Eurodam is taking shape

Copper10-8

Indeed. It's why I bring a lap top, do all my reading and writing OFF LINE, then get on line to post and download the latest copy of the threads and my e-mails.

Yes Im thinking of investing in the mini PC. eepc they call it. Its half the weight and size and does the same job , easy to carry round when travelling .

seems good , would be ideal for cruise vacations.

Yes Im thinking of investing in the mini PC. eepc they call it. Its half the weight and size and does the same job , easy to carry round when travelling .

seems good , would be ideal for cruise vacations.

My husband has one of these mini PC's and he really, really likes it. It is very portable and great for offloading pictures, checking email and surfing the web while away from home. He purchased it from a friend at work so he didn't pay full price. He carries a regular laptop every day to work as he is a network consultant and that can be pretty cumbersome so having a much smaller version is nice for other times. It has a protective sleeve and is no bigger than a regular sized tablet. The touch screen is fun too!:D When we drove to N.C. from Pittsburgh for the Alison Krauss concert (great concert!) I played movies on it in the car.:p

diane

My husband has one of these mini PC's and he really, really likes it. It is very portable and great for offloading pictures, checking email and surfing the web while away from home. He purchased it from a friend at work so he didn't pay full price. He carries a regular laptop every day to work as he is a network consultant and that can be pretty cumbersome so having a much smaller version is nice for other times. It has a protective sleeve and is no bigger than a regular sized tablet. The touch screen is fun too!:D When we drove to N.C. from Pittsburgh for the Alison Krauss concert (great concert!) I played movies on it in the car.:p

diane

Thats great , thanks for the thumbs up :)

diane

I've heard of these...who makes it? I would love one for travel!

I've heard of these...who makes it? I would love one for travel!

The pc my husband has is a Samsung Q1. The box it came in is the size of a shoebox so that gives you an idea of size. I was even using it to browse the web while he was driving. That was the coolest ever! He can browse the web through his cell phone so he hooked the pc up through his phone. Between movies and using the internet I didn't know a 7 hour drive could be that fun!:D

diane

The YouTube clip says Asus. Amazon is showing several models for sale ranging from $299 to $550.

Since I am not very familiar with the range of options for these mini pc's. (computers are my husband's specialty, not mine), I looked at the Asus series you mentioned on Amazon and they are neat. My daughter would get a kick out of the pink one! And they seem very affordable. I did see that the Samsung Q1 my husband has is quite expensive new. On Amazon it starts at over $800. As I mentioned my husband did buy it used from a friend so he didn't pay that much. Just briefly looking at the machines I think the Q1 may be more because it uses a touch screen instead of a keyboard. Cost might be a factor but the little Q1 is quite an amazing little machine. Whichever direction you would go, these little machines are very easy to carry around!

diane

Not intending to hijack this thread, but the Asus Eee PC has a Linux operating system that says it is Windows XP compatable. How easy would that be to work with? Any thoughts? Does this mean it would look and act like any other Windows PC?? I've never used another operating system. :o

Not intending to hijack this thread, but the Asus Eee PC has a Linux operating system that says it is Windows XP compatable. How easy would that be to work with? Any thoughts? Does this mean it would look and act like any other Windows PC?? I've never used another operating system. :o

Yes you can use both and Windows XP will operate the same as on any other PC. Does the Eurodam have wifi in the cabins or is it a cable ??

... the Asus Eee PC has a Linux operating system that says it is Windows XP compatable. How easy would that be to work with? Any thoughts? Does this mean it would look and act like any other Windows PC?? I've never used another operating system. :o
Linux is a small-system variant of Unix, and I'm skeptical that it can be very "XP compatible". As far as the user interface, you would see some familiar aspects and some that are dissimilar. You would need some learning-curve time, which would vary with how many of the available functions you used.

Yes you can use both and Windows XP will operate the same as on any other PC.
I would say that it can use "either", rather than "both" ... same as any PC.
Does the Eurodam have wifi in the cabins or is it a cable ??
If it is like the Vistas it will not have cable, but it will have a 56 Kpbs dial-up port and some degree of wifi signal. It may or may not work well depending on your PC adapter and your proximity to a hallway antenna. On the Zuiderdam my laptop was faster on the dial-up port than on the wifi signal.

Good morning from Amsterdam!

Took a couple of pics from the Eurodam blog - Looks like the City of Rotterdam is getting ready for Tuesday's event (building the reviewing stand). Looking forward to it! The weather is starting out the same this morning (Sat) as it did yesterday when we landed at Schiphol; gusting winds and some rain showers - yesterday, during the morning and into the pm, the sun came out and it was nice. After some catching up on sleep,we had a great day in Amsterdam. It stayed light until almost 9:30 PM

Tribune006.jpg

Tribune007.jpg

Good morning from Amsterdam!

Took a couple of pics from the Eurodam blog - Looks like the City of Rotterdam is getting ready for Tuesday's event (building the reviewing stand). Looking forward to it! The weather is starting out the same this morning (Sat) as it did yesterday when we landed at Schiphol; gusting winds and some rain showers - yesterday, during the morning and into the pm, the sun came out and it was nice. After some catching up on sleep,we had a great day in Amsterdam. It stayed light until almost 9:30 PM

Tribune006.jpg

Tribune007.jpg

And in the black building across the river I live, and the bridge you see

the people in Rotterdam give it the name the Swan.

Ik ben jaloers op je uitzicht!

I envy the view of your appartment.

Looking forward to have John and Maria here within a few hours. He is supposed to bring lots of californian sunshine.....

Glad you and Maria are safely in the Netherlands! I'm sure you've had a great visit with Ine and Ton. Be sure to unwrap that sunshine before we arrive Monday! ;)

We had a really good time at Ine and Ton's yesterday, great company, topped off with a home-made Indonesian dinner

And in the black building across the river I live, and the bridge you see

the people in Rotterdam give it the name the Swan.

Dan heb je een heel mooi uitzicht, Toos!! /Then you've got a great view, Toos!!

Archived