What is your fav. Souvenir you got on a cruise

BigTee2000

We've got a little basket that we watched a street vendor weave for us out of a single, big palm frond while he regaled us with tales about the island (St. Lucia). He was quite a character and my wife and I had a great time chatting with him. The basket itself is nothing extra-ordinary but it brings back fond memories of our very first cruise.

(He also weaved a little angel fish on a stick out of what was left of the fronds; that's probably my second favourite souvenir)

We've got a little basket that we watched a street vendor weave for us out of a single, big palm frond while he regaled us with tales about the island (St. Lucia). He was quite a character and my wife and I had a great time chatting with him. The basket itself is nothing extra-ordinary but it brings back fond memories of our very first cruise.

(He also weaved a little angel fish on a stick out of what was left of the fronds; that's probably my second favourite souvenir)

We have some simple necklaces that were hand-beaded with seeds and wooden beads that we got in Jamaica. I keep them in a cheap wooden bowl we got there as well. Seeing this little display always brings back thoughts of our wonderful time there. :)

We haven't cruised before but we have traveled a little bit. We get coffee mugs and Christmas ornaments. We have tea together every night before bed and it is nice to use our souvenir mugs. I also like to get some jewelry. My favorite souvies are all the digital pictures I take. I have all my vaca photos together on my computer at work as a screen saver.

For our upcoming cruise I'm hoping to get a conch shell that we can learn to play as a horn. My mother just gave me a wonderful charm bracelet, so I think I'll get a charm as well.

Edited by Maple_Girl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Before we sailed on the Queen Mary II, my DH bought me a big, beautiful coffee table book about the ship in a bookstore in Ft. Lauderdale, then had the captain sign it ! My other favorites are the original artwork that we bought in St.Martin and the beautiful ceramic lady carrying a basket of fruit on her head that we bought in St. Thomas-original and unusual. I heartiliy recommend a visit to Mr.Tablecloth- a wonderful shop in St.Thomas, filled with lovely linens and helpful sales staff. I bought our daughter a beautiful lace parasol there, too. Bring the dimensions of your dining table or buy pretty placemats/napkins sets- they make great gifts for family & friends at home, too.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My favorite souvenir would have to be the gold ship on a stick I got on the Carnival Destiny for winning the Blackjack tourny. That is the only thing I wanted to get on my cruise.

I'm trying to imagine what a "ship on a stick" is....dying of curiosity. Would you mind posting a photo of yours? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

This was a suggestion I found on these boards before our Mediterranean cruise last summer -- colorful kitchen towels from each port. Inexpensive & something you can actually use on a regular basis. And when you pull them out you are taken back to the days you spent in those locations. (We also bought a couple spoon rests in Barcelona that are so colorful on our countertop)

• 6 months later...

I try to get my passport stamped every chance I get. If there is no immigration or customs or travel office available in a port we visit, then I go to the nearest local post office and have them stamp my passport. Works well since it bears the city name and date and country. 95% of the time, they'll do it for free.

I also try to get something that's unique and original to the island or port I visit. In Mexico, I get their pure vanilla. Rum cakes from Caymans. Jerk spice in Jamaica. Larimar gems found only in Dominican Republic. You get the idea. I usually research for what I should be looking for before visiting a new place.

I love coffee so I've also brought back a 1 lb bag of local coffee from each place I've been to. I enjoy the new coffee destination every morning!

Last, I try to visit a local grocery store or variety store or food mart. I travel the aisles and pick up local spices or well-packaged baked goodies. A wonderful learning experience to see the cultural foods, what spices they cook with, local produce and even cleaning and beauty items. If you're lucky, some might carry local handicrafts for a song.

My Mexican Fire Opal ring that I got in Mazatlan in January 2000. I'd seen them in Cabo San Lucas and really loved them but they were way out of my price range. The next day, I was able to get one for under $200 in Mazatlan, which was about half of what the cost of one of the lower priced ones I saw in Cabo cost (anywhere between $400 - $600).

Mine is a rusty rail spike that was lying along the tracks in the Yukon. Passengers were not allowed off the train, but the conductor stepped off, picked it up and gave it to me. It's a nice conversation piece of our Alaskan cruise. Another is a carved stone shallow bowl that is used as a soap dish in the hall bath.

I bought a double sided flip ring in the cruise terminal at Valpariso Chili ..on a b2b2b2b around SA and the Horn in 2008. I has Jasper stone on one side and lapis on the other...I love this $40 ring and wear it all the time...I would buy more if I ever get back to the cruise terminal there again! I also love my little Pack purse I bought on a Princess cruise and I have usedfor many excursions..Cruisy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My Mexican Fire Opals would also be my favorite souvenir. I was able to buy the loose stones in Matzalan and when I got home I had my jeweler set them for me. I was able to have a ring, necklace and tennis bracelet made from the stones. The orange color is just phenomenal. I enjoy picking up unusual pieces when I find them. My sister likes to call it her retirement fund. ;) Kathy

A couple of years after my Grandmother passed away, my parents were still going through allof her stuff. I am very sentimental about family historical things and was so worried that they would toss things I might want.. so my Mom gave me a big box of "stuff" .. consisting mostly of old pictures, scrap books from the 1940's and on, recipes ..and lots of other things.

Among the items - I found:

1. both my Grandparents expired passports with many many international stamps stamped in them...

2. Holland America cruise entertainment bills including well known acts like Victor Borge, Etheyl Merman and Russel Nypes.

3. an enclosure card from flowers sent to their cabin from a friend,

4. hand made maps charting out not only the progress of their trans-atlantic journeys with dates and weather notes

5. many pictures of them on the ship looking quite smart in their very formal attire, laying out in the sun on deck upon those old teak lounge chairs..and there was even a picture of my Grandfather standing by the ship rail wearing wooden shoes from Holland!

They cruised quite a bit during their lives and Oh my goodness - what a treasure this was to me. I took these items and afixed them into a shadow box and hung it on the wall. It is still there today.

While I am not sure that a plastic drink glass may mean something to your Grandchildren ... I assure you - the photos and other (long lasting ;)) ship memorabilia will!

If you want to see it, scroll down to the bottom 3 pictures of this post:

http://equusvilla.blogspot.com/2008/01/totally-inspired.html

If you double click on them, they will enlarge and you can read the show bill for yourself!

So enjoyed seeing this, it is amazing what you have created. I hope to do a shadowbox soon with all this inspiration from you :) What an amazing gift of all this memorabilia you found in that special box.