^^^^^No Formalwear for the Sun Princess^^^^^

Crown Prince

Sun Princess September'07 Seattle - Sydney Australia. (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=364161)

August 29th, 2007 08:55 AM

"Well I called Cruise Line Formal Wear again, 1-800-551-5091 and again I was told that they will not be servicing the Sun Princess beginning with the September 23rd, 07 cruise. I told them friends of ours also on the cruise rented a tux for the same cruise back in July & there was no problem. He told me something to the effect of "yes, in July we didn't have this new information & actually we have a long list of people that we have to contact." I also asked him if they would be having the formality shop later when the Sun Princess is in Australia & he said they do not have that information as yet, something like they would like to operate on the ship. So that's what I know or don't know so far." :(

A suggestion on formal wear. I bought a complete tux outfit at JC Penneys for under $200.00. It surpasses the quality of the previous cruise rentals I have made in the past. I have seen guys shut out by not getting to the rental place on board, in time.

A suggestion on formal wear. I bought a complete tux outfit at JC Penneys for under $200.00. It surpasses the quality of the previous cruise rentals I have made in the past. I have seen guys shut out by not getting to the rental place on board, in time.
I think the Men's Warehouse is about the same price too.

maybe they feel that because australia is much more laid back and relaxed about formal wear there may be no need for it on the ship when it comes down under.

most cruisers do not wear tuxs on formal night here. That is not to say we would if travelling on an american ship:D :D

Well, when I found out they weren't offering Formal Hire for the Australian cruises, I was pretty p.....d off.

My husband hired a tux last year, and it was great, no problems at all. We will be in the middle of moving from one side of Australia to the other, and thought the Formal Hire would be just perfect. Need to rethink that one!!!:(

maybe they feel that because australia is much more laid back and relaxed about formal wear there may be no need for it on the ship when it comes down under.

most cruisers do not wear tuxs on formal night here. That is not to say we would if travelling on an American ship.

Most of my Aussie Friends & Family DO like to dress formally (and wear Gowns & Tuxes). The also love the traditions! :D

They are just like the Yanks - after all, we came from the same ancestry.

Because P&O Australia will be operating the Sun, the thinking is that Oz will want to obtain their own Local Vendor. ;)

Crown Prince - we had the same argument when we sailed on board the Regal in Aus/NZ back in '02. For some reason, Princess really doesn't like doing the tux rental thing down there. However, with only one other Princess cruise under his belt, Chris was able to talk Princess into sending one on to him. For Valentine's DAy that year, I bought him his own and haven't dealt with Princess or Formal@Sea again, but you might want to try and push the issue if you really don't want to take one along.

If you'd like I'd be happy to ask him the step he went through along with whom he ended up talking (position, not person) with to make it all happen.

Charlie

Sun Princess September'07 Seattle - Sydney Australia. (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=364161)

August 29th, 2007 08:55 AM

"Well I called Cruise Line Formal Wear again, 1-800-551-5091 and again I was told that they will not be servicing the Sun Princess beginning with the September 23rd, 07 cruise. I told them friends of ours also on the cruise rented a tux for the same cruise back in July & there was no problem. He told me something to the effect of "yes, in July we didn't have this new information & actually we have a long list of people that we have to contact." I also asked him if they would be having the formality shop later when the Sun Princess is in Australia & he said they do not have that information as yet, something like they would like to operate on the ship. So that's what I know or don't know so far." :(

most cruisers do not wear tuxs on formal night here. That is not to say we would if travelling on an american ship:D :D

Most of my Aussie Friends & Family DO like to dress formally (and wear Gowns & Tuxes). The also love the traditions! :D

Because P&O Australia will be operating the Sun, the thinking is that Oz will want to obtain their own Local Vendor. ;)

From your OP, Sun Princess was planning to return in April 08 when they were commiting to hiring suits. Now that the ship is staying in OZ, they will no longer be able to efficiently maintain & adjust these suits. It is a pity that they will not be able to honour their commitment on your cruise. I do not like the idea of lugging a suit bag around the world. We are planning an Alaskan cruise, and I will be looking to rent a tux to save the hassle.

