As You Wish Dining - What and How

hammybee

Few of you have been following my posts on this board, but I promised updates. Yesterday, I received a card in an envelope saying that HAL appreciated my letter, but it would take more time for them to reasearch the problems we experienced on our Noordam cruise. They said they would get back to me when they had completed this research.

I very much appreciated receiving this communication from them and look forward to their comments concerning our terrible AYWD experience.

I want to say one more thing: You people on this board, for the most part, just don't get it. You think it is acceptable to wait 10 to 15 minutes for a table. That is not much time, according to most of you. Well, not long ago, a person could just walk right into the dining room, without wondering how long the wait would be, and be seated right away. Now, if you want to be sure to get a table and immediate service, you must book with the Specialty Restaurant and pay extra money for it. Tell me HAL didn't think of this little factoid when they came up with their AYWD?

One more thing really bugs me that almost none of you care about: HAL used my money and my vacation time to try to work out the "bugs" in their dining system. They should know everything about the system before bringing it to the paying public. Maybe they should have charged less for my cruise considering their unprepardness to handle the problems resulting from AYWD. Or better yet, because my precious vacation time was involved, they should have worked out the problems in beta with their own employees before involving paying passengers. Very few of you get this message.

I want to say one more thing: You people on this board, for the most part, just don't get it. You think it is acceptable to wait 10 to 15 minutes for a table. That is not much time, according to most of you.
It really comes down to what the general public feels is reasonable, not any one of us. Everything is a trade-off. It does seem like enough people consider that a reasonable amount of time to wait to justify that service specification. I think your assertion that people "just don't get it" is therefore off-the-mark. I think people do "get it" -- they simply have different values from you.

Now, if you want to be sure to get a table and immediate service, you must book with the Specialty Restaurant and pay extra money for it. Tell me HAL didn't think of this little factoid when they came up with their AYWD?
I can't say whether or not they did, but it doesn't really matter. If enough people are willing to pay extra for something that they used to get without paying extra for, then it makes sense to charge extra. Indeed, in recent years the trend is towards more a la carte pricing for things. For example: This past month, there was a change in the way DirecTV provides HDNet services. Previously, HDNet and HDNet Movies were both on DirecTV's basic tier of service. After a little back-and-forth DirecTV has now switched HDNet Movies to their premium tier.

One more thing really bugs me that almost none of you care about: HAL used my money and my vacation time to try to work out the "bugs" in their dining system.
Every day is a test. A living, breathing service changes all the time. New features considered, changes trialed, and so forth. You can't have specially-discounted or employee-only cruises for every single service change.

They should know everything about the system before bringing it to the paying public.
That is, unfortunately, completely infeasible.

Very few of you get this message.
Please accept that we do understand what you're saying, and we just think that your perspective isn't reasonable.

Shaco,

Thanks for the update. :) I understand perfectly what you are saying. I agree with you and I do "get it". I do not think having to wait is acceptable.

When I recently made a reservation for a voyage on Prinsendam, I was told that all dining on Prinsendam is going to be "As You Wish", with no early or late available. Maybe this is the exception to the rule because of the one level dining rooms.

Shaco, I understand completely what you are saying. Unfortunately most people welcome these new changes.

In the past I've chosen HAL for the traditional dining and quality of atmosphere onboard. With lots of competition HAL is trying very hard to be ALL things to ALL people. Put simply it is a matter of survival. Sometimes this just doesn't work, or you lose yourself.

We do have choices we can make, if we don't like the 'product' being offered then we go somewhere else.

I wouldn't say that people don't get it. While I agree that waiting 10 minutes for the dining room is not how I want to spend my vacation time, I have a choice, and that is to pick another cruse line. After 5 cruises I will miss HAL, but that is my choice.

Few of you have been following my posts on this board, but I promised updates. Yesterday, I received a card in an envelope saying that HAL appreciated my letter, but it would take more time for them to reasearch the problems we experienced on our Noordam cruise. They said they would get back to me when they had completed this research.

I very much appreciated receiving this communication from them and look forward to their comments concerning our terrible AYWD experience.

I want to say one more thing: You people on this board, for the most part, just don't get it. You think it is acceptable to wait 10 to 15 minutes for a table. That is not much time, according to most of you. Well, not long ago, a person could just walk right into the dining room, without wondering how long the wait would be, and be seated right away. Now, if you want to be sure to get a table and immediate service, you must book with the Specialty Restaurant and pay extra money for it. Tell me HAL didn't think of this little factoid when they came up with their AYWD?

