Question about Qantas check-in on-line

Coastaljen

This is what usually happens. When you go on board, you will be given a hot meal. If you aren't hungry and just want to go to sleep, tell the Flight Attendants and they will not disturb you.

During the night you can usually have a snack if you want it, otherwise you just sleep and around 6am-7am (Australian Daylight Savings Time) you will be given breakfast and then land in Sydney at 9am.

We have done it twice from L.A. Once in First Class and were given a magnificent meal at 11pm or later and then once in Business and again we had a good meal. I cannot tell you what the meal will be like in Economy though we flew back from Hawaii in June with them and we were at the back of the plane, and the lunch we were served then was fine.

Jennie

Ok--thanks--well for us the time will be 12:30 at night--but I suppose I will be too wound up to sleep right off...so will go with the meal..boy you make it sound like a nice fast flight--eat sleep snack & then arrive having breakfast first..yeah sure would like to be traveling at least Business but when they told me $12,000US--I didn't bother to ask if it was each or together--either way its another cruise. Think I will for sure ask my Dr for a pill for each trip--then I might sleep a few hours longer.

if we are leaving at 10:30 PM LA time..do they feed us before we sleep? Do they then decide when to wake most up to feed you? Can't imagine them going for like 10 hours before serving..I dont' remember if it is a 12½ hr flight or 14½....either way still not sure in all that darkness when they do any snacks or meals--perhaps a snack after we leave & then bed down?
Unless something has changed fairly recently, the service pattern on long-haul flights is: hot meal, distributed snack packs for overnight, light meal before arrival. The exact content of each meal depends on time of day and length of flight, and as often as not I sleep through most of the meals, so I can't really be much more specific. But I think that quite a lot of the second meals are also hot as well.

In any event, if you're hungry in the middle of the night and you want something other than what's in the snack pack, you can always ask the cabin crew for more food - they'll do their best to rustle up something for you.

One important thing though: do not take any aircraft food off with you unless you're prepared to go through the whole quarantine rigmarole. It's subject to the same quarantine rules as any other food. The cabin crew will make an arrival announcement saying that all aircraft food must be left on board, but these days nobody ever listens to cabin crew announcements as every first time passenger thinks that they know better than the crew.

Unless something has changed fairly recently, the service pattern on long-haul flights is: hot meal, distributed snack packs for overnight, light meal before arrival. The exact content of each meal depends on time of day and length of flight, and as often as not I sleep through most of the meals, so I can't really be much more specific. But I think that quite a lot of the second meals are also hot as well.

In any event, if you're hungry in the middle of the night and you want something other than what's in the snack pack, you can always ask the cabin crew for more food - they'll do their best to rustle up something for you.

One important thing though: do not take any aircraft food off with you unless you're prepared to go through the whole quarantine rigmarole. It's subject to the same quarantine rules as any other food. The cabin crew will make an arrival announcement saying that all aircraft food must be left on board, but these days nobody ever listens to cabin crew announcements as every first time passenger thinks that they know better than the crew.

Thanks I don't think I need to worry about extra food in the middle of the night tho...now if we bring a snack in a bag from home (USA doesn't feed you--it vosts extra)..then whether it is opneed or not--we should leave THAT as garbage on the flight & not bring into Sydney? (it would be like chips or candy--along those lines) ?

now if we bring a snack in a bag from home (USA doesn't feed you--it vosts extra)..then whether it is opneed or not--we should leave THAT as garbage on the flight & not bring into Sydney? (it would be like chips or candy--along those lines) ?
The simplest thing is to leave it on the aircraft, because the cleaners can take it off and it will be destroyed in controlled conditions.

But if you really want to it with you, then food like in unopened packets is likely to be allowed in. However, you must declare all food so that Customs can make the decision about whether or not it's allowed. Customs are very happy if you ask: but they'll be very unhappy if you try and sneak it past without declaring it, even if the food is something that is allowed in.

Globaliser,

I thought you might be able to answer this question.... Several months back I saw a thread discussing this topic, but now I am unable to find it.

As I recall, it was stated that anyone entering Australia must have a list all medications (perscription and OTC) and the # of pills in each bottle. Is this true, or am I just dreaming?

Thanks, Janelle

I remember a post suggesting this, but I am sure that it is not true - and also that that was the consensus of the Australians on the board as well as the frequent visitors to Australia.

FWIW, I never do this - and I always have both prescription and OTC drugs with me when I travel. And there is nothing in the Customs form asking for this.

