Shoes for touring Europe (merged discussion)

You might want to ask an orthopedist or podiatrist about shoes- she might be a candidate for a custom orthothotic- a proper diagnosis of why she has pain might be helpful. I use Footprints by Birkinstock- my ortho recommended them for particular foot pain.

Quick question..we're they white? the only reason I asked was I was really dreading being proven wrong by DH so I kept an eye out ;) lots of athletic shoes, but not the white big Nike's that you see in North America. They all seemed a lot more stylish.
And DW and I thought we were the only ones obsessed with shoes in europe:D The kids all wore the usual white shoes...but the adults had a variety of colors, including bright red (for men). We thought it was a hoot that we americans were the only ones wearing what we wrongly assumed would be typical German footwear. Another observation...when we were in the alps, everyone changed into hiking boots before we boarded the cable car...even if they had no intention of leaving the paved overlook at the top.

Kathy - thank you. I will look for the lambs wool. We will also look at the finn sandals.

knitter-Thank you. We will add Berkinstock to the list.

Vanna- My husband has Merrell's. I did not realize they make women's shoes also. We will look for them.

This great everyone. I am hopeful we can find some shoes that will work for her.

The Beach and Caymen styles of Crocs are good for walking. They were originally used for boat shoes, so they would be excellant for wet surfaces. They are also considered orthopedic and are recommended for people with foot problems. The exception to that is people with Plantar Fasciatis.

Birkenstocks are also very good. They have a shock absorbing footbed and have both arch and metatarsal support built in. The Birkenstocks have a deep tread o the sole which makes them good for slippery or uneven surfaces.

New Balance shoes are also very good. Make sure you go to a New Balance store and they will fit your daughter for both the activity and the shape, size, and pronation of her foot.

HTH.

Thanks Canada rose. Thanks for the rockport endorsement. I think the tennis shoes are the least of our indicators that we are tourist. We have cameras maps and head to all the tourist spots. I have never found it to be a bad thing to look like a tourist, if you do then people know who to help.

nanadeborah- I wish we had a new balance store. We do have a good athletic shoe store where they fit you and observe you on the treadmill. I will ask the fellow there if they have New Balance. DD has Crocks so that is an option.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi if you can't find what you are looking for locally go to www.zappos.com. They have an amazing list of brand name shoes to choose from (everything but the Merrells listed previously) and they have FREE overnight delivery and FREE returns. Plus they list customer comments about each shoe. Happy shopping! Jane

Clarks, Skechers or Naturalizers.

Wore all three all over Europe. Was a gymnast when younger and am now paying for lots of broken toes, sprained ankles etc..... so I am very careful about what I wear when I am to walk alot.

For her age the Skechers would be good as they have many styles that would appeal to the younger age group. I wore my Skechers to walk all over Pompeii (uneven cobbles) instead of "the dread white tennis shoes".

Clarks and Naturalizers have more "in town" look and I wore them while walking all over Rome, Florence etc.....

show her this site www.skechers.com

Anyone who has lived in Europe for longish periods of time can spot Americans from many yards distant. Hairstyles, body language, speaking volume, cut of clothing, weight and posture usually give us away. (Most of the above also mark us as tourists in New York.)

So wearing black sneakers is not a good disguise. Besides, isn't it fun to guess the Europeans when they are tourists here?

you are going to look American if you wear bright colors, shorts and tennis shoes.

Depending where you go, the styles are different and they are different depending on the season.

If you don't want to stand out- young people wear jeans and black tennis shoes- not white ones.

Middle age and older women wear dresses and skirts- not pants.

But I am 42 and wear white capri pants and polo shirts- orange, fushia and yellow- with white deck shoes. I scream America! Can't help it- I just don't like jeans in summer or black tennis shoes very much.

Hi Rebecca.

I, too, wear bright colors while I am in Europe. The main reason I do is so my husband can spot me easily if we get separated. This happened in Lisbon, Portugal while he and a friend left to ask a question. The friend's wife and I waited and waited. We finally saw them coming, and my husband told me that he saw my "hot pink" crocs and knew it was me.:D

I noticed quite a few Europeans sneaking looks at my "hot pink crocs". I thought it was funny!

browneyes7:o

Personally, I'd be a lot more concerned with my feet feeling good during, and after, a lot of walking. Better to feel nice and enjoy yourself then worry about looking like a tourist. As another poster said you'll look like a tourist anyways. Besides, unless you're looking to go to some truly out of the way places you'll probably be in the middle of large crowds that are 98% tourists anyways. Heck if you're going to places like Florence, Rome or Venice you'll blend in if you look like a tourist!

If you're concerned about theft or something like that you'll do much better being conscientious of your belongings and surroundings than wearing uncomfortable shoes.

SAS shoes are wonderful. My husband and I have been wearing them for years and our foot problems have been alleviated. They make everything from runners to walking shoes and in hard to find sizes as well Anyone we have recommended them to have been thrilled with the results. Can't say enough about them. Please, please give them a try!!!

There's one major drawback to letting the whole world know by your clothing that you're a tourist: pickpockets and other thieves assume that if you're a tourist, you're much more likely to (1) carry significant amounts of money and camera equipment; and (2) be lost or dazed and not paying attention to people who "accidentally" bump into you.

I go out of my way to avoid looking like a tourist wherever I go, and frequently natives come up to me and ask for directions, so I guess it works! My camera bag is a generic black canvas thing from LL Bean that does not scream "there's an expensive camera in here!" and I never wear sneakers EVER. (I've logged hundreds of miles wearing Rieker's, which are as good to your feet as sneakers, but dressy enough for the opera.) Another no-no is wearing anything with stripes--you might as well drape yourself in the American flag. These precautions are not because I am ashamed of my nationality, of course; it's primarily a safety issue, and a general desire to avoid standing out.

In my experience, the best shoes on the planet are Rieker's. They are a German brand and their complete line is sold in the US by Zappo's (www.zappos.com). Their shock-absorption is unbelievable, and they are built to LAST. I have a bad back, and I am very hard on my shoes, yet I can wear these babies for years before they wear out! And the styles are really cool--your daughter might really like some of the ones that are a tad too young for me--and many of them are actually quite dressy. I wear them to work every day with skirts; by now I probably have nearly a dozen different pairs of them. They certainly don't look like your stereotypic walking shoes!

Here is a vote for Crocs. I wear the Prima and Alice styles because they don't look like Crocs! www.crocs.com But I also wear the Athens flip flop too but just in black that way it will go with just about everything.

BTW I photograph weddings in the Prima and after being on my feet for around 6 solid hours or more (with maybe a 1-5 minute break sitting) my feet still feel fine and don't hurt.

I bought a pair of Eccos for my upcoming cruise to Europe and started to break them in. There was No break in period and they are like walking on air. I wanted a pair of shoes comfortable enough to walk all day and still stylish "emough" to go into the dining room at night. I also purchase a pair of Naturalizers that also very comfortable. i have now decided not to take my sneakers with me since these two pari of shoes are more comfortable and offer the support.

Archived