Carnival V Royal Caribean International

ScotFi

Royal Caribbean has ships with more bells & whistles like iceskating rinks, surfing pools, malls, etc.

Since I'm not interested in any of those things, I like the large cabins, lower prices and 24 hour icecream Carnival has to offer.:)

RCI and Carnival are very comparable. RCI has very beautiful ships, Carnival's ships have a very vegas feel, some consider gaudy.

I found the food to be much better on Carnival than my RCI cruises, more choices, and the choices seemed of better quality. Carnival really seems to be focusing on their food offerings.

The RCI ship that you are considering will have a rock climbing wall, but no ice skating rink or flowrider. So the ships should be pretty close as far as amenities go.

MAC

If you are into the look of the ship, RCI has a classier look and a more sophisticated look for their ships. Not necessarily true of the guests though! Carnival has a vegas look and can be gaudy at times.

If you want rock walls, ice skating, and mini golf, choose RCI. If you want decent meals, decent entertainment, and a fun time, either is good.

If you feel that a larger room is important, you need to choose Carnival over RCI.

We have sailed once on Carnival so far with another trip on Carnival on Saturday. We have cruised RCI four times. We have also cruised with Disney.

The choice of lines was mostly due to others we were traveling with or other circumstances. Each week of each trip is different depending on the group you get on board. Don't sweat the small stuff and have a great time.

Aleece

Scot - I've also cruised on both lines. Although the two are pretty much the same as far as service and entertainment - I much prefer Carnival, for many reasons. The larger cabins, more amenities, and the food - plus value - are the reasons I'll stick w/Carnival. I'm a retired chef from N.O., food is important to me, and I'm not disappointed on Carnival ships. Also - in the dining room on Carnival you can have complimentary espresso and cappuccino in the dining room with all three meals a day - not so on RCCL. I had to pay dearly for them.

I hope that you have also posted this on the RCCL boards! You have many loyal Carnival cruisers here, that will speak highly of their favs. I have cruised 5 times with RCCL, and once with Carnival, I'm trying it again after a horrible experience on the Paradise in 2003.

Comparing what I know from that cruise, RCCL doesn't even compare. The carnival older ships, are just that old. Yes, they have bigger rooms, but who wants to spend the time in their room? RCCL has so many things to do, wonderful classy atmosphere-- and I really don't think you can compare the two.

I look foward to trying it again, but it would not be my first choice-- I'm going as a second trip this year with some friends. For a great cruise vacation I would look elswhere.

Best of Luck!!

Look at these two photos and you pick!:rolleyes:

1747118607_carnivalpool.jpg.1ebe7ba3722332e002f3f7b862a90e25.jpg

289433559_RCCLpool.jpg.6467361ade60908891da5186aed2b742.jpg

856004518_carnivalpromenade.jpg.967b867287b140b0df37e23cf339a4f7.jpg

Well my opinion is Carnival is geared more towards families with children, and Royal Caribbean is geared more for adults. Just my opinion. I have been on both.

I wouldn't say that. They are both equally geared toward families. And the Freedom/Voyager class ships, even more so.

But we are talking about Fascination verses Enchantment. Honestly, Enchantment would have more of a wow factor for me. I've been on Sensation/Elation (similiar to Fascination) and they were great quick getaways. But if it's not that much more, then I would go for Enchantment.

Scot - I've also cruised on both lines. Although the two are pretty much the same as far as service and entertainment - I much prefer Carnival, for many reasons. The larger cabins, more amenities, and the food - plus value - are the reasons I'll stick w/Carnival. I'm a retired chef from N.O., food is important to me, and I'm not disappointed on Carnival ships. Also - in the dining room on Carnival you can have complimentary espresso and cappuccino in the dining room with all three meals a day - not so on RCCL. I had to pay dearly for them.

