obstructed view on Grand?

Robrph

looking into an obstructed view on the Emerald deck- anyone with experience there? Wouldn't mind a partially obstructed view if I could see the water and sky. Are these cabins TOTALLY obstructed? Are some more obstructed than others? Price is about half of an unobstructed outside and I could live without a total view as opposed to an inside and seeing nothing of the outside. Thanks for your input.

Rob

We had cabin E424 on the Grand in March and the lifeboat was below the window, so looking out you could see sky, sea, island. If you stood on the bed and looked out the window and straight down, then you would see the lifeboat. Try to get an obstructed between lifeboats or in front of one of the 'small' lifeboats would be my best suggestion.

TL

On our first cruise on the Grand in 1999, our friends had an obstructed Emerald cabin. You could see out but there were lifeboats blocking a "full panoramic view." I can't remember if the lifeboats were just above and below their window or just to the left and right. Whichever it was, they did not actually block the WINDOW but did somewhat block the VIEW. As I recall, you could see out fine if you were standing right at the window but the lifeboats blocked the view from further away.

Also, just a note...my friend said she was shocked one day to find a crewman outside her window! I seem to recall he was doing some maintenance on the lifeboat or the hull. So you may want to keep your drapes closed when you're not fully dressed. ;)

For my first cruise, I was in a partially obstructed view. It was ok, you could see a little bit. The most important for us was that we could notice a difference between day and night. The only problem is that when you get to a port-of-call where tender's required, you won't be able to sleep late as the crewmen lower the lifeboats to tender.

We had had booked an inside on Grand Princess in May '02 and the upgrade fairy visited and delivered a category FF on Emerald deck. It was really nice to have the daylight come in, and yes - you could see water/sky. Main drawback were fact that when inport they would lower lifeboats and use as tenders (a little noisy). Advantage is you get an unobstructed view once the lifeboat is lowered ! If you won't spend all day at sea in the cabin I would go ahead and book it.

Kurt

Archived