everyone to be aware what is their first aid policy concerning crew responses...thanks...

Sorry but I didn't want any Princess personal to touch my father just provide me with some gauze to aid the bleeding. Can't rely onthe Doctors or nurses because you'll bleed to death waiting so long. I can fully understand the crew other than medical personal not to touch an injured passenger and I have no aches with the Princess Crew at all as they were very polite and helpful. It is FLEET MEDICAL TEAM!!! that has issues.

PS

Hope the spelling and grammer is correct as now I feel you are really going off the subject. Hope you never have such a horrific experience but then again maybe you will understand a little better.

You now want them to supply medical equipment (I know this is a stretch, but think like a lawyer) to untrained passengers to treat other passengers.

If they have AED's onboard, they already do supply medical equipment and expect that non-medical people will respond to emergencies. I don't see how having a modest first aid kit near areas like restaurants and pools would be much different.

My mother is currently in a lawsuit with Princess for the incident that I posted earlier. They recently sent her an offer and it was a joke. I laughed it was so pathetic! We had stated that they needed a better way to bring people in wheelchairs on and off the ship. I don't know how far we will get along in this process, but for their safety it NEEDS TO BE CHANGED!!! Also, the employees need to be informed the proper way to push someone in a wheelchair and how to operate it!!

I have been reading this thread with intense interest, I would just like to make a few observations.

I am am British trained, Canadian ER nurse who also triages in a busy community hospital in the Greater Toronto area. A few of colleagues (docs and RN's) also spend their vacations working on cruise ships, I also hope to do the same shortly

I can't tell you the number of times I am screamed at, verbally abused and treated like a complete moron during each triage shift because I don't treat everyones personal emergency as THE most important. These patients have absolutely no idea what we are dealing with out of sight, case in point I had a full code going on last night taking up all our departments resources, I was dealing with a grievng family and I was being harrassed because of the wait time. I DO realise that everyone is anxious, in pain and basically don't care what is happening to other people, it is their own emergency, however we are extremely well trained in tirage and have parameters to follow, plus after 25 years you do tend to have an instinct for what has to be seen first. The point I am making is that you have no idea what was going on in the clinic and what was being dealt with there. That does not mean I think that this was important, there just may have been something more important going on, you don't know. That also doesn't excuse the rudeness of the nurse, however sometimes I have been very short with patients and family when I am treated badly. I am a professional.

I was on the Crown Princess when it tipped last year. I went to the clinic and helped there for 5 hours with many other health care professionals. I was so totally amazed by the attitude of many fellow passengers and families. I was in a bathing suite with a cover up. people assumed because of the accent I was a member of the crew, (ike I go to work dressed like that) I was treated in many cases with total disrespect until I pointed out I was a fellow passenger. The crew were amazing during that incident especially the medical crew. The passengers I heard complaining that Princess should be equipped for dealing with the number of injured were totally ignorant of how health care should be provided. Our ER couldn't deal with and influx of 300 injured all at once as well as dealing with how you feel personally after such an incident. I also heard many passengers screaming down the phone to call the lawyer!!! Passengers were also outside the medical clinic taking photos of the injured for CNN until they were told to move and they should be ashamed of themselves by an RN, was she rude?

What I am trying to say is that in a moment of emergency stress makes people react differently, and you have to know the whole story. How people view that story depands on were you are viewing it from. To the OP I hope your father is well and suffers no permanent injury from this incident. Just as a point of interest, why are lawyer threats involved so much in US medical problems?!!!

A long post I know, just a different perspective

Terry

It can be quite wordy to write about how to prioritise in but it comes down quite simply to ABC's Airway, Breathing and Circulation, any of these compromised they are given priority, then we go on to the Deficits suffered. I could go on but it would get to be over 1000 words!!!!

Terry

Thank you -- appreciate your response. I had been watching the news about the earthquake in Peru and an American Doctor (I assume the newscaster meant US MD) in one of the towns was having to decide which ones to airlift because they could airlift only 8 at a time and the hospital was inundated with injured people. Somehow, I got the impression that it was a decision based on comparisons -- so one had to have some data or observations before one could set the priorites. But I do not wish to divert the discussion from the main topic. Again -- thank you (though I was amused at your using the exact figure of 1,000 words)! /Sultan

It can be quite wordy to write about how to prioritise in but it comes down quite simply to ABC's Airway, Breathing and Circulation, any of these compromised they are given priority, then we go on to the Deficits suffered. I could go on but it would get to be over 1000 words!!!!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed your post about your Dad and hope he is better. We were on the August 10-19th 2207 cruise, and heard that a 57 year old man had a heart attack on the second day, and died. A "code Alpha" was paged loud and overhead ,over the ship's main system. I guess that is the code for cardiac arrest. When we returned home, we heard from other cc's that a man had died that day after being found sweaty and shaky in his room after two days of "heartburn." I had hoped that day that the medical personnell responded appropriately, but after reading all these e-mails, I am not so sure.On our cruise, I am also sure my husband contracted a stomach virus, could have been the Norovirus, but since I am an RN, we kept him in his room, and hydrated him ourselves. We may switch to bottled water from now on in the dining rooms, especially if we ever go back on the Princess Line!!!!

