Question re: Alaska Cruisetour

SabrinaNP

I am booked on the Princess Diamond's 13 day Heart of Alaska Cruisetour for August 2008. I was reading over the itinerary for the final day of the land tour and noticed that we do not get into Whittier until 6:30 pm. I believe the ship leaves for the cruise at 8:00pm. Isn't that cutting it a little close?:)

We did the Princess cruisetour before our cruise out of Whittier, too, but I can't recall what time the ship sailed. I do remember, however, that the train to Whittier was delayed a bit and we didn't arrive until after 7 pm. We had plenty of time; since we were an entire train of Princess cruisers, the ship would not leave without us!

It was a wonderful trip--one I'd love to do again.

Enjoy!!

As was stated, the cruise won't leave without you if you are on a ship-sponsored cruisetour.

Just a side note - I trust if you are going to Denali that you have two nights at the Denali Princess Lodge and the Tundra Wilderness Tour. If not, you are missing out on a huge portion of the experience at Denali.

The Natural History Tour only goes to mile 17 - just 2 miles further than the free shuttle bus to Savage River. Very slim chance of seeing much wildlife.

John

We took this tour last year - and while we arrived about the time you mention, there was no problem. We only had time to go and find our stateroom and shortly thereafter it was time for the muster drill - but I don't think anyone felt rushed. Enjoy your trip - the Diamond is a beautiful ship!

If you have the shorter Tundra Wildlife tour you can ask your TA to cancel it and credit you for the cost. Then go directly to the Denali Park service Internet site and book the park shuttle. It's the same buses that are used on the tours but much cheaper. You can take a lunch on the bus with you and you can get off at any stop and catch another bus as they come through every 20 minutes or so. We did this on our last stay and it was perfect. We took the one that goes 55 miles in and saw a lot of wildlife. The drivers will stop when they spot wildlife and let you take pictures. There is a free shuttle from the lodge that takes you to the park entrance.

The train in Whittier pulls up along side the ship. they actualy checked us in on the train soa that we just walked the equivalent of a parking lot, got on the ship, found our cabin and either muster and then dinner or vice versa. They will definitely holdthe ship for any problem with the train.

Loved the trip.......this was 2 yearss ago on the Coral and friends of ours did this on the Diamond.

We sailed from Whitter (The Coral) on 8/6. The train from Denali was terrific and it pulled right up to the boat. We were checked in on the train so you merely walk right over to the boat. We had our luggage in our stateroom so we unpacked (quickly) and then we had muster. It was very well organized and a wonderful trip. I really think Princess has it all together in Alaska!

Archived