Janelle,

You do not need to make a list of prescription drugs you are bringing into Australia. We always take medication drugs with us each time we travel. Besides normal medication, we also take medication for diarrahea, for nausea and anything else we can think of (my husband is a Pharmacist) and we have never declared them either on our leaving Australia or returning. We do have them in zippered clear plastic bags though so that if they wanted to check them they are easy to see.

The other point about leaving food on board and declaring food in unopened packets is that you will be delayed on arrival as Customs will check what you have. If you are in a hurry to leave the airport and get on with your time in Sydney or Melbourne, then leave it all on the plane.

Jennie

Thanks for the relief...;) we are flying NWA (Northwest) out of MN..so am planning on asking how to get to terminal 4--as long as we don't have to go down for luggage--we shouldn't have any problems--they should have a shuttle or train or whatever they use to go between terminals. We'll find our way. Now I am just wanting to be on our way..:eek: Ah well have to get the Holidays over & then start thinking of the clothes for sure to take..YUK

Northwest flies into Terminal 2. To get from Terminal 2 to Terminal 4, you can walk outside and catch a shuttle (A route) or you can walk through the parking structure. Here's a link to the map http://www.lawa.org/lax/terminalMap.cfm

Northwest flies into Terminal 2. To get from Terminal 2 to Terminal 4, you can walk outside and catch a shuttle (A route) or you can walk through the parking structure. Here's a link to the map http://www.lawa.org/lax/terminalMap.cfm

Thanks for the map--might just attempt to walk thru the lots to #4--waiting might take more time..depends on the time etc. I printed off the map--doesn't look too hard as long as we are allowed to walk across the streets--which anyone in the parking would have to so there should be no problems..

That makes it a little less clear. I'm not sure why Celebrity has done this. Do you have ticket numbers yet? (You're looking for a 13-digit number, probably starting either with 001 or with 081.) How many ticket numbers do you have?

But you should still be able to get the bags through-tagged to Sydney simply by showing both your confirmations when you check-in at Toronto. AA should be able to through-tag with no problems. You may find that when that's been done, the AA agent will be able to check you in for the Qantas flight as well and issue you with a boarding pass. But at worst, all you'll need to do is to go to a transfer or service desk at LA when you arrive just to pick up your boarding passes.

I just came Christmas holidays. I inquired about my upcoming trip at the AA counters on my upcoming trip on Jan 4th, and you're correct, they can tag the back all the way to Auckland (not Sydney in your post). I may have said I was going to Syd. but in any case, it's actually Auckland. The AA counter confirmed that they will not be able to issue me boarding passes on the Qantas segment (from LAX to AUCKLAND) after I gave them my record locator. They also confirmed that we will need to get our boarding passese from Qantas directly in LAX.

I looked at the LAX map and it seems that we're flying into Terminal 4 and Qantas (Auckland bound) is at the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT).

Do you know how far are these two terminals from each other and how to get there the fastest?

And after that, I assume I need to go through security again?

Does Qantas wait for passengers since there's only 1 flight scheduled per day?.

Getting worried since my time in LAX is only 1 hour 5 mins before Qantas takes off. No time to waste..

T4 and TBIT are right next door to each other. If you really dawdle, you could stretch out the walk from the front door of one to the front door of the other to, oh, maybe 5 minutes. :)

But you actually have 90 minutes between flights at LAX (AA557 arrives at LAX at 1900 and QF26 departs LAX at 2030). If you have no inbound delay, you should be very comfortable with this time.

I don't know about transfer arrangements at LAX, particularly whether you can go from T4 to the departures side of TBIT without exiting the secure area. Qantas does have a presence in T4, as you know - so you could theoretically get yourself checked-in at a Qantas desk somewhere in the secure area of T4 and then try to find a way of getting to the TBIT without exiting into the public areas. But only those who know LAX well will know whether or not this is possible. Once you go into the main public areas, you will have to re-clear security to get back to departure gates.

I very much doubt that Qantas will delay the outbound flight for long if there is a serious problem with your inbound. If there are many connecting passengers from your flight, it is more likely that they will. But you don't really have any way of knowing this. If there are only one or two passengers who are going to misconnect, it may be easier for QF to re-route you - for example, there are flights to Sydney at 2230, 2345 and 2355, and any of them would connect to an Auckland flight that will get you there by mid-afternoon of the day you should have arrived, with three more Auckland flights later the same day. Similarly, there is a flight to Melbourne at 2315 and one to Brisbane at 2355 - each of those has a good connection to Auckland to arrive the same afternoon and a later backup. So there really isn't anything to worry about.

