Hawaiian dress wear

usernamealreadynuse

I have read many posts about the dress code on NCL cruises in general and the Hawaiian cruises in particular being somewhat less dressed up on formal nights than other cruises. I was wondereing what is considered fashionable on the Pride ships for formal evenings. I know there will be a full range of dress on the cruise and I'm not concerned so much about being under or over dressed. I would just like my atire to fit in with the atmosphere of the cruise. So, for all of you that have been lately, just what does Hawaiian formal wear look like? I'm thinking something more than a tropical shirt but less than a suit or tux. Mahalo

I bought three beautiful long Muumuus with matching shirts for my husband. That is what we wore for formal nights on both of the 15 night Circle Hawaii cruises we've taken, and intend to wear the same for the 15 night Circle Hawaii next month. They were dressy enough and casual enough at the same time. I love the formal pictures we had taken. The photographer had fun posing us in our attire. We'd never wear them at home but were perfect on the Hawaii cruises.

Do search on the internet for Hawaiian clothing, I ordered from Jade Fashion and also Hawaiianaclothing.com. Hilo Hattie doesn't have a large selection and are much higher than the other places.

We were on the Pride of America last month. There were a wide variety of dress styles seen onboard every night including the optional "formal" night. These included jeans, khaki pants, tropical shirts and tuxedos for men and capri pants, Hawaiian dresses, and long gowns for women - and just about everything else in between.

Whatever style you choose, you will definitely fit in. It did appear that many, many people took advantage of the local clothing shops. Beautiful floral prints and many leis were seen all day and night throughout the ship. People definitely embraced the "Aloha" spirit.

The crew also wears their Hawaiian attire...tropical shirts in bright colors and various shell and nut leis were seen at all times.

You will have an amazing vacation!!

ALOHA!!

The matching muumuus and shirt idea sounds good to me.

At the risk of starting a fashion war, my advice is to stay away from matching alohawear! I know people love it (and Hilo Hattie's built an empire on the concept) but it's pretty much considered a fashion faux pas by locals and long-time residents. There are plenty of options for a couple (or family) to wear complimentary (but not matching) aloha attire without having to immediately identify themselves as "cutesy," unimaginative, and (pardon the term) somewhat tacky tourists.

Having said that, aloha attire is always appropriate in Hawaii unless specifically stated otherwise. When we see something that says "formal," people are expected to show up in a tux or equivalent but usually over half will opt for a suit and a few will be in (usually long-sleeve) aloha shirts. Personally I tend to wear the tux to those events but, in the case of a cruise around the state, I prefer to skip the formal dining room that night and stick with slacks & aloha shirt in a more casual venue.

For the guys - if you don't want a bunch of aloha shirts that you might never wear again, you can always wear a nice camp shirt (Tommy Bahama, Nat Nast, etc.) and be considered very well dressed for almost any event.

At the risk of starting a fashion war, my advice is to stay away from matching alohawear! I know people love it (and Hilo Hattie's built an empire on the concept) but it's pretty much considered a fashion faux pas by locals and long-time residents. There are plenty of options for a couple (or family) to wear complimentary (but not matching) aloha attire without having to immediately identify themselves as "cutesy," unimaginative, and (pardon the term) somewhat tacky tourists.

Having said that, aloha attire is always appropriate in Hawaii unless specifically stated otherwise. When we see something that says "formal," people are expected to show up in a tux or equivalent but usually over half will opt for a suit and a few will be in (usually long-sleeve) aloha shirts. Personally I tend to wear the tux to those events but, in the case of a cruise around the state, I prefer to skip the formal dining room that night and stick with slacks & aloha shirt in a more casual venue.

For the guys - if you don't want a bunch of aloha shirts that you might never wear again, you can always wear a nice camp shirt (Tommy Bahama, Nat Nast, etc.) and be considered very well dressed for almost any event.

Mahalo for this great response. We always dress in "Hawaii nice" (can't think of a better name for it) for dinner at the nicer restaurants in the evening or to the theater and similar events or venues. DH wears casual slacks and his nicer aloha shirts (silks, more muted designs, tone-on-tone designs), and I wear either silk slacks with a pretty top or a nice sundress. No Tevas, but nice sandals with those outfits (although we do live in Tevas the rest of the time). We've seen visitors come into really upscale restaurants wearing jean shorts and sloppy t-shirts. We see locals in those same places dressed for a nice evening. I especially love some of the beautiful mu'umu'us and such that the ladies wear.

