local artisans?

In2why

I know the straw market is right near the pier, but are there any handmade items special to the Islands? Either there or elsewhere? I can't see buying cheap made in China or Tawain items to remember my trip.:rolleyes:

Straw Market has some wood carvers and there are some painters out on the wharf. In the welcome center, you can find more handmade items such as jewelry, Plaited baskets carvings, paper products, paintings and prints. The Plait Lady (East Bay and Marina Village) sells hand made baskets and other plaited items. These are not cheap, very well made and beautifully crafted.

In stores such as Madaimoiselles, you'll find Androsian Batik.

I know the straw market is right near the pier, but are there any handmade items special to the Islands? Either there or elsewhere? I can't see buying cheap made in China or Tawain items to remember my trip.:rolleyes:

There are much better options for picking up something unique and locally handcrafted in Nassau. In fact, most returning visitors don't go near the Straw Market, (it's mostly garbage). There is another lesser-known market, the Bahama Craft Centre across from Hurricane Hole Plaza on

Paradise Island, and several galleries and studios selling many beautiful things scattered around. You can find some listed at the tourist link below.

http://www.paradiseislandbahama.com/local_attractions_and_activities/shopping.cfm

Dagny - where exactly is the Bahamas Craft Centre on Paradise Island? Is it within walking distance of Atlantis?

Absolutely, and a short one at that, (a few blocks is all). It is an art-deco style building right across the street from Hurricane Hole Plaza. Anyone can point the way, especially Atlantis staff :)

Archived