Skagway, Frontier Excursions

Netty

We found this outfit in our Great Alaskan Tour Saver coupon book and wonder if anyone has taken their "City and summit (bus) tour of Skagway"? If so what is your opinion? The price is so much less (25% with discount coupon) than the "White Pass Summit Bus & Rail Excursion" we were considering and we would like to know if the Frontier tour is a good value?

My Mom & I went on this tour a few years ago with Frontier. We loved it. It was in a small bus that held about 15 people.

The trip paralled the train route on the other side of the "gourge?" . Don't know how to say it, but the train is close by the mountains on one side then when the glacier went through there is a big gourge and the road that goes to the Yukon territory is on the other side.

Anyway ... You make alot of stops along the way at lookout points. There are information boards at the stops to tell you what you're looking at.

We liked our Frontier guide very much. He was a local and had alot to say about the history of Skagway and what it's like to live there now. On the way back to Skagway we stopped at the "Welcome To Alaska" sign and the guide was more then happy to take pictures for us in front of it.

Some folks really like the train but we liked being able to get out and walk around. We felt Frontier was top notch, Mom called a few times when we were thinking of booking and enjoyed talked to the women there.

We did a rail/bus excursion to the Yukon with Chilkoot Charters, and it was wonderful. They also have bus tours that are considerably less expensive than the ones involving the train, but it's hard to beat Frontier's cost when using a Toursaver coupon!

To the OP - just be aware that you won't be going to the Yukon, and probably not even to Canada, on the Frontier excursion that is listed on the Toursaver coupon. However, when talking with their office last spring, I was told that they would give a discount (25%, I think) if I preferred to book a different tour.

Take a look at the WP&YR map. Notice that the railroad tracks are on the right side and the road is on the left, and you can see where each goes on its journey to the Yukon: http://www.wpyr.com/multimedia/routemap.html

I'm not sure which tour the Toursaver coupon is for. We did the Hike with Huskies excursion with Frontier and I thought it was excellent. The people I made the arrangements with were courteous and professional. We were on a small bus that could have held 25 but there were only 9 of us. Our tour guide (unfortunately, can't remember his name) was very knowledgeable. We rode all the way to Carcross and Emerald Lake and stopped many times for photo ops. The hike we did with the huskies was spectacular. I would absolutely recommend them.

Archived