Just noticed your post about your Dad and hope he is better. We were on the August 10-19th 2207 cruise, and heard that a 57 year old man had a heart attack on the second day, and died. A "code Alpha" was paged loud and overhead ,over the ship's main system. I guess that is the code for cardiac arrest. When we returned home, we heard from other cc's that a man had died that day after being found sweaty and shaky in his room after two days of "heartburn." I had hoped that day that the medical personnell responded appropriately, but after reading all these e-mails, I am not so sure.On our cruise, I am also sure my husband contracted a stomach virus, could have been the Norovirus, but since I am an RN, we kept him in his room, and hydrated him ourselves. We may switch to bottled water from now on in the dining rooms, especially if we ever go back on the Princess Line!!!!

Hi Beachgirl..I was on the ship with you as well and After the first call was made a second code alpha was announced about 10 minutes later. My Dh is a paramedic and was wondering if perhaps the first call had not been answered and that is why they announced it a second time. I don't know what happened to this poor man, just hope that a delayed response didn't play a role in his death.

was just wondering why you would switch to bottled water, do you think this is what got DH sick???

Whether or not a person is overweight, they deserve to be treated with dignity. We all have our failings in life. Yes, it is harder to provide medical attention to an overweight person, and it is much more difficult to move the person to the medical facility. However, they still deserve to be treated with the respect and dignity of any other human being. Comments such as have been made only reflect that poster's lack of respect for others.

Not being at the scene, I am guessing the medical staff on hand made a decision to ask the person if he was able to move on his own. Often, this would be accompanied by telling the person it is ok if they can't move, that more help will eventually be available to help move them. Then the decision to move or not move is left up to the person. Sounds to me that he made a decision to move in spite of the injury he had received and felt he was able to handle it.

Per the alpha code being called on the ship, it sounds to me like there may have actually been two medical emergencies. On most every cruise, some one gets very ill and many cruises someone will die. That happens normally in populations of 3000 people over a 7 day period. I have witnessed an alpha code onboard and it was handled very well.

I also was onboard a ship where the man in the cabin across from me died while water tubing in Jamaica (heart attack). I was very impressed with the support that Princess gave his wife and other friends traveling with him.

Per the Norovirus, any traveler faces that possibility whether it be on a cruise ship or a plane. Its not a nice virus, I have been a victim of it following a business plane trip. However, the best thing we can do to prevent any virus from spreading is to frequently wash our hands, something people forget to do on a cruise ship.

Julia,

We have been on 15 or 16 cruises, and don't why my DH got this virus that caused severe stomach cramps ,and probably was the Norovirus. It could have been the food or the watertoo.Interestingly,the 1st half of the cruise someone stood at the Buffet line, and squirted the Purell hand gel into your hands, and made sure that everyone washed their hands thoroughly. After our last stop at Grand Turk, no one was at the Buffet line to squirt the Purell. So they just left it up to the passengers to clean they hands at the dispenser or not, and I noticed, many then skipped this procedure. I don't think they cared if you got sick on the last three days of the cruise, because you were getting off ,and could spread your germs at home. My DH is a very meticulous person, when it comes to washing his hands, that it why I know it is something he contracted on the ship. Next time, we will take all precautions,and probably drink only the bottled water. Just bring yourself some Immodium along to these ships now, or you are at mercy of the Medical Dept!!!

iramack

Well I have read this enitre thread and finally the other shoe drops with post #48 by the OP!! I had a feeling that there was another extenuating circumstance to be revealed!!!

Seems that dad is a bit of a hefer. That's why no one would/could get him moved from his "place of rest" so to speak. I feel badly that this happened to him; but his age, weight, and medical condition were NOT the fault of Princess Cruises. He fell, he bled, and his family expected that Princess should/could rush to protect him from further harm to himself because well hey they are a cruise ship with medical staff and everything

Iramack this is what I think on your reply above:

It is sad that there are people in our society such as yourself! How dare you call my Dad a *hefer* who is the best most caring Human in the world who would have ran to your rescue and give you the shirt of his back.

So because he is a bit overweight you let him lie there and Die. Also he is only 68 and even if he was 108yrs old as a Human Being you do whatever necessary to help another fellow Human Being. Also what does him having a pre-exsisisting condition have to do with anything I ask?

I don't know how old you are or how much you weigh but you will GET OLD someday and maybe a bit overweight due to restrictions from a pre-exsisting conditions and I hope that you are never discriminated against or called a hefer. Just remember my Dad has blood running thru his veins like all your loved ones and deserved to be attended to in a much more prompt manner.

Archived