Walking to Port Everglades

I don't think they will let you in - anyway - depending on where your ship is in the port it could be a longer walk to the ship from the gate than from the hotel to the gate. It is only a $10 cab ride depending on the ship location.

Ron

Unless you REALLY want a divorce I would not suggest it. While it might only be a few blocks from the hotel to the gate at the port, as has already been stated, they will likely NOT let you in and it WILL be a long walk from the gate to the ship.

Mike

Well, actually we've had lots of turnaround days in FLL and we walk to the docks for the water taxis for the day (under the 17th street causway)....it's not too bad if you know where you're going. I would be concerned however if I had alot of luggage to haul!!

We tried to walk from pier 18 to the mid port parking garage. It was a haul. 1/2 way into it we flagged down a cab. There are lots of cargo and obsticles to get around plus draging luggage. Oh yeah and in the South Florida Heat...

Get a cab or shuttle.

The last time I enquired, there was no way to walk to the pier, it was not allowed.

As said, the short walk to the security check in is the least part, the long walk begins when you get through security to the pier itself.

Grab a taxi and go right through, it is very inexpensive and they are readily available at every hotel on departure days.

The last time I enquired, there was no way to walk to the pier, it was not allowed.

As said, the short walk to the security check in is the least part, the long walk begins when you get through security to the pier itself.

That's very odd. Our last 2 Princess cruises out of FLL (March and December of 2006) I've dropped our rental car at the Budget office across the street from the 17th St. entrance to Port Everglades and walked to the ship. In fact, whenever we've gone into the port we've seen lots of people walking in, as well -- most of them ship staff and crew. The guards just stop you and check your ID. I even had my boarding pass ready both times, but they never asked.

I've been lucky both times that the ship was at the 17th St. end of the port, so the walk was fine (no more than 10 minutes max.) But, if the ship is docked further in, it could be a bit of a hike.

I have always wondered about this, because I love to walk and would happily walk (including with luggage) from any of the 17th St hotels.

It seems logical that people can walk into to the pier complex with ID and boarding docs -- that's what we do in other port cities. We may try this in FLL next time--I guess a worst case scenario is to flag down a cab just outside the gate and be taken back in.

This is interesting as we were told several times that walking in through security was not allowed for safety reasons. Maybe we were given incorrect info.

I must add thought that all the times we have sailed out of Port Everglades, we have never once seen anyone rolling luggage and walking to the ship either. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

This is interesting as we were told several times that walking in through security was not allowed for safety reasons. Maybe we were given incorrect info.

I must add thought that all the times we have sailed out of Port Everglades, we have never once seen anyone rolling luggage and walking to the ship either. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm

You know, you may have just hit on the key. Now that you mjention it, I've never seen anyone rolling luggage walking through security, either. When I've done it I've dropped the hubby and luggage at the ship then returned the rental car and walked back sans baggage. And, now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing any of the other people I was walking with bringing luggage, either. As I mentioned, they mostly seemed to be ship's staff. At most, they may have had a bag of goodies from the corner quik-e-mart.

Maybe it's the luggage that would be the issue. On the one hand, I can see that as I'm sure they don't want to have to check bags at the check point. On the other hand, though, they let all those cars through with bags.

Curiouser and curiouser.

The front of the hotel entrance is farther down 17th Street, so we all left from the exit door near the pool. Soon we were at the intersection where there is a Walgreen's across the street on the other side of the intersection. All 10 of us walked--6 adults and 4 kids under 6. We had 3 strollers and each adult had a rolling suitcase. Anyways, it was a 10-15 minute walk because we had kids. Without kids, it would be a faster walk.

They did check our documents at the gate. Also, there wasn't really a pedestrian walkway for people to walk up to the terminal. We had to walk around the drive that led up to the parking structure. Cars were driving into the parking structure, so we had to wait a bit to cross that driveway. It was a bit tricky manuvering the strollers and the rolling suitcases en route to the terminal as there were many steps up and steps down between the street and the curbside.

BTW, we were not the only ones walking to the terminal that day. There was a steady stream of people walking to and from the ship, especially to the Walgreen location from the ship.

It wouldn't have taken us less time by taxi if we had taken it (rather than walking it) because 1) we would have to get 3 taxi's and then pile the kids and the suitcases into the taxis. 2) Although we can see the terminal's parking structure across the street from the hotel, the taxi couldn't make a u-turn near the hotel entrance. They would have to drive down 17th street in the opposite direction until the next intersection and then double back. 3) We probably saved a good $50 (3 taxi fares and tips) by walking.

We will probably do it again if we were staying at the Renaissance. One word of caution--the day we walked to port was around 72F. I wouldn't recommend it if the temperature is above 80F on your day of embarkation because you would be too sweaty to look good on those embarkation photos.

I live in South Florida and I'm pretty athletic. If you are cruising from May through October, your gonna walk a couple miles in 90 degree heat. You are also gonna lug your luggage with you!! I'd take a cab and get there within minutes from your hotel. If not by the time you get to check in you will be ringing your shirt out from sweat. Be smart spend the 10 bucks to ride.

The front of the hotel entrance is farther down 17th Street, so we all left from the exit door near the pool. Soon we were at the intersection where there is a Walgreen's across the street on the other side of the intersection. All 10 of us walked--6 adults and 4 kids under 6. We had 3 strollers and each adult had a rolling suitcase. Anyways, it was a 10-15 minute walk because we had kids. Without kids, it would be a faster walk.

They did check our documents at the gate. Also, there wasn't really a pedestrian walkway for people to walk up to the terminal. We had to walk around the drive that led up to the parking structure. Cars were driving into the parking structure, so we had to wait a bit to cross that driveway. It was a bit tricky manuvering the strollers and the rolling suitcases en route to the terminal as there were many steps up and steps down between the street and the curbside.

BTW, we were not the only ones walking to the terminal that day. There was a steady stream of people walking to and from the ship, especially to the Walgreen location from the ship.

It wouldn't have taken us less time by taxi if we had taken it (rather than walking it) because 1) we would have to get 3 taxi's and then pile the kids and the suitcases into the taxis. 2) Although we can see the terminal's parking structure across the street from the hotel, the taxi couldn't make a u-turn near the hotel entrance. They would have to drive down 17th street in the opposite direction until the next intersection and then double back. 3) We probably saved a good $50 (3 taxi fares and tips) by walking.

We will probably do it again if we were staying at the Renaissance. One word of caution--the day we walked to port was around 72F. I wouldn't recommend it if the temperature is above 80F on your day of embarkation because you would be too sweaty to look good on those embarkation photos.

Merela,

I have done the exact same thing. Early in the morning we walked up onto the causeway bridge to see the ship and checked with the guard at the port afterward. He said we could do a walk in. We were lucky enough to be sailing out of the first dock through the gate.

Hey neighbor! *Waves* :D

I'm just curious where people are hearing this because, as I said, I've done it. Is it possibly a change since last December? :cool:

Hey neighbor, GO SOX!

Not that this is a reputable source, but I have asked the front desk at hotels. I believed them as they work in the area, they probably just wanted me to pay to use thier shuttle! :D

Hey neighbor, GO SOX!

Not that this is a reputable source, but I have asked the front desk at hotels. I believed them as they work in the area, they probably just wanted me to pay to use thier shuttle! :D

We HAVE a winnah!!!!

I think you just solved our little mystery here. ;)

GO SOX!!! :D

Archived