Difficulty of hike to the Baths

nates04

My wife and I are planning on going to the baths, but I was wondering what the difficulty level is of hiking down and back up to the baths. I have heard something about two paths, one easier and one harder...do they take you to the same spot? Is there signs that tell you which path to take.

My wife and I are in ok shape, but are not prepared to climb over rocks or crawl under rocks. I also get a bit claustrophobic, so I don't like the idea of squeezing between rocks to get down to the beach (I am also a fairly big guy, so I just don't like to squeeze into small spaces in general;)). I have seen some pictures that made it look like people were going through some fairly tight spaces.

I appreciate any help you can give us. Again we are in decent shape, but I just don't want to be climbing through any cracks in the rocks.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hiking down and up the trail to the baths is not that hard. If you are in reasonably good shape it should be no problem. But be carefull of climbing through the rocks to get to the beach on the other side. You do have to wade through water or crawl up rocks,sqeeze through spots and even pull yourself up the rocks on a rope. I thought it would be easier than it was!!

My wife and I are in ok shape, but are not prepared to climb over rocks or crawl under rocks. I also get a bit claustrophobic, so I don't like the idea of squeezing between rocks to get down to the beach (I am also a fairly big guy, so I just don't like to squeeze into small spaces in general;)). I have seen some pictures that made it look like people were going through some fairly tight spaces.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy here but if this is the case, why bother to go to the Bath's? The trail going under, over and thru the rock's (yes, you do all three) is the attraction for most folks, otherwise it's just a beach day. If you just want the beach then why not stay on Tortola rather than spend the money and time to get to Virgin Gorda? There are plenty of beautiful beaches on Tortola and no climbing around rocks to worry about. Just curious, that's all. :confused:

My wife and I are planning on going to the baths, but I was wondering what the difficulty level is of hiking down and back up to the baths. I have heard something about two paths, one easier and one harder...do they take you to the same spot? Is there signs that tell you which path to take.

I appreciate any help you can give us. Again we are in decent shape, but I just don't want to be climbing through any cracks in the rocks.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Any person in reasonable shape can do the trail through the Baths BUT:

1. There are spots that are somewhat closed in

2. There is one part (very short distance) that you have to do on your knees or bum ( I had to do it on my bum)

3. The tightest space can be avoided by climbing up a large boulder (there is a rope to assist the climb).

I have done the Baths trail twice and I have arthritis and 2 bad knees - so physically as long as you can walk and go up and down a couple of stairs and crouch, it is doable.

The other trail is from the parking lot - it does not involve going through the Baths at all and you end up at the same beach at the other side of The Baths. It is definitely easier (but in my opinion not as much fun). It is a reasonable alternative for someone who is not comfortable going through The Baths. The only difficulty with this trail is the path to follow is NOT totally obvious and there are a number of side paths. One must be careful to stick to the main path. The trail that goesTHROUGH the Baths is very obvious - quite impossible to get lost. The other trail might be a problem for the seriously directionally challenged.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy here but if this is the case, why bother to go to the Bath's? The trail going under, over and thru the rock's (yes, you do all three) is the attraction for most folks, otherwise it's just a beach day. If you just want the beach then why not stay on Tortola rather than spend the money and time to get to Virgin Gorda? There are plenty of beautiful beaches on Tortola and no climbing around rocks to worry about. Just curious, that's all. :confused:

I agree that is a good question. Mainly we wanted to go because my wife wanted to go. She likes to do things of this sort, but I wanted to know if it was going to be too extreme for me. I think I could probably do it, but I don't know if I would enjoy myself. I appreciate the help. The more I hear, the more I am leaning to just going to a beach in Tortola.

The only reason I am still leaning slightly to doing the baths is because I hear the beach is beautiful there, but I am not sure if it will be worth it.

Thanks again for the help.

Someone told me that it is just a great sight to see and it's worth it to go for that reason. Is that true?

