How long does it take Carnival

tlangell@tsc.com

to announce a change to an itinerary? It has been two weeks since Dean hit Costa Maya, but I haven't heard a peep from Carnival as to where we will be going on our 10/21 sailing on the Legend. I understand that right after it happened they were dealing with current cruises, but everything is back to normal now and still no word.

Are they waiting to announce so people don't have time to cancel and re-book a different cruise (not saying that is what I want to do)? I just don't understand why it takes them so long to make an announcement. Do they think we will believe that we are still going to Costa Maya in October? They must have computer programs that run different scenerios as to where to send their ships if a port is not available.

I am just frustrated. I know people are going to defend Carnival no matter what, but it doesn't make sense that they won't let people know where they are going.

LOL! I feel your pain! We're leaving Saturday on the Glory and STILL don't know exactly where we're going! :D

Latest rumor is:

Cozumel

Belize

Progreso (instead of Costa Maya)

Nassau

I can deal with that! I hope it happens that way! :)

When you called your TA or Carnival what did they tell you?

In the peak of Hurricane season everything is up in the air. On there end it doesnt make much sense to schedule out a plan for a cruise next month when a storm(s) could come through and change those plans as well.

It basically goes with the territory of booking a cruise in Hurricane season. You might end up going to Coz...or you could get another sea day.

We are leaving on the 22nd on the Carnival Fantasy for originally it was Cozumel and Costa Maya. On the website Costa Maya is still on there, but we heard just yesterday(not sure if it was a rumor amongst our group or the actual coordinator called) that we will be going to Progreso instead of Costa Maya.

As another poster mentioned there is alot that goes into changing itinerary's,not only with CCL but the other cruiselines are all trying to find ports and make arrangements also. There are quite a few sailings prior to October 21 that they are scrambling to change.

Sometimes you wont even know of a port change until you are onboard.

That happened to us-- instead of Costa Maya we went to Ocho Rios.

-

If wanting to go to a certain cruise port you take the chance of not getting there for one reason or another- especially in Aug, sept and Oct.

Lets just post this question then to all the cruise lines...because they all are sharing these ports as well as having to constantly check port traffic as an alternative port.

Then like another responder said, everything remains open during this season. I don't think that it is bad at all that we don't know where we are going, I'd be more frustrated if they told me, "you're going to belize" and then I get all jazzed about Belize, and then WHAM, another storm or another occurance won't let me go there.

It DOES take time I'm certain and everything is not all cleaned up.

Lets just post this question then to all the cruise lines...because they all are sharing these ports as well as having to constantly check port traffic as an alternative port.

Then like another responder said, everything remains open during this season. I don't think that it is bad at all that we don't know where we are going, I'd be more frustrated if they told me, "you're going to belize" and then I get all jazzed about Belize, and then WHAM, another storm or another occurance won't let me go there.

It DOES take time I'm certain and everything is not all cleaned up.

I didn't say that everything was cleaned up. I just said that the schedules should be returning to normal so I should be easier for the cruise lines to figure out what the replacement port will be.

I am not complaining that my ports are changing. I realize that can happen ANYTIME of the year. What I don't understand is why it takes so long to let people know where they are going. I have a hard time believing that the cruise lines don't have computer models/contingency plans when a port is unavailable.

But schedules aren't returning to normal and we are still in the HEIGHT of hurricane season... I think after Wilma it took almost 2 months to get a permanent schedule in place... hopefully it won't take so long this time. I would suggest, if you did book solely for ports, you might want to look at another time? You just may not know anytime soon... but, you may know tomorrow... it's hard to say, and going on past history, sometimes it takes a while :( They may just go week to week without putting something perm. in place...

I am not complaining that my ports are changing. I realize that can happen ANYTIME of the year. What I don't understand is why it takes so long to let people know where they are going. I have a hard time believing that the cruise lines don't have computer models/contingency plans when a port is unavailable.

It's not the cruise line... it's the ports also. They can't just pull into any port they want... especially when there are about 8 ships that made stops there... I'm not sure how a computer model would help them in this case.

I have a hard time believing that the cruise lines don't have computer models/contingency plans when a port is unavailable.

No cruise line has a computer model that will tell them about future storm damage.

As was mentioned, Im sure you would be upset if they gave you a revised itinerary then it had to be changed due to another storm. To avoid that, they will probably just wait until a week before your cruise to announce where you will be going.

Thats pretty standard during hurricane season.

LOL! I feel your pain! We're leaving Saturday on the Glory and STILL don't know exactly where we're going! :D

Latest rumor is:

Cozumel

Belize

Progreso (instead of Costa Maya)

Nassau

I can deal with that! I hope it happens that way! :)

I heard today that it will be Key West and Progreso.... hope you have a great time

Archived