I agree with this! I live near Galveston and have been on the Conquest CCL and the Rhapsody RCCL . WE go for the food too and the food was better in our opinion on Conquest, especially the offerings on formal nights/desserts Yes, the cabin was bigger on Carnival, too. Granted the Rhapsody is a smaller ship, but overall we were dissapointed with the experience and much prefer Carnival out of Galveston. Plus our kids loved the kid's clubs much better on Carnival, they were very dissapointed in RCCL.

p.s. we loved the afternoon tea on Carinval, but they dont have this on RCCL ship out of Galveston.

We cruised on the Conquest last October for our honeymoon. It was fine, but not great. When we docked in Cozumel next to the Rhapsody, I was in awe of that ship. I spent the rest of my Conquest cruise wishing I was on the Rhapsody, especially when I found out that that itinerary was very similar except that week they went to Key West instead of MoBay. I hated Jamaica and will never get off the ship there again.

When it came to booking our cruise for this year, we wanted the Rhapsody but didn't want Jamaica. So, we chose her sister, the Enchantment. I'm really excited to see what it is like. I will reserve judgement until I have tried RCCL. Perhaps I will like it better than Carnival. If I don't like it, I will try another line, but I probably won't go back to Carnival. In my opinion, the Conquest was just big and not much else.

Carnival is fine for some people and not others.

To me it seemed like Carnival was more geared towards "inside entertainment" and keeping you inside the ship.

Also the range of people was very different on CCL. Much younger and more diverse group of passengers on CCL, and way more outspoken. RCCL was mostly older, and white (not saying anything is better or worse, just an observation!!). But I have only been on one cruise with each line but they were during the exact same week.

The pizza, hotdogs, and hamburgers were better on CCL, but all the other food was better at RCCL. We were treated like kings on RCCL versus CCL. CCL everyone was very funny, but service was a little better on RCCL.

I would sail either line again, I enjoyed both of my cruises a great deal :)

As you've seen, some people prefer one and some prefer the other. I've cruised with both lines and like them both. I'd suggest examining the ship info on both cruiseline websites and and other sources, including photos, comparing the itineraries, and reading recent reviews about both in the CC Reviews section.

Both ships have had recent renovations/upgrades, so both should be in very good condition. The main difference I see is that Enchantment has balconies and Fascination doesn't (or very few). If that isn't an issue, you most likely won't spend much time in the cabin anyway, so cabin size is not usually much of an issue.

For me the research is half the fun!

Jeff

I hope that you have also posted this on the RCCL boards! You have many loyal Carnival cruisers here, that will speak highly of their favs. I have cruised 5 times with RCCL, and once with Carnival, I'm trying it again after a horrible experience on the Paradise in 2003.

Comparing what I know from that cruise, RCCL doesn't even compare. The carnival older ships, are just that old. Yes, they have bigger rooms, but who wants to spend the time in their room? RCCL has so many things to do, wonderful classy atmosphere-- and I really don't think you can compare the two.

I look foward to trying it again, but it would not be my first choice-- I'm going as a second trip this year with some friends. For a great cruise vacation I would look elswhere.

Best of Luck!!

Look at these two photos and you pick!:rolleyes:

I am curious which ships you show in your photos. If those were pictures of the Paradise, I think that ship came out in 1998 or thereabouts, and it is an old ship. We never sail old ships on ANY line. I was on the Carnival Liberty in August, and the pool area and atrium look NOTHING like your photos. The pool area and atrium were quite nice. Which Royal Caribbean ship is in your photo? It looks like one of the newer ships. If it is one of RCI's newer ships, then comparing an old, small 1998 Carnival ship to one of the newer and fabulous Royal Caribbean ships is beyond apples to oranges.

We sail and love both lines.

P.S. - I see you described RCCl as having a "wonderful classy atmosphere." These kinds of statements amuse me every time I read them. Royal Caribbean is wonderful, but certainly there is nothing "elegant" or "classy" about it, at least to me. As I have said before, I guess it is a matter of what you are used to in your everyday life. Royal and Carnival offer fun mainstream cruises, and I love them both. We were on the Carnival Liberty in August and are going on the Valor in November. Next year, we are going on the Mariner and the Navigator (with a Princess cruise thrown in, too).