We asked about formal hire through our T|A several weeks ago, and it took a month to get an answer, as they had not made a decision. As kaseyoz stated, there is not enough interest in formal hire rental on these Australian cruises, so there are no plans for an Australian suit hire vendor to take over the service. It is not that people won't hire them, but that not enough people will be hiring them to make it worthwhile.

P&O is operating the Sun Princess from November till April 08. She will return to Princess operation after that, but will cruise from Australian Ports. Several missing Princess services on the P&O sailings are presumed to be returning from April (ie, Elite status being recognised).

Cheers

I've heard that a Safari Suit is a fashionable alternative. :D

Quite an understatement Spongerob!

My T\A contacted Princess Australia to find out about formal hire. After a month or so, it was confirmed that this service would not be offered, so we did the next best thing.

Straight onto eBay, and picked up a stunning light green Safari Suit for the Formal Nights.

2004493956329131597_rs.jpg

I figure these will be so popular, that Princess and P&O in Australia will arrange for an Australian Formal hire company to have these bonza Safari Suits available to hire onboard!

Cheers

Geoff the Safari Suit man!

Whose thinking?

P&O Australia do not have formal hire on any of their fleet.

Cheers

My T\A contacted Princess Australia to find out about formal hire. After a month or so, it was confirmed that this service would not be offered, so we did the next best thing.

Straight onto eBay, and picked up a stunning light green Safari Suit for the Formal Nights.

I figure these will be so popular, that Princess and P&O in Australia will arrange for an Australian Formal hire company to have these bonza Safari Suits available to hire onboard! Cheers, Geoff the Safari Suit man!

I'll bet you really cut a rug in that suit . . .

back in the '70's!!!!!!! :eek:

Really Stunning!!! :p

2004493956329131597_rs.jpg

I figure these will be so popular, that Princess and P&O in Australia will arrange for an Australian Formal hire company to have these bonza Safari Suits available to hire onboard!

Cheers

Geoff the Safari Suit man!

Safari suits are for Africa not OZ:D :D

Love the green though:D

Safari suits are for Africa not OZ:D :D

Love the green though:D

:D

Safari Suits come in 2 styles Julia. The Game Hunter one does belong in South Africa. The Australian Safari suit is a divine piece of polyester, that is a more stylish lounge suit than the John Travolta leisure suit.

What makes the Australian Safari Suit so special, is that you can wear it with a shirt & tie, shirt only, or no shirt. I guess I had better pack the shirt & tie for formal night though, have got to maintain those dress standards. ;)

Cheers

^^^^^No Formalwear for the Sun Princess^^^^^ (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=618400)

kaseyoz......August 30th, 2007.... 12:20 AM

Maybe they feel that because Australia is much more laid back and relaxed about formal wear there may be no need for it on the ship when it comes down under. Most cruisers do not wear tuxs on formal night here. That is not to say we would if travelling on an american ship.

katkell......August 30th, 2007.... 02:46 AM

Well, when I found out they weren't offering Formal Hire for the Australian cruises, I was pretty p.....d off.

My husband hired a tux last year, and it was great, no problems at all. We will be in the middle of moving from one side of Australia to the other, and thought the Formal Hire would be just perfect. Need to rethink that one!!!

Crown Prince......August 30th, 2007... 03:04 AM

That's just NOT True!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaseyoz (Post 11432909)

most cruisers do not wear tuxs on formal night here. That is not to say we would if travelling on an American ship.

Most of my Aussie Friends & Family DO like to dress formally (and wear Gowns & Tuxes). They also love the traditions! :D

Because P&O Australia will be operating the Sun, the thinking is that Oz will want to obtain their own Local Vendor.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=11443817&posted=1#post11443817

I really stirred up a Hornet's Nest over there.

So unlike me. ;)

Did you know that most posts here are being posted back to a roll call with these comments? I was thinking storm in a teacup, more like it!

I hope telling a fellow CCer (kaseyoz) they are wrong and then reposting it on your roll call with the comment "I had to tell him" is also so unlike you. I find that kind of thing rather arrogant.

IMHO, kaseyoz (a she by the way) has made an accurate comment about formal wear on Australian cruise ships.

Archived