2 day itinerary help/review

cmn2d

Next week we'll be in Bermuda for the first time. We only have 2 days so I'm trying to work out a managable to-do list. I'd love input from locals/past visitors to Bermuda for any insights of what I've worked out:

Tuesday, September 4

- Arrive at 10 am, having purchased transportation pass onboard ship

- Take special bus (around 20 minutes) or #7 bus (40 minutes) to Horseshoe Bay, spend a few hours here (we're not big beach people, but who can pass this up in Bermuda?)

- Take bus towards Hamilton to Swizzle Inn for lunch and drinks

- Take bus from Swizzle Inn to Hamilton

- Spend some time shopping on Front Street, see City Hall, bird cage, maybe Fort Hamilton

I'm trying to decide between an evening in St. George or at the Dockyard; is the market night event in St. George better/different from the Dockyard event?

Option A:

- Take bus to St. George - grab dinner somewhere (any recommendations?)

- St. George Market Night from 7-10pm

- Ferry back to Dockyard

Option B:

- Take bus or ferry back to Dockyard dinner on ship (late seating) and then go out for the evening event at Dockyard (until 11pm)

- If we're feeling like fun, maybe a late night at the Frog and Onion (we're a young couple)

Wednesday, September 5

- Ferry (orange route) from Dockyard to St. George

- Take bus towards Hamilton (any bus to Hamilton except #6) to Fantasy cave

- Return to St. George by bus (any except #6)

- Walk around St. George (any lunch suggestions?)

- Ferry back to Dockyard

- Gather glass at cemetary in Dockyard

- Ship leaves at 4 pm

I apologize for this being so terribly long; written out, this looks more complicated than it is! Anything that we must do in Bermuda that I'm missing? Does this look like it can be done without being too hectic? Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Wow, that's a great, well thought out itinerary!

Between option A and option B, option A makes the most sense to me. You can eat at The Whitehorse Tavern, right on the dock at St George (awesome nachos, actually everything was good!)

Horseshoe Bay is beautiful, but if you're not beach people, you may only need an hour or so there.

The Swizzle Inn is awesome (be sure to sign the guest book in the back area, and if you have business cards, bring one to stick to the wall or ceiling). If you walk left down the street when exiting the Swizzle Inn, walk about (less than) 1/4 of a mile, and you will be at Grotto Bay. Walk down their drive way, and go behind the "check in" building, toward the pool area are 2 caverns. They are only open 9am-5pm, but they are a beautiful site, if you have time. We stayed there in Jan 2006, so I don't know if it's "kosher" to just walk onto the grounds as a non-guest, and check out the caverns, but I don't see why not. We were in Bermuda last week on a cruise ship, but still took a walk around Grotto Bay (it was after 5pm, so the caverns were closed).

From the Swizzle Inn/Grotto Bay, you are a short bus ride to St George, so you may want to just go there then, and do Hamilton on day two? It seems to me you would save time by making day 1 "St George/Swizzle Inn" and day 2 "Hamilton", so long as you start day one with Horseshoe Bay (as you have already said).

While you are in St George, take the short walk over to the Unfinished Church. It's just a really beautiful landmark, about a 5 minute walk from the dock.

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I think we will head to St. George after Swizzle Inn/Grotto Bay instead of doing Hamilton and instead do Hamilton on day 2. It can be so hard to put together a sensible touring plan that it's great to get outside eyes - thank you!

About the caverns at Grotto Bay - I couldn't find much about them online. Are they a good substitute for Fantasy or Crystal caves? Or completely apple and oranges? Skipping Fantasty cave would de-stress our touring plan a bit. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I think we will head to St. George after Swizzle Inn/Grotto Bay instead of doing Hamilton and instead do Hamilton on day 2. It can be so hard to put together a sensible touring plan that it's great to get outside eyes - thank you!

About the caverns at Grotto Bay - I couldn't find much about them online. Are they a good substitute for Fantasy or Crystal caves? Or completely apple and oranges? Skipping Fantasty cave would de-stress our touring plan a bit. Thanks in advance for any insight!

I have never been to the Fantasy cave, but from what I can gather (seeing photos) they are similar enough to just go to Grotto Bay (please, if anyone has a different opinion, let me know.) What I figure is, they are created by nature, not man, so each cave just is what it is. one may be a little better than the other, but probably not by much.

I have never been to the Fantasy cave, but from what I can gather (seeing photos) they are similar enough to just go to Grotto Bay (please, if anyone has a different opinion, let me know.) What I figure is, they are created by nature, not man, so each cave just is what it is. one may be a little better than the other, but probably not by much.

I was able to see a couple of pictures of the Grotto Bay caves - Prospero's Cave and Cathedral are their names I *think* - they look lovely so we'll give them a try. Thanks so much for suggesting the caverns there - I hadn't read anything about them before.

Archived