I am curious which ships you show in your photos. If those were pictures of the Paradise, I think that ship came out in 1998 or thereabouts, and it is an old ship. We never sail old ships on ANY line. I was on the Carnival Liberty in August, and the pool area and atrium look NOTHING like your photos. The pool area and atrium were quite nice. Which Royal Caribbean ship is in your photo? It looks like one of the newer ships. If it is one of the newer ships, comparing an old, small 1998 Carnival ship to one of the newer and fabulous Royal Caribbean ships is beyond apples to oranges.

We sail and love both lines.

She is looking into the Fascination or the Enchantment. The Fascination is older and smaller correct? Same as the Paradise. The pictures posted are of those two ships from Webshots.

The Carnival liberty I hope would look better, it's new!

P.S. - I see you described RCCl as having a "wonderful classy atmosphere." These kinds of statements amuse me every time I read them. Royal Caribbean is wonderful, but certainly there is nothing "elegant" or "classy" about it, at least to me. QUOTE--

--------------------------------------------

I don't understand your post, the decor, the dining, and "crowd" seem to be much classier then when I was on the Paradise.

I don't know what you mean about what I have in my everyday life? I don't live in a cave. I'm a cultured 28 yr old that enjoys a nice night out to dinner and Drinks-- and I think RCCL does that in a classier way then Carnival.

Maybe Liberty will change my mind, I'm going in with an open one.

She is looking into the Fascination or the Enchantment. The Fascination is older and smaller correct? Same as the Paradise. The pictures posted are of those two ships from Webshots.

The Carnival liberty I hope would look better, it's new!

That's the pool area from the Enchantment??? You are right, no comparison. That is a beautiful pool area. If I am not mistaken, the Enchantment is a pretty old ship. I am impressed. I have to rethink my "no old ship" rule. Seems I might be missing out.:)

That's the pool area from the Enchantment??? You are right, no comparison. That is a beautiful pool area. If I am not mistaken, the Enchantment is a pretty old ship. I am impressed. I have to rethink my "no old ship" rule. Seems I might be missing out.:)

The Enchantment went through a complete Renovation, and they inserted a new piece in the center of the ship. This is when they completed redid the pool deck. It is a great looking smaller ship.:D We might cruise on her one of these days-- We are just stuck on Princess right now.

P.S. - I see you described RCCl as having a "wonderful classy atmosphere." These kinds of statements amuse me every time I read them. Royal Caribbean is wonderful, but certainly there is nothing "elegant" or "classy" about it, at least to me. QUOTE--

--------------------------------------------

I don't understand your post, the decor, the dining, and "crowd" seem to be much classier then when I was on the Paradise.

I don't know what you mean about what I have in my everyday life? I don't live in a cave. I'm a cultured 28 yr old that enjoys a nice night out to dinner and Drinks-- and I think RCCL does that in a classier way then Carnival.

Maybe Liberty will change my mind, I'm going in with an open one.

Not trying to change your mind. Believe me, the Carnival Liberty is not elegant or classy, either, not by any stretch of the imagination. But that is not what we are looking for. If we wanted an "elegant" or "classy" cruise, we certainly would not be sailing either Carnival or Royal. We are very laid back and only want to have fun, and we had a blast on the Liberty. I hope you do, too. Happy cruising.:)

Not trying to change your mind. Believe me, the Carnival Liberty is not elegant or classy, either, not by any stretch of the imagination. But that is not what we are looking for. If we wanted an "elegant" or "classy" cruise, we certainly would not be sailing either Carnival or Royal. We are very laid back and only want to have fun, and we had a blast on the Liberty. I hope you do, too. Happy cruising.:)

We too always look to have a great time, and like a lively crowd, but really enjoy nice dinners with just the two of us in the special restaurants. I think the service and the dinner is a very nice way to spend an evening.

Happy Cruisin to you too!:D

My general opinion is Royal Caribbean has better service and nicer ships. The food is about the same. Royal Caribbean has a bit better entertainment.

Carnival is an excellent value for your money.

You'll enjoy yourself no matter which you choose!

Archived