What should we do while at port??????

Bandit&Mingus

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting and my first time cruising! I'm very excited! I have some questions for you Aruba experts. My husband and I love to snorkel but I get a bit nervous if I have to get into the water from a boat. I prefer shore snorkeling. Is there a good place to snorkel in Aruba either through a ship excursion or on our own that you would recommend? Or should we do something else while at port in Aruba and save snorkeling for other ports? We will be in Bonaire the day prior and will definitely be snorkeling there. The wreck of the Antilla sounds good but a bit scary for me. We will be in St Thomas for a few days after our cruise so shopping isn't absolutely necessary unless there is something that I just HAVE to get while in Aruba. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!:)

There are plenty of snorkel excursions in Aruba, but they would all involve boats and you said already that would be a problem. Perhaps snorkeling from shore would be better? There are some spots north towards the California Lighthouse with some very easy shore access. You can drive to two of the spots where many of the boat excursions go to. The only one you would not be able to get to is the wreck of the Antilla. Imho, unless you are scuba diving the wreck, you are not missing that much anyway. Check out the threads below for a lot of other good info.

Info & Ideas for Snorkeling in Aruba

Touring on our Own + Snorkling

If you were still interesting in a boat excursion check out the info below:

Snorkeling Excursions

JOLLY PIRATES is the BEST their website http://www.jolly-pirates.com/

Jolly Pirates review

Anyone been on the Jolly Pirate recently?

Jolly Pirates to the rescue ....

Tranquilo Sailing Yacht their website http://www.tranquiloaruba.com/

My review of our day aboard Tranquilo including our green moray sighting

Other Snorkel Excursion Websites

Octopus Sailing Cruises

Mi Dushi

Coral Quay

Private Snorkeling Excursions

Roberto's Watersports

Morning Star

You are very welcome. If you decide you do not want to snorkel or even go to the beach. A good option is to either rent a vehicle on your own to explore the island or take an island tour. Island tours range from ATV'S to horseback to 4 x 4 to buses to small mini-buses.

I just recently mentioned to someone else, one of my all time favorite threads for info for those unfamiliar with Aruba is right here at Aruba photos, trip report + tidbits

Anything else, just let me know! :)

Again, thank you very much!!!! Since we haven't cruised before, we're not used to having a restricted amount of time to do things....and naturally, we want to do the best thing that each island has to offer...so much to do, so little time! But this way, we'll get a taste of each island and will know which ones we want to go back to. You are a saint to offer so much info!:D

Hi Bandit,

May I add to Aruba Lisa's always "right-on" comments:

I wanted to add a bit of caution.

In the event that you decide to venture out to the shallow snorkel sites at Boca Catalina, I wanted to add for you might just might see the "Antilla" Wreck in the distance and think it would be a good idea to swim over; not a good idea. Some think it is "swimmable". The problem is that while it may look close, it actually isn't and it is rough and windy most days when you get there. Every so often, the JP will spot someone who opted for the swim over, they are usually too exhausted to snorkel by the time they get to the wreck and hv difficulty swimming back to shore, tired and against the wind. The JP are happy to dingy them back to shore. Just a lil note to think of.

Have a blast!

Jolly Pirate,

Thank you for the warning! I will take your advice. In fact, I'm considering your excursion. Do you allow people to book through you directly if we are on a cruise or do we have to go through the cruise line? Also, do you guys make stops that allow non snorkelers to relax on a beach? My husband and I will be travelling with my sister in law and brother in law and 3 of us snorkel but one doesn't. I'm a bit afraid of strong currents and deep waters but otherwise, I LOVE to snorkel. Sounds like your tour might work for all 4 of us. Thank you for your feedback.

bandit

Allow me to also add to JP's comments that she gives EXCELLENT words of caution. I was a long distance swimmer throughout high school in addition to a life guard. Now in my later years I also scuba dive.

• I would never swim from shore to the Antilla.
  • I would also NEVER, EVER venture outside the reef at Baby Beach.
  • I snorkeled out in the open ocean on a drift snorkel at Mike's Reef, but that was with someone who was very familiar with the area watching over our GROUP from a boat AND we were going WITH the current. I would never have risked the life of my then 10 yo if I thought it would in anyway endanger her.

Hi Lisa,

Thank you !

I always get a bit nervous, (being the nervous nelly that I am) when I read posts about guests snorkeling at Malmok and asking about the wreck. It just looks so inviting... and I can see how someone would think it would be the perfect swim over. For even an advanced swimmer getting there is one thing, enjoying it and returning on your own is another.

Hi Bandit,

(With respect to the board's guidelines,) you cld email me about your reservation questions. Pop on our site and you will find my address.

Great to hear there are so many Aruba fans here!

Thank you JP!

I went on your website and booked your excursion for Nov 1st. Hopefully you're not booked up. Haven't rec'd my confirmation as of yet but I just did it last night. I'm the one who couldn't read your website correctly :o but I think I got it figured out! Looking forward to the trip!!!

Bandit

Bandit, I just want you to know that you are not alone in wanting to walk out to snorkel rather than from a boat.

The last time I was in Aruba, I booked myself on the snorkel trip of the Antilla wreck and it's when I got into the water from the back of the boat I discovered I had to get right back on board. Panic set in. I never did see the wreck of the Antilla but I did spend a lovely time on board in the sunshine while all others snorkelled. So, now the first question I ask when booking a snorkel excursion is can I walk out to it. If the answer is no, then I go on to the next excursion.

Aruba has got to be one of my favourite islands. I'm heading back there at the beginning of December.

ArubaLisa - you reference Morning Star. Have you been out with them?? We have them booked for a 4 hr. trip. So far, it is just my DH and myself. Any insight as to the trip they provide?? It looks wonderful and we are really looking forward to it - just wish we had another couple to split the cost.

ArubaLisa - you reference Morning Star. It looks wonderful and we are really looking forward to it - just wish we had another couple to split the cost.
:D Uh, yeah, cost :eek: has been the big reason why we have never sailed with them. HOWEVER, with that being said, I have a friend who HAS sailed on their dinner cruise with just she and husband. She has pretty good taste and said that the $450 (?) was well worth each and every penny. In everything I have read I have never read a bad word about it.

Tink,

I decided that I would do the Jolly Pirates excursion even though the wreck itself is in deep water because I will probably be ok with the other stops. My sis in law doesn't snorkel so I can hang out with her on the boat if it looks too intimidating for me. Sometimes I'm ok getting in the water from a boat and sometimes I'm not. It really depends on the clarity of the water and believe it or not, if there are a ton of snorkelers, I feel better cuz if they are all in the water and aren't screaming then there are no man eaters near by and I should be safe. Weird, I know but that's kinda how I judge it. So we'll see....I'll let you know! I am looking forward to it. It sure looks like a lot of fun even if it's just on the boat.

Bandit

Archived