Drinking water

In2why

Is the water on ship all bottled water? I have to drink more water than the average person due to a lackluster kidney. I am going to check a case in my luggage, but I am wondering if that is enough based on questions with the water on board. I figure if I need more I can get a waver to the "reasonable" figure on Carnival's website.

I agree. The water on the ship is better than most bottled waters (if you are paying any attention to the bottled water wars these days) And tastes fine... if you want bottled water for a fee, they have plenty. You can bring your own (reasonable amount) and then supplement with their water that is free.. or buy bottles.

I agree. The water on the ship is better than most bottled waters (if you are paying any attention to the bottled water wars these days) And tastes fine... if you want bottled water for a fee, they have plenty. You can bring your own (reasonable amount) and then supplement with their water that is free.. or buy bottles.

LOL....I don't have to have bottled water....just water. But since I only just found out that the swimming pools were salt water, I figured I better ask if they had a drinkable supply other than bottled so I could budget for it.

I was wondering....Do they fill up while in port, or do they just de-salinate sea water???

I could think of arguments for either, but....I don't know... does anybody here know?

The ships do both. Most ships take on potable water at their home port. The ships are also constructed with a large desalination capacity. fresh potable water has never been in short supply on any cruise I have sailed. The water from the cabin tap tastes fine. :)

I was wondering....Do they fill up while in port, or do they just de-salinate sea water???

I could think of arguments for either, but....I don't know... does anybody here know?

Cruise ships have desalinization systems on board. I would say that the main argument against filling up in port would be that the size of the tanks would have to be huge....and water usage would have to be regulated. With today's technology desalization is more practical.

Now, that said....I personally thought that the tap water on board still was a good bit higher in sodium than I was used to. I have problems with high blood pressure and my ankles swelled up like I was pregnant a couple of days on board.

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Carnival Valor~December 2005

I find the water on the ships very drinkable. We always drink plenty with dinner, and use the water in the buffet areas alot while at the pool. We have never had a problem drinking it. It tastes just fine to us. I wouldn't pay what they want for bottled water. Just saw a news show on bottled water and what a rip-off it is. They said you could refill a bottle over 1000 times for what you pay for one bottle! And we are all complaining about the price of gas???

Now, that said....I personally thought that the tap water on board still was a good bit higher in sodium than I was used to. I have problems with high blood pressure and my ankles swelled up like I was pregnant a couple of days on board

I have to agree with Carol. A lot of people don't have a problem with the water, but I don't care for the taste (too much sodium) and my ankles swell also. If you have health issues, it might be a good idea to take a bit more than you had planned.

I'm a big water drinker also (zero sugar content) and I drink the stuff form the spigots on the Lido Deck and from the tap in my cabin bathroom, even use it to refill bottles I take into port with me.

I find the water on the ships very drinkable. We always drink plenty with dinner, and use the water in the buffet areas alot while at the pool. We have never had a problem drinking it. It tastes just fine to us. I wouldn't pay what they want for bottled water. Just saw a news show on bottled water and what a rip-off it is. They said you could refill a bottle over 1000 times for what you pay for one bottle! And we are all complaining about the price of gas???

lol....but the price of a new kidney is worse. :D Seriously I am not a water snob but having had a more than a few large stones do serious damage to my left kidney, and recurrent infections I am lucky to even still have it. Most people drink some water....I drink at least 10-12 glasses a day. If the water isn't drinkable I have to make other arrangements or suffer the consequences. I do agree though that it bites my arse when I have to pay for something that should be free.

I love the idea of bringing a jug and refilling it. That way I only need to bring enough bottled for ports.

I drink a lot of water also . . . always from the tap. As stated, water is desalinized while enroute for all human use. When you see water tankers taking on water at the port (other than USA) they are taking on the water (non-potable) used to wash down decks and rigging.