One more thing really bugs me that almost none of you care about: HAL used my money and my vacation time to try to work out the "bugs" in their dining system. They should know everything about the system before bringing it to the paying public. Maybe they should have charged less for my cruise considering their unprepardness to handle the problems resulting from AYWD. Or better yet, because my precious vacation time was involved, they should have worked out the problems in beta with their own employees before involving paying passengers. Very few of you get this message.

IN MY OPINION - the implementation of AYW dining on the Oosterdam has been a disaster. I’m posting this in the factoid sticky since it is primarily factual. My dining assignment in my docs was ambiguous - I wasn’t sure what I’d be assigned to. When I received my card at boarding, it listed “open seating”. In the terminal, there were two lines - one for “assigned seating inquiries” and one for “open seating inquiries”. I’m not sure why they even had one for open inquiries, since they wouldn’t accept change requests and wouldn’t accept reservation requests - “go to the Explorer’s Lounge tomorrow” (Sunday).

So I dutifully went to the Explorer’s Lounge at the listed time - no one there!! There was a sign saying to call 88 for reservations. Called 88 - no answer!! They made it impossible to make a reservation or to discuss switching to assigned seating. Asked a couple of people where the Dining Room Manager was located - no one knew. So I wrote a memo to the DRM/Asst. DRM stating my request. Left it at the Front Desk.

Back in my room, I finally got the information book with the comment card in it (it had gone out for sanitizing). Wrote a comment card and dropped that off at the Front Desk. Finally received a call from the Passenger Relations Manager. Went down to talk about the situation. She had talked to “Mr. Kelly” and I was to see him at 5:45 or 8:00 in the open seating dining room, where my request would be taken care of.

Went to the Open Seating Dining Room at 8:00 - asked for Mr. Kelly (I think he’s a transition trainer for AYW dining). I think he was hovering over the man at the computer, but was trying to stay out of/not interfere with the procedure. The gentleman at the computer was having a terrible time with the software - not sure why, since it seemed rather user-friendly. With some coaching from [Mr. Kelly?], finally found me a table. Had dinner - the stewards were harried, but were staying friendly and efficient. 4 courses and espresso in under an hour. Would make many people happy, but seemed rushed to me - the spacing of the courses was erratic. The area captain (not sure of his title) and I discussed the rush that the stewards were in - he really said that it was hard on the staff. I said that hopefully things would smooth out in the future.

As I was leaving, I asked to make a reservation for 8:00 every evening. The man at the computer said that wasn’t possible. I asked to make an appointment for tomorrow evening at 8:00. Couldn’t be done - I had to go to the Explorer’s Lounge tomorrow or call at 3:00 or just drop by at 8:00 to see if I would luck out and get what I asked for. I said that I went through that today, and the DRM staff didn’t live up to their responsibilities - I would probably be onshore at 3:00 and wouldn’t be calling or going to the lounge. I *think* I have a reservation for a table for two tomorrow, but I’m not sure that he could read the note he wrote down, so I have my doubts.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if they refuse to “grant me my wish” to switch to traditional dining, wouldn’t giving me my request for an 8:00 reservation for every night insert some stability in the institutionalized chaos of their reservation system? WHY is it impossible to make such a simple standing reservation? The software will certainly handle it, so WHY is it so difficult for them? They don’t enforce the dress code (more on that in a post on a different topic), but they want to enforce their ridiculous arbitrary rules of reservations?

I’ll give it the rest of the week, but at this time Celebrity is looking better and better, as much as I would hate to switch from HAL.

Sundagger,

Thanks for the update. I hope this works out better for you the rest of the week.

I do think they should be able to grant you "what you wish" and give you a standing reservation for the same time every night.

Sundagger - Thanks for your review of the new AYWD "experience" :(

It sure doesn't sound very pleasant at all .. I think if we get assigned to that option on next our cruise next month we'll opt instead for dining in the Lido and the Pinnacle Grill; and then perhaps stick with RCI and X more in the future as well.

We have an upcoming cruise on the Noordam and when I called Hal I requested ASYW. He told me that you can make the reservation once you board the ship and you can make the res for the same time for the rest of cruise if you like, or if you want different time on different days you can book it instead of calling everyday. This is what I was told

Good luck with this. What HAL tells you in Seattle is not always the way it works. We have just come off the Noordam. We met a couple that were told the same thing. Thought they had booked a table for two for 8pm every night only to show up the second night with no reservation found in the system. They were not happy campers.

We were told we had to call everyday. One day we called a little after 9am only to be told all reservations were taken.

If you walk in befor 7pm you could get seated quickly. After 7 it could be a long wait.

Good luck with this. What HAL tells you in Seattle is not always the way it works. We have just come off the Noordam. We met a couple that were told the same thing. Thought they had booked a table for two for 8pm every night only to show up the second night with no reservation found in the system. They were not happy campers.

