Poll Embassy or Hyatt Pier 66

travelscrapper

Hyatt Pier 66 or Embassy Suites in FLL  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Hyatt Pier 66 or Embassy Suites in FLL

Going to Fll on 9/24 1 nt pre night to Caribe Princess Departure 9/25.

We arrive after a full days of work @ 11:30pm so I know we are going to be dog tired & just want someplace to rack out.

1- room booked @ Hyatt Pier 66 $70.00

1-room booked @ Embassy Suites $85.00

Which one is better...I believe the Embassy provides transfers airport/pier but it is worth the cab fare for the Hyatt? I like that the Embassy is across from Publix but will I feel like I really missed something by not staying at the Hyatt?

I'm new to using Priceline but when I go into that web site I can't request a hotel, just an area, and I'm not even sure what area to choose for Ft. Lauderdale to be near Port Everglades. How are all of you getting the specific hotels you want?

Even though you will be "dog tired" you could still head up to the Pier Top lounge at Pier 66 when you arrive to have a nice relaxing night cap and enjoy the views before retiring. I just spent 4 nights at the Pier 66 and often pre-cruise there too. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Also, we noticed many people taking advantage of the pool prior to heading over to their ships. The distance to Publix is walkable from Pier 66. There's also a liquor store across the street from Pier 66, too.

rpini,

go to biddingfortravel.com, it is all explained there. the zone you want is downtown there are 2 3* places, marriott marina and embassy suites. the full list of places and zones is on that website. However there is no guarantee of which hotel you will get, I have never gotten a bad hotel. just bid on the star level knowing which hotels are in that zone.

if you are going to get pool time, the hyatt is your choice. It is beautiful...

The Embassy is closer to the stores but if you can walk, it is probably

a 15 minute walk to the publix from the embassy. the hyatt is right

on the water taxi so you can take is anywhere down the intercoastal.

If you bid on Priceline, Ft. Lauderdale Beach zone, 4*, your winning bid will be Pier 66. The lowest winning bid I have seen is $78 or $79.

The lounge can get quite crowded on Friday night.

Also you can walk along the marine side and see all those mega yachts that moor there, particularly during winter time.

Going to Fll on 9/24 1 nt pre night to Caribe Princess Departure 9/25.

We arrive after a full days of work @ 11:30pm so I know we are going to be dog tired & just want someplace to rack out.

1- room booked @ Hyatt Pier 66 $70.00

1-room booked @ Embassy Suites $85.00

Which one is better...I believe the Embassy provides transfers airport/pier but it is worth the cab fare for the Hyatt? I like that the Embassy is across from Publix but will I feel like I really missed something by not staying at the Hyatt?

I hate to throw a monkey wrench into the works but if you're getting in town that late I wouldn't bother with either one. By the time you collect your stuff and make it to anywhere it's going to be 12:30 even as close as you are to so many different hotels.

That to me is the key element in your story.

Don't get me wrong, they're both great hotels for a pre-cruise stay but if it were me I'd be looking for someplace really close that will pick me up and take me to the port the next day and has a comfortable room to rest my travel-weary family before heading to the port the next day. Your situation is one of the few where I would NOT recommend going to the port really early. In your case sleeping in a while, a leisuely breakfast, maybe a morning swim might be in order

Actually I said that part about taking your time because it made sense to say it, I would still be up at the crack of dawn, tapping my toe and prodding the rest of the gang to get going.

You're probably going to pick between the two choices you have this narrowed down to and either one would be great. But a couple of the big draws of the Embassy Suites, the free happy hour and the fact that a zillion other cruise passengers stay there won't even figure into it, you get in town too late. The deluxe accomodations of the 66 will be missed in much the same manner and their big drawing card, the pampering service, you not only won't have time to experience but you're going on a cruise that will (hopefully) be hard to beat in the pampering area.

I've done this, coming in late the night before, and we used the Wyndham at the airport and were quite happy with both the accomodations, price, location and how nicely it fit into our plans. We didn't come in that late though and if we did I think I'd also explore some of the budget options.

We've been moving in that direction lately as a part of our "watch the expenses and cruise more often" program.

We've had good luck with the Choice Hotels chain which features a family of brands including Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality Inn, Sleep Inn, Clarion and others. We started using them here when we'd spend the night before our flight out of town at the airport which is far away from our home. The prices have been reasonable, the rooms clean but not fancy and I left thinking I paid an appropriate amount for what I needed that pre-cruise hotel for: nothing but a nice, secure place to sleep. I also like that they offer several discounts including an internet users discount.