Here are a few of my shots from there, make your own choice. Remember, how much people like any particular place is a personal opinion. While I found the Bath's interesting I'm not like some other folks that feel they want to go back. It's certainly interesting and pretty but for me it's more like, seen it, done it, been there and although I would stop if it happened to be near where I was heading, I am not in any great rush to go back. But like I said, that's just me. :)

1076720926044477402S425x425Q85.jpg

1076721049044477402S425x425Q85.jpg

2186609040044477402S425x425Q85.jpg

2996680010044477402S425x425Q85.jpg

There are actually two paths at the Baths.....one easier and one difficult. My husband and I did the easier one and it was not very hard at all. We are not in the greatest of shape either and didn't have a problem. It is not very steep....it is gradual, kind of like steps. There are rocks that you have to go around, however.

I am attaching a couple pictures of the path.

2152853460046899484S600x600Q85.jpg

2973537560046899484S600x600Q85.jpg

Perhaps we should clarify for the OP that there is a path to get to the Bath's and another trail that goes thru the Bath's form one beach to another. I agree with Sandi, getting there should be no problem, the trail thru the Bath's on the other hand might be a different story considering the posters concerns.

I appreciate everyone’s help.

My current understanding is that I shouldn't really have a problem getting to the baths. But the main attraction of the Baths is moving from one beach to the next, and this is really the more difficult part.

We are still trying to decide what to do, but will likely go snorkeling or just relax at another beach.

Thanks again.

here are some pics from 2wks ago.

1st two pics: path going down to beach area from the gift shop/drop off location

2nd two pics: 2 areas within the Baths where you climb/squeeze through.

3rd pic: if this wide body can pass through...i think many people can.

808767811_ResizeofDSC02166.jpg.8141a6de59690f8a85a2ab97f6c4625f.jpg

1552502449_ResizeofDSC02167.jpg.1de752f3574443af72a7520a26a7db14.jpg

1719278411_ResizeofDSC03980.jpg.3a7584f210645fcc2696ccf9cddbe1eb.jpg

1279686173_ResizeofDSC03991.jpg.4e82961875ffe01a735b453487a94ab8.jpg

124085619_ResizeofDSC03963.jpg.3838b76ec3a01f151522401da8411060.jpg

If you arrive at the parking lot, stay to the path on the right. It is less strenuous and more gradual. At the bottom is a little beach bar and nice beach. If you look to the left, you will see the entrance to, in my opinion, the nicer beach but...the trail THROUGH the Bath's boulders is strenuous (up, over, under, and around boulders bigger than your house), confined, and not for anyone with a physical disability. The trail up from that beach is steeper and more difficult. If you arrive by catamaran to the beach, there is no real need to go up the path to the top. There are a couple of little shops at the top and a restaurant but the beach bar at the Baths should have everything you may need. This trip is not disabled friendly and it would be impossible in a wheelchair! By the way, if you are a decent swimmer, you can swim around the boulders from one beach to another. Also, be careful if you climb up on the boulders to jump into the water. In one of my visits here, a teenager jumped in and landed on an urchin (OUCH!!) He had about 8-10 spines in his foot that had to be removed and medically attended to...fun but with caution!

• 2 weeks later...
Perhaps we should clarify for the OP that there is a path to get to the Bath's and another trail that goes thru the Bath's form one beach to another. I agree with Sandi, getting there should be no problem, the trail thru the Bath's on the other hand might be a different story considering the posters concerns.

I have a few Q's please:

So can one get from one beach to the other (going through the boulders) without getting their camera wet? Are there places where you're submerged in the water, or does it just come to your kness? Are there lockers down at the beach? Is it worth the trouble to take our snorkeling gear?

I have a few Q's please:

So can one get from one beach to the other (going through the boulders) without getting their camera wet? Are there places where you're submerged in the water, or does it just come to your kness? Are there lockers down at the beach? Is it worth the trouble to take our snorkeling gear?

- there is no place within The Baths where you would be submerged. in fact, the guide will tell you..."if the water starts getting higher, you are going the wrong way" (inside The Baths). typically the water is no higher than your knees.

