A ? for S7S

localady

S7S-

I just came across your review of your last Veendam cruise. You talk about a VIP party that was held. Can you tell me, is this a function for Suite guests only? I ask this because we received invitations to reception with the Capt. and Hotel Mgr. and didn't attend because we thought we received the invitation in error. Our TA had indicated it was our honeymoon, and it wasn't and we declined to attend because we ASSUMED it was a reception for honeymooners. Now I am wondering if I was wrong and we should have attended. Thanks in advance for your response!:cool:

P.S. I also found our experiences at the Pinnacle in the Ryndam to be "good" but not great this time. Previously it had been "great" everytime.

The VIP Party is not just for Suite guests. Over the years the criteria has changed somewhat. When they first started hosting VIP parties (in the 80's) they were given for folks who the Line felt should be invited to dine at the Captain's Table, however because there were so many who might be eligible (repeat passengers, etc.) and not enough time for this they decided to give what is now known as the VIP Party.

At present all Suite passengers are invited as well as many others mostly because of their repeat status with HAL. As far as I know those with over 300 days are still invited, but because there are so many folks now who have their Silver Medals the list may now just include those with Gold and Platinum Medals...not sure.

Many times I have met folks who are on their first HAL cruise at the VIP party and they wondered why they were invited. It's like the upgrade fairy - who knows how it works and who all is invited?

The VIP party is for Suite passengers and for other VIPs. As an agent, I am asked constantly to list VIP passengers that are sailing. Many of my clients could care less. Others enjoy the idea of being invited. Some like to be invited but never attend. A 300 day Mariner will be invited, too.

This cocktail party is usually held at 7:30 PM and in many cases the timing conflicts with dining times, particularly in the Pinnacle Grill.

In a nutshell, if you were invited, it was not a mistake.

We were invited to a VIP gathering on our very first HAL cruise, which was on the Maasdam. We figured it was either because of our personal charm ;) - or because we were on back-to-backs. It certainly wasn't because of our accommodations - standard outside for my shipmates and lowest category NN for me. Our Cruise Critic Mariner friends who were in a suite seemed surprised to see us there!

VIP parties.

Not all suite passengers are invited to the VIP parties. We met several couples in the Neptune Lounge once and got to talking. In the past they had been invited to the VIP party. But on this particular cruise (Oosterdam) - they weren't invited. We noticed this on the Ryndam and the Maasdam recently.

Sometimes it seems like the entire ship is invited it is so crowded. Then we have been to VIP parties when there were only about 2 dozen people invited.

No rhyme or reason for the invitaions.

The VIP party is for Suite passengers and for other VIPs. As an agent, I am asked constantly to list VIP passengers that are sailing. Many of my clients could care less. Others enjoy the idea of being invited. Some like to be invited but never attend. A 300 day Mariner will be invited, too.

This cocktail party is usually held at 7:30 PM and in many cases the timing conflicts with dining times, particularly in the Pinnacle Grill.

In a nutshell, if you were invited, it was not a mistake.

The time of the party has been changed in order to accomodate almost everyone. It is now held at 7:15 which enables those with the 5:45 seating to have an after dinner drink. Those with 6:15 can get there before the party ends and those with 8:00 and 8:30 certainly have no difficulty. Persons with Pinnacle reservations would number very few and most usually would be able to change their booking.

Localady......

My Review of Veendam? We have not been on Veendam for at least three plus years. I think you may mean a review I might have written re: Maasdam?

We are booked to return to Veendam in January and are very much looking forward to it.

My apologies, I did mean Maasdam. It was late, and I am known to get those 2 "Dam" ships confused!:cool: P.S. Thank you all for the reply, we may have been asked to attend because we too were doing a B2B, it's certainly not my shining disposition.:eek: Thanks all for explaining the VIP party to me, I probably would have attended, at least once, out of curiosity!

No problem.....I figured that was what you meant.

Oh, by the way......we always enjoy those parties and have met some fabulous people there who we well may have not met had we not attended. Some of those folks have become very dear friends with whom we are constantly in touch and we have seen on future cruises.

We were invited once, probably because our TA noted that it was our anniversary. Our TA at that time was an acquaintance who handled a lot of large corporate travel accounts. We were on the Noordam and there were about 2 dozen other people at the event. We met some very charming people who greeted us elsewhere on the ship during the remainder of our cruise. If invited again, we would probably attend.

Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would not attend. We have felt it has been an honor to be invited on our HAL cruises, especially since so few pax receive invitations. There is only a reasonably small number of guests, it is a very nice opportunity to talk one on one with the Captain and HM who are most gracious, we have met some very nice pax, and if nothing else interests you about a cocktail party, the appetizers are terrific. It's only for a short time before dinner (for us) or after dinner for early seating guests, so I am puzzled why the invitation wouldn't be accepted. :confused:

We didn't accept because we were incorrect in believing it was a cocktail party for honeymooners. There had been a mix up and although we honeymooned on the Amsterdam in December, we received a congratulatory certificate 2 times on this cruise for "honeymooning" on the Ryndam. It was a very nice gesture, especially since nothing was done on the Amsterdam cruise, but I assumed it was a reception for honeymooners and those repeating the vows and I didn't want to have to go as we weren't "honeymooners".

We would have happily attended had I not made this assumption!:rolleyes:

I understand that, localady. I really meant the question for others who just don't go and know the invitation was meant for them. :rolleyes:

(If it is because it is a 'cocktail' party, my DH doesn't drink and easily has juice or tonic with no problem. In fact orange juice is one of the choices they offer on trays as you walk in the door to any HAL cocktail party.)

We have always rec`d an invitation to the VIP parties when we have been on BtoBs or have been sailing in a suite. I enjoy them immensely. If you receive an invitation and don`t go, do you send a note to the HM telling him you won`t be able to accept? or do you just forget it? Courtesy warrants a reply IMO....jean :cool:

The VIP party is for Suite passengers and for other VIPs. As an agent, I am asked constantly to list VIP passengers that are sailing.

That might explain why Christopher and I were invited to a VIP party on the Volendam in 2002 even though we were only in an A category verandah cabin and on the Statendam later that year, even though that time we were only in an outside cabin (E category). My Travel Agent must have put us on a list.

I just looked at the invitation (I kept it) and it was addressed to me by my full, formal title ... and I had not "unveiled myself" (so to speak) on that cruise. I'd been wondering how they knew, and suspected that someone might have recognized me from prior sailings or some such. Now I think I know how they knew ... I have a naughty TA. :D

We have been invited without having booked a Suite as well. In fact, we've been invited more times than not. We usually will attend, even if it's just to drop in and thank the Captain and Officers for the invitation. :)

We really enjoy those parties and while we never attend the Suite Lunch, we have never missed these cocktail parties. We always meet lots of interesting people.

Last summer on Zuiderdam, we had the pleasure of meeting the alternate Captain of QM2. He was 'a guest' aboard and was not in uniform. One needed to be introduced to know who he was. How disappointed I would have been if we had not gone and someone later told us he had attended and we missed the pleasure of meeting him......what a delight he is!!!

Archived