We were told we had to call everyday. One day we called a little after 9am only to be told all reservations were taken.

If you walk in befor 7pm you could get seated quickly. After 7 it could be a long wait.

I agree with this - it's the way it is working on the Oosterdam. You call during the day for a reservation for that night ONLY.

The Oosterdam Guest Relations Manager is my favorite person in the whole world. After the travails of yesterday’s forced AYW dining, today looks much brighter. She called early this morning, then I went down to talk to her at length. We discussed many topics about HAL, the Oosterdam, dining options, the cruise industry, and CC. Yes, she is quite aware of CruiseCritic, although I didn‘t want to press her on the topic.

A correction on yesterday’s info - the person in the dining room that she referenced is “Mister K” - not Kelly. My hearing loss affects a good deal of my life. When I left, it was with the understanding that I had a reservation in the open seating dining room at 8:00 for tonight only.

When I returned from Cabo this afternoon, I had two notices - one confirmed the 8 reservation, and the other was a “seating revision” - I now have fixed dining at 5:45 every evening in the traditional upper dining room - at a railing table no less. I went to dinner this evening and had a wonderful time. Heri is a warm, considerate steward, who I will be happy to have for the rest of the cruise. The dinner was a well-paced 1 ½ hours. I had to flag down the wine steward half way through dinner, but that was the only minor flaw. Oh, and I ate too much, but that wasn’t HAL’s fault except for having too-tempting food.

So under the right circumstances, they will flex their rules a little. Obviously, Guest Relations can’t spend a great deal of time with every passenger who wants a change, but they seem more reasonable and accessible than the dining room management.

Sundagger, this is very good to hear, I am glad they have worked things out for you. This was my impression of what I was told they would at least try to do. I think being the first week and all the problems the first day it just took them a day or two. I think as this process continues and the crew and officers understand it, the process will go much smoother.

As I understand this, this means "dine when you want" between 6:30 and 8: 30 in ANY of the venues?

Also, how easy is it to get a table for 2 in any of the venues?

Thanks in advance.

Jedi

This is only for the Vista dining room. The Lido is buffet and you can dine there at anytime.

The Pinnacle Grill needs reservations and there is a surcharge for lunch and dinner.

The Vista dining has traditional fixed seating and open seating. Open seating or As You Wish (or whatever it's called) you can make a reservation for a certain time, but may not be gauranteed atable for just two. Same with showing up, you may still be seated at a table for 2,4, 6, 8, 10 etc. They seat you at whatever is open next.

The facts and only the facts...

This morning I booked what for me is a last minute cruise - March 8, 2008 on the Oosterdam to Mexico, leaving from San Diego. In reading posts from passengers who booked a cruise over 6 months in advance and weren't able to get traditional dining, I became a little concerned. However, booking this close to the sailing date, I was willing to take AYW and roll with the punches.

Prior to booking, I checked the HAL website for dining available. The only time that was waitlisted was the Early Upper. I tried signing up for Early Lower, but was told it was unavailable. However, I did get my second choice, Main Upper. Since I'm cruising solo, this is a huge relief to me, knowing I'll have a set table, dining time, and dining companions.

I'm not sure why traditional dining (Main Upper and Main Lower) are available on this sailing 60 days out, but those booking well in advance on other cruises have been told AYW is their only option. I just wanted to report my actual experience with booking traditional dining this close to embarkation date.

Roz

Congratulations, Roz. I'm happy for you. :)

Perhaps it's easier for HAL to find a single seat than it is to find place for two or more? :confused: That's one thing I've always noticed when finding a place at the show or a bar!

I now have fixed dining at 5:45 every evening in the traditional upper dining room - at a railing table no less.

Good going! It shouldn't be so much trouble get fixed seating, but at least it did work out for you. Let's hope, as time goes on, that HAL can streamline the process so people are set before they board.

As I understand this, this means "dine when you want" between 6:30 and 8: 30 in ANY of the venues?

Also, how easy is it to get a table for 2 in any of the venues?

Thanks in advance.

Jedi

Dining stats about an hour earlier than your perception.

As far as a table for two goes, other people's experiences are not relevent. There is no way to predict how many on your cruise will want tables for two or when they all decide to dine.

Generally speaking, those willing to meet new people and share will probably have an easier time being seated, but it all depends upon the dynamics on your sail.

Sundagger, good to hear things appear to be looking up in the AYW dining category! "Mr. K" is Mochamad Khaeruddin (now you know why the "Mr. K";) ), one of the asst. dining room managers on Oosterdam. We had a meeting with him on the first sea day last week (he and his trusted laptop "hold office" on the upper floor right of the Vista dining room as opposed to the Explorers Lounge).

