Merida City Tour and Shopping with Carnival

pugsbest

3 of us booked this tour off of the Elation on August 17. This was one port I was unsure of and not really looking forward to. We were undecided between going to the all-inclusive resort or taking the city tour. After some discussion decided to see Merida. The tour guides spoke very good english, watched over the group and were very informative. The city was much larger than I had imagined and the architecture was beautiful. The shopping wasn't great since we only went to a couple places that were overpriced and not enough time to check out others in the area. The lunch stop was pretty with good food, but time was too limited to eat and do much shopping. We also stopped at a store in Progresso, but they insisted that you return to the ship and then take a shuttle back to town instead of letting you stay and make your own way back. By the time we got back to the ship, we decided it wasn't worth it to take a shuttle back again.

We spent 3 days in Merida a year ago. This is a large "colonial" mexican city. The archeological museum was great in a beautiful old building. The cathedral is really neat dates back to the conquestadors. It is built around a square like in New Orleans. We also did side trips to Mayan ruins which were great. uxmal and I forget the name of the other site. Shopping around the square is standard stuff you can get anywhere in Mexico. We walked way off the main area but only found local shopping stuff no unusal handicrafts. Even stopped to buy more film in a little shop they wouln't take dollars couldn't figure out what to do with them. First time that ever happened.LOL I would go if you can it is not as touristy as someothere places in Mexico even though there is a WalMart.

Stella

We have a timeshare in Cancun and do our grocery shopping in Walmart. Best Tequila prices in town. And a giant tortilla making machine for entertainment!!

It's our first outing of the trip we all pile on the bus load up at WalMart and then Cab it back with all of our goodies. Fun to shop with the locals. They are always helpful or they are laughing at the gringos not sure which.

Stella:rolleyes:

Have you done any of the Hacienda tours? We did one from Cancun with a stop in Valadalod (sp) great old cathedral. We had a great guide also went to a relatively new ruin site Ek-Balaam. It was really cool we had a great guide lots of history. Maybe we will go back to Merida this Jan my husband wants to fly to Tikal I want to drive down to the biopreseve Shia kan. We try to spread out our trips each year so we have something new to do each year in between lying on the beach and drinking too much Tequilla!!

On my tour to Chichen Itza we had a fantastic buffet lunch at a hacienda near Chichen. Just beautiful. Next trip will spend a couple of nights at two smaller rural towns such as Ticul. Then probably stay at The Gran hotel in Merida. It looks like a movie set.

Archived