ncl tracy arm fjord & glacier explorer excursion

emerylynne

I have read some reviews, sounds right up my alley. trying to convince rest of our group to go. Any good "convincing" points?

Also, when you return to the cruise ship what/how is the transition to get on board? one person is concerned she might have to climb a rope to get on board or something else out of her comfort zone.

thanks for any info.

Erika

I haven't done the excursion but have cruised Tracy Arm twice on NCL. The 1st time was two years ago in May, there was so much ice in the water we only got about half way in before the ship had to turn back. So we never saw Sawyer Glacier or South Glacier. We went again last week and the ship made it all the way in so we could see the two glaciers. However, your view from the ship while being spectacular is distant. If you have the money to spend it's a good choice because they'll go all the way in so you can actually see them closer up.

I've talked to a few people who have done this excursion and all of them highly recommended it.

I haven't done this (never sailed NCL) but certainly there is no reason you have to convince the rest of your group - if I were you, I would do it for sure. Hope they come, but if not, from all I have read about it, it is their loss.

John

We did this last May. Agreed no rope. Just be aware that even the catamaran does not always make it in far enough to see the glaciers. But the views from the catamaran are a whole lot different than the ship.

On our way to the glaciers we had a mini whale watch. 3 or 4 were having fun and it looked like they were performing just for us.:)

I think one of the Princes cruises goes to Tracy Arm, but not sure if they have that same excursion.

We did this in May of this year and it was the highlight of our trip. It is spectacular and you do get a different view by being on the catamaran.

We stopped and watched whales breaching on the way to the glacier. We saw a fair bit of wildlife in the glacier, a bear, mountain goats, an eagle in a nest and lots of seals giving bith on the ice. I think that may vary depending on the conditions and the time of year you go.

We were able to get close to one of the glaciers and saw some calving, but didn't get near the other glacier due to the thick ice.

Getting back on to the ship was easy, the catamaran pulls right along side the ship and they have a plank to walk across there is a very slight incline.(the sides had bars on both sides so there is no chance of falling)

Tracy Arm is FABULOUS via small boat! I have only taken an independent excursion based out of Juneau. That excursion remains a top favorite.

As someone mentioned - Don't worry about convincing the group... just book those interested. That is the beauty of cruising!

However, if you'd still like a carrot to dangle...

128x128%20shrink24.jpg

128x128%20shrink22.jpg

128x128%20shrink28.jpg

Click on any to enlarge... and any will also take you to all my Tracy Arm photos, mainly on pages 2 and 3 of this album.

EDIT- I just noticed you are sailing fairly early in May. Our Tracy Arm tour was the first week of June. Perhaps a local (or someone who knows more than I do!) will chime in about odds of getting close to the glaciers in early/mid-May. For the price, those odds might make a difference to you.

NCL is the only cruiseline with this fantastic add on tour. Run by Allen Marine. For independent touring of Tracy Arm, you need a port time of at least 7am-7pm.

On my last trip in July, we saw several humpbacks, a very close eagle on an iceberg, a close up brown bear on the shore line for an extended viewing- probably , 20 minutes, several sea bird spottings, harbor seals. Far superior to the cruise ship viewing.

There is 2 levels of the jet boat, and no ladders for reboarding the ship, they slide off a ramp and you walk on the ship.

Is NCL the only cruiseline going into the Tracy Arm? Which one do you recommend? Tracy's Arm or College Glaciers?

What ship are you considering? Most sailing Tracy Arm don't get anywhere near College Fjord. And most sailing College Fjord bypass Tracy Arm. Tracy Arm is typically only on round-trip sailings - College Fjord is on one-way sailings.

If you are sailing Carnival, you have the option of the independent Tracy Arm tour. Carnival hours in Juneau are optimal for this tour. However, Carnival only sails the one glacial area of College Fjords, where most other cruiselines sailing one-way sail it plus Hubbard or Glacier Bay.

...it seems that I have different tastes than everybody else...:p

Well, maybe different, but GOOD taste! Perhaps you'll be the lone one in your group to go... but they will have an inkling of what they missed just by sticking with the ship, and you will be the one with no regrets!

And you're not alone on this board. Many of us here think the small boat Tracy Arm experience is worth every penny, whether by ship excursion or independent!

We have never done the small boat excursion, but when we go again if not on NCL we will be sure the hours in Juneau will make an independent tour possible. We went to Tracy Arm last year in mid-May on the Volendam and even though we didn't get very far into the fjord, we loved that day. This year we were on Dawn Princess the last week of July very early in the morning - started at 5AM - and we got all the way in with good views of the glaciers but not much wildlife - no seals on the rocks, no bears, etc. About two hours after leaving Tracy Arm we did see quite a few whales. I must say those posted ice berg pictures are just gorgeous. We saw some but not that big! Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Archived