Just some food for thought, have a fabulous cruise!

I vote for Hyatt 66. We have had a great time staying there and it is a very easy Hotel to get to the cruise terminal from. You can see the ships from the hotel. Their is a small shopping center accross the street that you can walk to and buy any wine, beer, water,etc. that you would like to take on board. The taxi ride was only about 5 minutes and you are at the ship terminal. We also loved walking around and looking at the boats docked all around the hotel. We have paid $80. on priceline both times we booked this hotel.

Swiss

Swiss: I understand the priceline rooms are inthe lower 2 story buildings. Are these around the pool (i.e. if you have a 1st floor unit can you walk right out to the pool?) Thanks (we're booked for 2 nights in Nov.)

It is my recollection that none of the rooms are right on the pool. There is lush landscaping in between. The Priceline rooms are, however, the closest to the pool....a short path will lead you there (we're talking less that 30 yards). Enjoy.

I LOVE Pier 66! Have been going there since the late 60s when my parents would take us to Sunday brunch there. No, whenever we're in Ft. Lauderdale, we stay there for a night or two prior to our cruise.

Taters

Choice hotel chain was our "choice" when we only need a clean room to crash after a long drive on the road on our way to a destination.

Most locations offer a decent continental breakfast.

The one at Hollywood airport area in Ft. Lauderdale is very good. Their breakfast area overflows into the pool area outside, quite nice. The breakfast is of the more generous type as well.

But, I believe if you book thru the conventional channel, you will pay somewhere between 60 and 70 ? I am not sure. You could get a much better accommodation via bidding on Priceline. So we hardly use Choice chain any more. For quick stop on the road, we still use Priceline. Though instead of bidding for 3 or 4 stars, we bid 2 and 2 1/2 stars for that purpose. Stayed in a Comfort near Atlanta for $30 and a La Quinta near Nashville for $25 (all plus Priceline fee and tax) in such occasions.

We started using Priceline Dec of 2002 because we were to go on a 10 day roadtrip in Southern CA with another family. Had to find a way to save bucks. WE were very happy with results from Priceline. Since then, ALL our domestic hotels are Priceline wins. Incredible bargains, particularly in big cities like LA, Chicago, DC, NYC (NJ). How can you get a Hyatt in DC for a total cost of around $60 to $70 a night in summer ?! Biddingfortravel is of great help. We even used Priceline for some accommodations we needed in Tokyo this March, though the hotel available seems to be only one name. Still it beat out the low end "cheap" accommodation (much inferior but costed the same or more.)

A vote for Embassy Suites! We stayed their precruise last February and will do it again in November! Love the cooked to order breakfast and the complimentary manager's reception (happy hour). The pool is very nice. We had a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the pool. Embassy is our hotel of choice although you probably can't go wrong with either! Good luck with your decision!

We usually stay at Embassy Suites but in Sept we will be staying at Amerisuites behind it. Directly across from the Embassy Suites is Chucks Steakhouse and a Chevron gas station. Immediatly behind the chevron is a fantastic liquor store. Three of us walked over and picked up a case of champagne, a bottle of brandy, bottle of Ketel One, small bottle of vermouth, olives and onions. we left the purchase there and walked over to the Winn Dixie next door for a few items and then directly across the street to a great wine shop. got three bottles and a bottle of port walked back to the first store and got a prearranged pickup from the driver for embassy suites so we didnt have to struggle with the goodies. we then packed all but the case of champagne and didnt go to the ship until 3 pm. by then there were 14 cruiseline clerks but only about 30 passengers so there was no wait. Only comment from cruise personnel was "can we party with you in your cabin?"

Taters (and all who know Pier 66): does anyone know if they still have their Sunday (Champagne!!) Brunch? It's our favorite meal and we would love to look forward to Brunch when we got off the ship!!!!

I'm not sure if they offer Sunday brunch anymore or not. I haven't done that there since I was a teenager. We are usually headed to Port Everglades by 11 am and I cannot remember the last time we were actually there on a Sunday. Sorry I cannot be more help! Maybe you could give them a call? You can go to http://www.pier66.com for more information.

Have a great day everyone!

Taters

There is no comparison between these hotels. They Hyatt is a beautiful hotel with giant boats and yachts surrounding the hotel. It is a stones throw from the beach and just a few minutes from Port Everglades. I have stayed there a number of times. Go there.

Archived