Desalinized water can't get any purer, although I will acknowledge it may be saltier (I have never noticed it, however). :confused:

I have also been following the "rip-off" bottled water wars here in LA. I find it very amusing . . . :D

All cruise ships make fresh water from the sea water (desalinate) by evaporating it. Mostly it is better than the water you drink from your faucet at home.

lol....but the price of a new kidney is worse. :D Seriously I am not a water snob but having had a more than a few large stones do serious damage to my left kidney, and recurrent infections I am lucky to even still have it. Most people drink some water....I drink at least 10-12 glasses a day. If the water isn't drinkable I have to make other arrangements or suffer the consequences. I do agree though that it bites my arse when I have to pay for something that should be free.

I love the idea of bringing a jug and refilling it. That way I only need to bring enough bottled for ports.

I drink about a gallon a day and have found that some bottled waters do give me more swelling than I would like. I have never had a problem with the water on the ship... keep in mind that if you don't consume much sodium, that EVERYTHING on the ship is loaded with sodium... the buffets, the dining room food, the grill, etc. Then take into account the drinks... and being on the sea ;) So most people experience a little more swelling than usual while cruising... I have found that increasing the water intake helps with that. I don't think many people realize that when they buy bottled water, many times they are just buying municipal water... the water on the ship goes through more treatment than many bottled waters :D

The water on the ship has tasted fine to me as well, however, I swelled so badly the first cruise I was on! - And I mean BAD! :eek: My fingers looked like sausages, and my ankles were gone! I just had big square/block looking swollen feet attached to swollen legs! My ring size is 7 1/2 - 8 and when I was trying on rings to purchase in port, I was a size 9 - 9 1/2! It didn't affect my DS or DH at all, and we have never heard anyone complain about the taste of ship water. I just hated the fact that I looked and felt like I was gonna pop at any moment! :o

So, before the second cruise, I met with my doctor, explained the problem I had. He prescribed me the lowest dose water pill available, and told me to take 1/2 of it - only when needed. :cool: It worked great! On the next cruise, after the first day and a half...and drinking the ship's water, juices, etc...I started to swell again, took a pill and the swelling went away!

I am not advising others to do the same, just describing my experience.

I hope this helps!

- Rhonda

I'm a big water drinker also (zero sugar content) and I drink the stuff form the spigots on the Lido Deck and from the tap in my cabin bathroom, even use it to refill bottles I take into port with me.

On our cruise last week on the Holiday this is what the water (murk) looked like that came out of our tap in both of our bathrooms the entire cruise. NO way I would even attempt to drink this...

(click link to photo)

http://inlinethumb13.webshots.com/9292/2951502520102002060S425x425Q85.jpg

It made the towels dirty when we showered and my hair was dirtier when I got out of the shower than when I went in.

Is this normal for water on a ship? Don't remember it being this way on our other cruises.

Thanks for the tip KC... I'm definitely gonna talk to my doctor about that before my next cruise.

Just keep in mind that most water pills will cause VERY FREQUENT trips to the restroom...might not be a good thing on a port day with a scheduled excursion.

On our cruise last week on the Holiday this is what the water (murk) looked like that came out of our tap in both of our bathrooms the entire cruise. NO way I would even attempt to drink this...

(click link to photo)

http://inlinethumb13.webshots.com/9292/2951502520102002060S425x425Q85.jpg

It made the towels dirty when we showered and my hair was dirtier when I got out of the shower than when I went in.

Is this normal for water on a ship? Don't remember it being this way on our other cruises.

Ewwwwww. That's awful!

And good point Chan. Thanks!

Did you speak to anyone on the ship about the discolored water?

No, I'm normally not a complainer. I just "go with the flow" (no pun intended) and besides the ship was fully booked and no where to move us away from the problem anyway. We just used our melting ice in our ice bucket for brushing of teeth and drank Lido deck water. Not much you could do about batheing and washing your hair in it though. :)

That could probably make one sick if you drank it, wouldn't you think?

Wonder what the "brown" is? Never mind, I don't want to know. :)

I have never had a problem with the water onboard. I too have kidney problems...the last was a cluster as big as a golf ball, not fun...so I drink alot as a result. I am not a big bottled water drinker, unless that is all I can get my hands on in a pinch. On our first cruise, I bought a special water bottle made by Brita. It has a long skinny filter cartridge and the top of it goes right into the cap, so that is filters as you drink. Never used it, and it is stored away...somewhere. :)

Archived