I just came Christmas holidays. I inquired about my upcoming trip at the AA counters on my upcoming trip on Jan 4th, and you're correct, they can tag the back all the way to Auckland (not Sydney in your post). I may have said I was going to Syd. but in any case, it's actually Auckland. The AA counter confirmed that they will not be able to issue me boarding passes on the Qantas segment (from LAX to AUCKLAND) after I gave them my record locator. They also confirmed that we will need to get our boarding passese from Qantas directly in LAX.

I looked at the LAX map and it seems that we're flying into Terminal 4 and Qantas (Auckland bound) is at the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT).

Do you know how far are these two terminals from each other and how to get there the fastest?

And after that, I assume I need to go through security again?

Does Qantas wait for passengers since there's only 1 flight scheduled per day?.

Getting worried since my time in LAX is only 1 hour 5 mins before Qantas takes off. No time to waste..

Hi

As Globaliser mentioned I dont think there is a way to go airside from T4 to Bradley at LAX. You are the only 2 pax coming off AA557 to connect to QF026. So if AA557 is delayed so that is really cuts in to your time at LAX then QF026 wont wait. (I work for QF in Sydney so this is how I can see this :) )

However as Globaliser says there are several other flights out of LAX to Oz and they have seats available so dont worry if you are delayed on AA.

Hope you have a good flight - QF026 is full by the way.

Hi

As Globaliser mentioned I dont think there is a way to go airside from T4 to Bradley at LAX. You are the only 2 pax coming off AA557 to connect to QF026. So if AA557 is delayed so that is really cuts in to your time at LAX then QF026 wont wait. (I work for QF in Sydney so this is how I can see this :) )

However as Globaliser says there are several other flights out of LAX to Oz and they have seats available so dont worry if you are delayed on AA.

Hope you have a good flight - QF026 is full by the way.

First thanks to Globaliser and Kenexx for your replies. You're right about the 90 minutes. I checked my itinerary again, and it's 1 hour 5 mins for transit time in Chicago (Toronto - Chicago - LAX) and not in LAX.

Kenexx: Just out of curiousity, did you say you only saw 2 pax coming on flight AA557 from Chicago for the Qantas QF26 to Auckland on the 4th January on the system? Originally, Qantas told me that there are 44 pax, but coming from all over Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver I think. Globaliser mentioned that I could theoretically get my boarding pass at the Qantas (Sydney bound) (in Terminal 4). Do you think that's a possibility to get the boarding pass for Auckland there? Would save some time, if we're delayed.

Globaliser: Thanks for the valuable information :D Hope we'll get there smoothly.

First thanks to Globaliser and Kenexx for your replies. You're right about the 90 minutes. I checked my itinerary again, and it's 1 hour 5 mins for transit time in Chicago (Toronto - Chicago - LAX) and not in LAX.

Kenexx: Just out of curiousity, did you say you only saw 2 pax coming on flight AA557 from Chicago for the Qantas QF26 to Auckland on the 4th January on the system? Originally, Qantas told me that there are 44 pax, but coming from all over Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver I think. Globaliser mentioned that I could theoretically get my boarding pass at the Qantas (Sydney bound) (in Terminal 4). Do you think that's a possibility to get the boarding pass for Auckland there? Would save some time, if we're delayed.

Globaliser: Thanks for the valuable information :D Hope we'll get there smoothly.

I'm pretty sure you will only get your boarding pass for QF026 at the Bradley terminal. Thats where I would head as soon as you land at T4.

There are heaps of other pax coming from all over for QF026 but you guys are the only 2 on AA557 that were showing in our system last night. I'm about th go to work now (again!!) I'll check it out again.

Maurice

I'm pretty sure you will only get your boarding pass for QF026 at the Bradley terminal. Thats where I would head as soon as you land at T4.

There are heaps of other pax coming from all over for QF026 but you guys are the only 2 on AA557 that were showing in our system last night. I'm about th go to work now (again!!) I'll check it out again.

Maurice

THANK YOU again for the info. May I ask one more favor. Are there any passengers that have shorter connecting time than us in LAX on Jan 4th?

Maurice

Can I ask you a big favor. Would it be possible to check if there're any passengers with shorter connection time than ours (90 mins) in LAX on Jan 4th? Thanks

Archived