Seadream Compared To Seabourn

Keith1010

We sailed the SeaDream when it was SeaGoddess....and it was wonderful. We now do the Seabourn. The difference is casual for SD as opposed to dressy, ie, Formal two nights..dressy two nights, and elegant casual three nights for SB. SD askes for elegant casual..but unfortunately..some interpret that in a slovenly manner which is an affront to an elegant staff.

The SD has the most wonderful and caring staff and the food is wonderful. It is a smaller ship..but that is nice. SB is a bit larger and the staff and food are very good as well. The itineries at SB are more varied.

enjoy which ever you choose

Interested to see this thread as we too sailed Seadream 1 when it was SEA GODDESS 1 and when all passengers dressed for dinner much the same as SEABOURN still does. We enjoy dressing up a bit for dinner and our 3 trips on SEABOURN were very pleasant indeed. We have decided to try SEADREAM 1 , November 28th - December 5th, and are looking forward with much anticipation to that cruise. The one thing we were concerned about was the dress issue, we go along with " elegant casual " but will be disappointed if the emphasis is on CASUAL and not ELEGANT casual. We will still enjoy our cruise and the comparison to SEABOURN.

Just returning from SeaDream II in the mediterranean, I would like to comment on the dress code. Both my husband and I like to dress up on occasion. During our cruise, he wore a sport coat on four nights. (the nights we dined inside) On one evening he also sported a dressy tie. No one required him to do this, he just wanted to. The Maitre'd and staff were always in semi formal attire and looked very professional. I never saw another passenger in coat and tie but that is irrevelant. My husband chose to dress this way and more importantly, felt comfortable doing so. The way others dressed for dinner had no impact on our dining experience.

Dress as you wish. That is the simplicity of yachting.

For the record, no one ever looked too casual or untidy.

Lisa

PS. We're going on Silversea next month so I can give you a comparison with that cruise line soon.

Jimmythe one ... we will be joining you on your sailing on SD1:D This is out first time on SD and we are so excited.

DH and I both enjoy dressing for dinner as well. He is taking his trusty blue blazer and I am taking some casual but elegant outfits ... and of course my trusty black dress will be making the trip:p

Hi DisneyJen,

It appears there will be at least a couple of males in Blazers and maybe even a tie one night at least, in the dining room . The ladies too will sparkle I am sure. Dining on deck one evening sounds like fun if not downright romantic and would be a night for more informal attire. Dining under the stars sounds like a movie script line and I am sure that is what Seadream had in mind. Agnes and I saw your earlier post on the Seadream site and surmised we were probably on the same voyage. Being a small cruiseline,don't know if yachtline is quite right, there is not too much activity on the SEADREAM board.

We take a red eye AA flight from SFO to JFK and then another AA flight to St. Thomas arriving at 1:00 Sunday afternoon. Might be a little early for boarding but as long as we can turn over our luggage, we can give the duty free shopping a go before returning to the ship.

Look forward to meeting you on board.

Jim

Has anyone cruised both of these lines and, if so, could you compare the two for me. Any preference between these two lines?

Keith

Have sailed Seabourn Goddess 2 in 2001, SeaDream 2 in 2002 and Seabourn Legend in 2003.

To me it boils down to two main questions:

1. If you prefer max 100 pax and more personalized service instead of max 200 pax, SeaDream wins.

2. If you prefer a larger cabin and more activities, Seabourn wins.

Attire was only marginally less formal on our sailings with the small ship.

Hello over there -- My husband and I, living in Sweden, will also be aboard the SD on Nov 28. We have sailed on Seabourn Pride and the Silver Whisper and are now excited about the SD. We enjoyed the SB and SW VERY much but are also looking forward to the yachting style, the casual style. Dress code is not a major thing with us.

Have already been in contact with DisneyJen and are looking forward to meeting you all.

Looks like we'll we waving to several folks on this board in passing! We'll be sailing on SDI on Dec 4th. Never done a cruise like this, so we are bringing several options to see what we feel most comfortable in. Hubby has blazier and khakis. I have some nicer 'sundresses,' plus some dressier separates. We are so excited also!

So, it seems that Seadream ships are smaller with around 50 cabins vs 100 cabins on Seabourn, and that they carry about half the passengers. The cabins will be somewhat smaller as well.

What about the overall appearance of the Seadream ships? What are they like?

Based on the comments assume the food is great on both lines but might be even somehwhat better on Seadream.

What about the overall service on both lines? Is is about the same?

Much thanks,

Keith

So, it seems that Seadream ships are smaller with around 50 cabins vs 100 cabins on Seabourn, and that they carry about half the passengers. The cabins will be somewhat smaller as well.

What about the overall appearance of the Seadream ships? What are they like?

Based on the comments assume the food is great on both lines but might be even somehwhat better on Seadream.

What about the overall service on both lines? Is is about the same?

Much thanks,

Keith

Both SD and SB were in more and less mint condition. To us, SD felt more like a ship, providing a more maritime experience, whereas SB more tended to provide a luxury hotel feeling.

Food was great on both.

The service was tops on both, but with only half the passenger number on SD they provided the most personal service. The small size not only better allows the staff to get to know you, but also the other way around, and this interaction - to us at least - provided a supreme service level.

We prefer the SD because of the above mentioned factors, but that's individual. A clinching factor for others could be that where SD's cabin size is adequate, SB's cabins are large.

Archived