Recently, another member (also a haoli like me and also one who visits as often as possible) and I had a rather interesting discussion about attire in Hawaii. In response to my comment on a cruise attire thread that I wouldn't wear shorts and a t-shirt to a nice restaurant at home, so I wouldn't at one of the nice restaurants onboard a ship, she wrote that I "shouldn't visit Hawaii" because we'd be out of place if we wore slacks since the locals would spot us as tourists since no Hawaii resident ever wears anything but shorts and other casual attire. I couldn't convince her otherwise; she insisted that Hawaii residents never wear long pants, dress shirts, nice dresses, or any kind of formal wear no matter what the event. Even when I pointed out that there are plenty of shops in Hawaii with dressy and formal attire, including Hawaiian traditional dress, she countered that those were tourist stores and Hawaii residents would only shop there for clothes to wear on the mainland. I went so far as to point out that restaurants such as La Mer have dress codes. For that, she responded that it only said jackets or long-sleeved dress shirts (assuming I guess that they'd expect you to wear shorts with that suit jacket). Because I had mentioned a couple of places in Waikiki, she assumed that we only know the "tourist oriented" areas. Of course, I explained that we spend very little time in Waikiki and stay elsewhere. Still, she wrote that friends of hers, who had moved to Hawaii a few years earlier, had quickly gotten into the "local custom" of wearing "shorts, t-shirts, and Tevas" everywhere for all events.

It's just nice to have a bit of vindication. Every local we've ever talked to has said essentially the same thing: We dress to suit the occassion and can usually spot visitors by either the completely matched aloha wear or the fact that they wear super casual, sometimes almost beach clothes, to the upscale places.

I have to agree with you about the matched outfits. My DH used to work in Hawaii several weeks a year and figured out right away what to wear and when to wear it. My parents, OTOH, did the whole matching outfits thing on their two visits. They look so happy in their photos. I decided then that, even though DH and I wouldn't be caught dead dressed that way, I would no longer judge others who chose to do so. Sure, they're going to stand out as tourists and it is definitely considered a fashion faus pax, but if they're happy, who am I to judge? I do agree though that families look much nicer in aloha attire that looks nice together, but is not identical. (BTW, we have some similar "tells" for tacky tourists visiting our lovely CA central coast. People tend to assume that we're all blonde, tanned surfers who wear board shorts or cutoffs and tank tops with slippers everywhere. Yep, you can walk into an upscale restaurant here and spot some, not all, of the tourists immediately.)

The bottom line though is that couples or families who wear the matching outfits may make the locals shake their heads, but as long as they're happy with what they're wearing and as long as they feel good about it, where's the harm? I know many pax have their formal night pix on Hawaii cruises with the whole family wearing the matching outfits. It's something they can have as a happy memory of their wonderful visit to the islands.

Phew...Sorry to vent/rant about the whole "Hawaii attire" issue. I guess the other thread bugged me more than I realized. DH and I would rather not be "tagged" as tourists (at least, not on sight).

beachchick

No wonder my post stalled, I guess the board can't post two entries at the same time.

Anyway.

Does anyone have an idea how Princess views Aloha wear for formal night?

We will be on the Pacific Princess 10/13 to Tahiti. I am not looking forward to

packing my suit or renting a Tux unless absolutely necessary, excess baggage is a real pain. I have been renting as needed but I'm tired of the rental charges to pad the bottom line for Princess !

No wonder my post stalled, I guess the board can't post two entries at the same time.

Anyway.

Does anyone have an idea how Princess views Aloha wear for formal night?

We will be on the Pacific Princess 10/13 to Tahiti. I am not looking forward to

packing my suit or renting a Tux unless absolutely necessary, excess baggage is a real pain. I have been renting as needed but I'm tired of the rental charges to pad the bottom line for the cruise company !

Phew...Sorry to vent/rant about the whole "Hawaii attire" issue. I guess the other thread bugged me more than I realized. DH and I would rather not be "tagged" as tourists (at least, not on sight).

beachchick

Dear beachchick,

Sorry if my thread bugged you. Really. I have grown to respect your comments after just a few weeks of browsing these boards in preparation for our land/cuise trip to Hawaii. My question was really directed more to what people wear on the ship for the suggested formal evenings. Your comment sounded as if you had learned to accept or at least tolerate different "styles" which is commendable. I still like the idea of matching dress for DS and myself, at least onboard. I don't mind being dubbed as a "tourist" because, well, I will be one and happy to be one I might add. :) Besides, as a southern guy everyone will know I'm not local just as soon as I open my mouth anyway. :D