You should have another young blonde Dutch asst. dr manager walking around there by the name of Marijn Rensink (If you see her tell her John & Maria said hi) She is very helpful. Enjoy Mazatlan today and the rest of your cruise!

This morning I booked what for me is a last minute cruise - March 8, 2008 on the Oosterdam to Mexico, leaving from San Diego. In reading posts from passengers who booked a cruise over 6 months in advance and weren't able to get traditional dining, I became a little concerned. However, booking this close to the sailing date, I was willing to take AYW and roll with the punches.

Prior to booking, I checked the HAL website for dining available. The only time that was waitlisted was the Early Upper. I tried signing up for Early Lower, but was told it was unavailable. However, I did get my second choice, Main Upper. Since I'm cruising solo, this is a huge relief to me, knowing I'll have a set table, dining time, and dining companions.

I'm not sure why traditional dining (Main Upper and Main Lower) are available on this sailing 60 days out, but those booking well in advance on other cruises have been told AYW is their only option. I just wanted to report my actual experience with booking traditional dining this close to embarkation date.

Roz

When I booked our Feb 23 cruise, on the Oosterdam, last October the only option for traditional was a waitlist. We did request that we be waitlisted on that and that is what the booking shows. This post sent me scurrying to the HAL website, where sure enough it shows

Early Upper Dining: Closed

Early Lower Dining: Available

Main Upper Dining: Closed

Main Lower Dining: Available

Open Seating: Available

So Since we are waitlisted on Man Lower Dining, I have asked my TA to please call them and see why we cannot be confirmed on this. It is indeed Puzzling to say the least, But thanks for posting that information Roz.

We did this last week for our March Ryndam cruise as the HAL website said the same thing. HAL told our TA the website was wrong and we still were stuck with AYWD because my sister and her DH decided to join us at the last minute and they booked a guarantee cabin (cat. A). We booked 6mo. ago and have a suite. I will be interested in what "story" you get!

I will be interested in what "story" you get!

And even though I was incorrect .. all lower is open seating and upper is traditional .. here is the response that my TA got from HAL

Hi (TA's Name),

They are now confirmed for the 8pm dining on the Upper Level. All confirmed dining is now on the Upper Level. All of the Lower Level is now for the Open Dining.

Kind regards,

Karen Merriam

Holland America Line Ship Services Phone Coordinator

I will be taking this with me on the cruise .. in case of confusion. But needless to say .. I am one happy cruiser right now !!

Roz

When I booked our Feb 23 cruise, on the Oosterdam, last October the only option for traditional was a waitlist. We did request that we be waitlisted on that and that is what the booking shows. This post sent me scurrying to the HAL website, where sure enough it shows

Early Upper Dining: Closed

Early Lower Dining: Available

Main Upper Dining: Closed

Main Lower Dining: Available

Open Seating: Available

So Since we are waitlisted on Man Lower Dining, I have asked my TA to please call them and see why we cannot be confirmed on this. It is indeed Puzzling to say the least, But thanks for posting that information Roz.

These days on the Oosterdam, "Lower" means As You Wish dining. "Upper" is traditional. At least this week it is.:cool:

And even though I was incorrect .. all lower is open seating and upper is traditional .. here is the response that my TA got from HAL

Hi (TA's Name),

They are now confirmed for the 8pm dining on the Upper Level. All confirmed dining is now on the Upper Level. All of the Lower Level is now for the Open Dining.

Kind regards,

Karen Merriam

Holland America Line Ship Services Phone Coordinator

I will be taking this with me on the cruise .. in case of confusion. But needless to say .. I am one happy cruiser right now !!

Yes, I was told in strong terms on board, that Ship Services can make a firm commitment, but get it in writing, and bring it with you. Congratulations!

Sundagger, good to hear things appear to be looking up in the AYW dining category! "Mr. K" is Mochamad Khaeruddin (now you know why the "Mr. K";) ), one of the asst. dining room managers on Oosterdam. We had a meeting with him on the first sea day last week (he and his trusted laptop "hold office" on the upper floor right of the Vista dining room as opposed to the Explorers Lounge).

You should have another young blonde Dutch asst. dr manager walking around there by the name of Marijn Rensink (If you see her tell her John & Maria said hi) She is very helpful. Enjoy Mazatlan today and the rest of your cruise!

Yes, I've seen an attractive blonde (aren't they all) uniformed lady roaming the upper level - haven't talked to her yet. I'll definitely mention that you said I deserve a bottle of champagne.

Archived