Shoes for touring Europe (merged discussion)

I wear New Balance walking sneakers everywhere and have never had a problem with my feet. I walk 4 miles every day and have toured all over Europe in my New Balance walking sneakers ( always buy the models made for walkers ) . I wear white with shorts and black with long pants ( they look more like shoes ).

Mephisto--either their walking shoes or their Allrounders are great. :)

After 3 foot surgeries I am very picky about my shoes...and comfort is #1. I have found that so far, Mephistos work for me. But, every foot/comfort is so individual. I would suggest--trying on lots of shoes, and buying what works best for you. What shoe might be great for someone, hurts you to no end. Shop around...and walk in the shoes for a day to find if they will work for you while in Europe.

• 3 weeks later...

Every since my major foot surgery, I have worn Easy Spirit sandals.

they have a great thiick sole. also have a pair of easy spirit slipons that I toured all over S. Africa in this year. Two pair are a must!! :)

I wear New Balance walking sneakers everywhere and have never had a problem with my feet. I walk 4 miles every day and have toured all over Europe in my New Balance walking sneakers ( always buy the models made for walkers ) . I wear white with shorts and black with long pants ( they look more like shoes ).

New Balance for me too, always comfortable, and I have hard to fit feet.

• 2 months later...

That is a subjective question

what is good for my feet may not be suitable for yours

I wore my TEVA sandals all over Greece, DH likes his pro walkers or Saucony runners.

Find a good pair of shoes and work them in before you go

I love my Finn Comfort clogs with good heavy walking socks (REI or Foot Solutions carry some good padded socks). Yeah, it's a little dorky looking, but they made a huge difference in comfort for me. I wore them on my October trip to Great Britain and my November trip to the Med and for the first time in years, I did not have blisters or sore feet. I alternated them with Brooks sneakers. I was pretty much at my wits end with vacation shoes as I seem to just beat the life out of my feet every time. I always get SO many huge blisters and I hobble by the end of most trips. I have an entrapped nerve that flares up from all the walking. I have been to so many foot doctors and I just don't get relief. On a whim, when I saw their sign, I went into Foot Solutions and these were the shoes and socks they recommended. They had me go up a full size in my sneakers (shocked me) and they swore that the socks would make a big difference as they have gel-like areas in them. I think the socks are Thorlos. They were right. I had such great success.

In the past, I've burned through Merrills and Clarks and assorted other supposed walking shoes. These truly were the best. I will say the clogs are sorta ugly but I don't care--it was worth it not to have pain and not to have blister upon blister upon blister.

It's also helpful to know time of the year you are going and what type of shoe you are looking for. (eg., do you want a walking shoe, a sandal, etc.) For example, some prefer sandals while other (me) do not find them very uncomfortable with no support for long walks. So, more specifics would be helpful. And you didn't mention if you are a male or female which would also help.

Keith

I like to wear a dressier shoe when city sightseeing. If you're looking for anything along those lines I can recommend the Cole Haan shoes with Nike air as very comfortable and supportive for a full day of walking. I also have a pair of ecco loafers that have been very comfortable, but not all ecco shoes that I've tried on have felt as good as these.

Comfortable shoes are a must! After years of following fashion, now I go strictly for comfort - if they look good that's a bonus but not the most important factor.

For warm weather, I love the Colombia thong sandals - they are well-made, have a great arch and soft insole, with a sturdy molded sole. I wish I could recall the style, I searched on the Colombia site to no avail as they are showing winter shoes now. A search for sandals brought these up, but the ones I love are similar but with a different top that hugs your big toe. The sole and insole look right, though.

http://www.columbia.com/product.aspx?p=5613&cat=51040&top=5

For winter, I try a series of clogs and slides, but for walking in Europe in early May(it will still be chilly), I plan on taking my black EasySpirit lace up leather ("tennies") walking shoes with some good socks. http://www.endless.com/dp/B000Q98228?tag=nextag-endless-20&linkCode=asn

But I think if I were buying a new pair, I'd try the ones with the zipper.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/17747281.html

Good luck - shoes are sooo important to having a good time!

We've been in Europe the past two years.

Last year I mostly wore my white tennis shoes. Although they were a lighter type shoe, not a grossly big tennies shoe. I was very comfortable and thankful I wore those. No blisters and no sore feet.

I saw lots of people with bandaids who were wearing sandals.

Personally I never wear sandals in cities. I don't like how my feet get dirty and you never know what's on the ground.

This year I took a Sketcher's type shoe (tennis looking, in black, but more stylish) with a Mary Jane strap with velcro. I hated them. I got them 3 months before the trip, wore them a lot, took my lunch 1/2 hour walks in them.

Well, on the trip I got a blister on the bottom of my foot and a bad one on my heel. The velcro sometimes came undone. I couldn't them fitted quite right.

However, also on this trip I brought a pair of Ecco brown leather walking shoes. I wore them every day for the land portion of our trip in Italy.

Next year in the Spring I'm still not sure what I'm wearing but I will definitely bring my sturdy tennies.

I will look into the suggestions here.

I always wear Rieker's, whether I'm travelling or not! You can get them at www.zappos.com. They have tons of cool styles, and they definitely DON'T look like stereotypic "comfy shoes." And as someone with a very bad back, I can attest to the shock-absorption in the heels--awesome! On many, many occasions I have worn them all day long, walking maybe twenty miles per day, with no problems at all.

Alas, it looks like my favorites--the Merrell Ventilator--have been discontinued...

But, I love these as well:

http://www.merrellboot.com/Product/NZGP/Mens-Casual-Footwear/Slip-Ons/Mens/Jungle-Moc.aspx

Pretty much I'd go with ANY Merrell slip-ons (they make both Men's and Women's)...

Great support, lightweight, easy to put on and take off yet constructed so as not to slip or fall off...comfortable and work well with casual attire of all sorts...

When I pack for a cruise, I take two pairs of Merrells and a pair of tuxedo shoes for formal nights...and that's it...

Hello!

I always travel with a pair of Mephisto All Rounders (sandals with tennis shoe support) and my feet are always happy.

In cooler climates, I wear Mephisto boots (if I don't want the tennis shoe look) and if I wear tennies I like anything by Ecco.

I'm also addicted to the Mepisto Helen's, which I take along for pool side, cabin use, etc. and I can get away with the black patent (sp?) version under long black pants for formal night.

Nothing good pair of shoes makes all the difference when you're on a long day tour....

Enjoy all of your travels...

murphysmum;)

I like the Mesphisto allrounder either in the sneaker or sandal. Very comfortable and light. They come in many different colors.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/3618946/c/55674.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/22912762/c/113770.html

I agree. I own 5 pairs of Mephisto Allrounder sneakers (I wouldn't wear the sandals though. I think they are ugly...and just a little too 'old' looking for me). I LOVE my Mephisto sneakers though.

They are the BEST.

I have had 3 foot surgeries, and I fine these do me very well (I am BIG on comfort!). I first tried out these shoes at Disneyland...before heading to Europe.

For sandals I use a pair of Mephisto fisherman sandals. But, I love the shoes so much, that I even bought the 'Carly' shoe for formal nights.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/15158243/c/25688.html

My feet never hurt during the whole Med cruise we just came back from last month. :)

Archived