- i would bring a ziploc bag (preferably the freezer version, since it's thicker). you might accidentally drop your camera as you maneuver through.

- my wife and i used the lockers, but remember...if you start on the beach with the lockers and go to the other beach via the baths...you will, obviously have to come back through to get yoru stuff. (you won't be able to hike the back trail, if you are pressed for time).

• 1 month later...
- there is no place within The Baths where you would be submerged. in fact, the guide will tell you..."if the water starts getting higher, you are going the wrong way" (inside The Baths). typically the water is no higher than your knees.

- i would bring a ziploc bag (preferably the freezer version, since it's thicker). you might accidentally drop your camera as you maneuver through.

- my wife and i used the lockers, but remember...if you start on the beach with the lockers and go to the other beach via the baths...you will, obviously have to come back through to get yoru stuff. (you won't be able to hike the back trail, if you are pressed for time).

Thank you ZoneHPH!

I have a few Q's please:

We were there last week and were glad we took our snorkel gear. Lots of fish and large rocks/coral to look at. We went down the path to the right, then made our way through the caves to the other side (I carried my camera the whole way without any problems), then walked back up the hill and down the path to the right again (it's a long walk!). We liked the beach side to the right the best - plus it has food/drinks. We snorkeled around the large rocks to the right. It was beautiful there and worth seeing.

oh as for snorkelling gear. leave it. that's just more junk to carry. you'll your hands to be free.

Oh wow, I totally disagree with that advice! We carried our snorkeling gear to the beach at the very end of the Baths and enjoyed the best snorkeling of our entire trip! Fish everywhere, coral, it was amazing!!!

If you don't want to go through the caves I would not go at all. The caves are the best part of the baths. We did this last April. We were 3 couples in our early to mid 50's all in pretty good shape. You will be crawling thourgh rocks and over rocks in the water. It is so worth it very beautiful and different. The beach itself is not that great to me. The beaches on Tortola are much nicer. If your not going in the caves stay on Tortola. It not worth the money to get there just for the beach.

If you don't want to go through the caves I would not go at all. The caves are the best part of the baths. We did this last April. We were 3 couples in our early to mid 50's all in pretty good shape. You will be crawling thourgh rocks and over rocks in the water. It is so worth it very beautiful and different. The beach itself is not that great to me. The beaches on Tortola are much nicer. If your not going in the caves stay on Tortola. It not worth the money to get there just for the beach.

Did you go to the Devil's Bay beach? I thought that was incredibly beautiful, looked like the Corona commericals! :p

I agree, the best part of the Baths is walking through the caves.

Oh wow, I totally disagree with that advice! We carried our snorkeling gear to the beach at the very end of the Baths and enjoyed the best snorkeling of our entire trip! Fish everywhere, coral, it was amazing!!!

I guess this is true for The Baths beach (where the snack bar is). My wife and I went straight through the caves and to the other side...Devils's Bay Beach.

The beaches were ok. Clearly the caves are the attraction. I suppose I could have brought a small backpack...but the reason for my statement is because i'm just not a fan of carrying a lot of things for certain activities...this being one of them.

There are other places where I could snorkel. But that's just me.

I guess this is true for The Baths beach (where the snack bar is). My wife and I went straight through the caves and to the other side...Devils's Bay Beach.

The beaches were ok. Clearly the caves are the attraction. I suppose I could have brought a small backpack...but the reason for my statement is because i'm just not a fan of carrying a lot of things for certain activities...this being one of them.

There are other places where I could snorkel. But that's just me.

Nope, we were at Devil's Bay (we didn't go to the Bath's main beach) and the snorkeling was outstanding. There were hundreds of fish (tangs, angels, butterflies, parrot fish, I could go on and on) and we saw live coral, urchins, crabs, etc. It was really beautiful and the water was so clear. It was totally worth bringing the snorkel gear. This was last week... don't know if things have changed. Just my two cents.

Archived