Pease,

Tom

Dear beachchick,

Sorry if my thread bugged you. Really. I have grown to respect your comments after just a few weeks of browsing these boards in preparation for our land/cuise trip to Hawaii. My question was really directed more to what people wear on the ship for the suggested formal evenings. Your comment sounded as if you had learned to accept or at least tolerate different "styles" which is commendable. I still like the idea of matching dress for DS and myself, at least onboard. I don't mind being dubbed as a "tourist" because, well, I will be one and happy to be one I might add. :) Besides, as a southern guy everyone will know I'm not local just as soon as I open my mouth anyway. :D

Pease,

Tom

:o Oh, Tom, I'm so sorry. The thread I was referring to was not this one and my response about that was not directed at you at all. I apologize if I wasn't clear about that and if I made you feel bad. Although I'm always happy to debate or discuss, I try to be tactful and somewhat clear. In this case, it seems I wasn't. Your thread here didn't bug me in the slightest! You're asking very reasonable questions about what pax tend to wear onboard the NCL ships.

The thread I was referring back to was either on this board (don't think so though) or NCL/RCI because those are where I've been spending time lately. That thread had to do with the usual "Can I wear shorts in the dining room?" thing and was not even about Hawaii. What "bugged" me was that I knew I was right about what locals usually think is or is not appropriate for various places. I knew that residents do "dress up" for upscale places, but couldn't convince the other member (I simply can't remember who it was) otherwise. She was equally convinced by her own experiences and what her friends who had moved to Hawaii said. Ka Honu's post about wearing nice clothes to various events (including a tux, if appropriate) was a little vindication (for my petty little brain) that, "I was right!":D

To answer your actual questions. You will not look out of place any night if you're wearing casual, lightweight slacks or khakis and a nice aloha shirt. Sandals are fine too, even though the dress suggestions say no shorts, t-shirts, or sandals in the dining rooms or specialty restaurants at dinner. Give me a break! It's Hawaii! No, we didn't wear our everyday Tevas and didn't wear slippers (that's flip flops to us mainlanders) to dinner, we did wear nice leather sandals every evening. Do bring a lightweight sweater as it can get a tad cool with the A/C. For the optional formal (dress up) night, about 40% of the pax were dressed somewhat formally (some tuxes and gowns, but more suits and cocktail outfits), about 40% were dressed as my DH and I were, which was just a trifle dressier than other nights, and 20% were in resort casual. Of course, shorts and t-shirts/tank tops are fine in the buffet and Blue Lagoon at all times.

I really meant what I wrote about matching aloha wear. Especially onboard, you'll fit right in. On the islands, you would stand out as tourists, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just because my DH and I have chosen not to, doesn't make your choice wrong. Years ago, I was kind of "oh, we're above that touristy stuff." After looking at many pix of happy people wearing matching outfits, I realized that my attitude was pretty lame--Happy people in Hawaii, what could be wrong with that? I'm sure there are people who look at me and think, "Why is she wearing that?" I'm definitely not a fashion plate.;)

I hope that clears up my miscommunication. Truly, it was not your thread or your questions that had bugged me. (And I hadn't really realized that the other thread had been on my mind until I read Ka Honu's post, when I thought, "Hah! I knew it.")

beachchick

I purchased a new Tori Richard shirt made in Hawaii, so the label says for our 15 day RT. A couple of years ago at the Aloha Mall, I saw an identical TR shirt like the one I had on for $80. That made me feel good as I paid $20 for mine at the Nordstrom Rack.

:o Your thread here didn't bug me in the slightest! You're asking very reasonable questions about what pax tend to wear onboard the NCL ships.

beachchick

beachchick,

Got it. In my earlier response I was trying to recognize your experience and knowledge of Hawaii and also give you credit for keeping an open mind. But, after reading your reply and my post as well I guess I did sound a bit defensive. That has more to do about me than your comments. :o

So, with all the mushy stuff out of the way, we can get back to what this board is here for; sharing Hawaiian info. Tom

beachchick,

Got it. In my earlier response I was trying to recognize your experience and knowledge of Hawaii and also give you credit for keeping an open mind. But, after reading your reply and my post as well I guess I did sound a bit defensive. That has more to do about me than your comments. :o

So, with all the mushy stuff out of the way, we can get back to what this board is here for; sharing Hawaiian info. Tom

Excellent then, we're all happy and in sync. (And, hey, I'm a girl, I'm all for the mushy stuff too.);)

Mahalo too for your nice compliment earlier. I'm glad to help when I can.

star gazer: Good work. Nordstrom is a great place to find those kind of bargains on the sale racks. We've found some great deals here on the mainland, and our favorite place to buy aloha wear when we're in Hawaii is Sears (especially in the Ala Moana center). We've found TR and other hight quality aloha shirts for $30 to $40--same fabric and pattern as the ones in Hilo Hatties and on the ship, both of which want at least $80 for them!

beachchick

p.s. to Ka Honu: :D If your head gets too big to get your kukui nut lei over it, you'll know you're in trouble.

Well, I certainly don't want to commit a fauz pax with our matching clothes, but they are so beautiful, and we have had so many compliments. Guess those people were laughing at us behind our backs. Thank you so much for sharing what people really think.

Well, I certainly don't want to commit a fauz pax with our matching clothes, but they are so beautiful, and we have had so many compliments. Guess those people were laughing at us behind our backs. Thank you so much for sharing what people really think.

Jeano - I guess they have been laughing at us too - and my DH is Hawaiian!!!:eek:

I just want to say that we have never laughed at those wearing matching outfits. We might know it's not the thing for us, and we might even think, "Oh, isn't that just so cute?" But we'd never laugh about it. Now, a guy in a teeny, tiny Speedo or a gal in a bikini that's three sizes too small; well, I'd never laugh to their face, but I might chuckle to my DH about it.

beachchick

Now, a guy in a teeny, tiny Speedo or a gal in a bikini that's three sizes too small; well, I'd never laugh to their face, but I might chuckle to my DH about it.

beachchick

I saw a guy at the beach wearing one of those speedo things. It was so funny, the guys belly actually hung down over his suit making him look like he was nude from the front! :eek: Now that's carrying freedom of fashion just a bit too far. :rolleyes:

Hi Beachchick - I love this thread! I rarely read any of the dress/dining threads anymore, but this one has been fun. After many land tours of Hawaii for both business and pleasure, we have a fair number of Hawaiian outfits (not matching) that we'd not wear here at home (unless going to a mainland Luau) but really enjoyed wearing while in the islands. SO, on our very first Hawaiian cruise, we decided for one of the formal nights to wear the following: I have what I consider to be a very lovely long Hawaiian dress with velvet trim and DH wore one of those 3/4 length sleeved white heavy cotton shirts with the lace inserts. We still have those outfits and are debating about wearing them again on our December cruise! It was a fun evening! We actually heard many nice comments!

Ohhh we are in big trouble now!! LOL I bought my husband and I these really nice outfits from the Disney Store. Mine is a blue skirt, with a navy print of Mickey on the beach, with a purse to match, and he got the shirt that goes with it. Well we were one never to fit in....LOL!! I think we will get T-shirts that say "Yes, this is our first time to Hawaii! LOL:D

Letha

Ohhh we are in big trouble now!! LOL I bought my husband and I these really nice outfits from the Disney Store. Mine is a blue skirt, with a navy print of Mickey on the beach, with a purse to match, and he got the shirt that goes with it. Well we were one never to fit in....LOL!! I think we will get T-shirts that say "Yes, this is our first time to Hawaii! LOL:D

Letha

So cute, I want a mickey ourfIt too. I got the blue Mickey tank top with Aloha and Minnie in a hula skirt, it's so cute.

I saw a guy at the beach wearing one of those speedo things. It was so funny, the guys belly actually hung down over his suit making him look like he was nude from the front! :eek: Now that's carrying freedom of fashion just a bit too far. :rolleyes:

Yep, you know just what I mean about chuckling to my DH about it--once we are out of sight and earshot.

Hi Beachchick - I love this thread! I rarely read any of the dress/dining threads anymore, but this one has been fun. After many land tours of Hawaii for both business and pleasure, we have a fair number of Hawaiian outfits (not matching) that we'd not wear here at home (unless going to a mainland Luau) but really enjoyed wearing while in the islands. SO, on our very first Hawaiian cruise, we decided for one of the formal nights to wear the following: I have what I consider to be a very lovely long Hawaiian dress with velvet trim and DH wore one of those 3/4 length sleeved white heavy cotton shirts with the lace inserts. We still have those outfits and are debating about wearing them again on our December cruise! It was a fun evening! We actually heard many nice comments!

Those sound beautiful (handsome for your DH, I guess). What a lovely couple you must make. Do wear them again on your December cruise; bet you get lots of compliments.

Letha

That's a riot!:D Now see, there you've got the matching outfits without taking it too seriously. My DH would be all over getting that shirt. (Hm, perhaps a trip to Disney is in order soon...It's been 3 years!) You'll look great, I'm sure. (I would, however, probably leave the mouse ears at home. But, hey, it's your cruise, right?):p

beachchick

Archived