Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

I think the idea is that the railing AND the glass below it will be tinted.

I don't understand either.

The railing is solid so you won't be able to see through the railing no matter what the color (unless you are Superman).

The tinting to make the X logo is on the glass below the railing and would only change the view if you spend a lot of time on your balcony at floor level.

from a seated position-- enjoying the sea, a clear view is best but I think our hump cabin is a diagonal one so it is not on the most prominent part--hope that those in cabins with the X will report back if there is any effect....

usually we are out & about on the ship & expect to do the same on this new ship... we don't spend alot of time actually inside the stateroom but the balcony is always a nice refuge when it gets too noisy, crowded, sunny or whatever out in the public areas...Love our balcony!

Just as a bit of fun I had a go at making a time lapse movie of Solstice being built as I've been saving the Meyer Werft weekly images. Some of those I missed (there are still some gaps) I got from here (thanks Bonnie!:cool:).

Here's the link:

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3098777520054958397HhQmsk

Phil

I booked cabin 8343 which is the last balcony cabin before the aft one that wraps around the corner. I see from the photo those big white things with portholes seem to be right where my cabin is. I'm thinking they might be stairwells? Anyhow, what is your opinion on how obstructed this cabin might be? I love the sun and the thoughts of a dark balcony would make me very unhappy :confused:

I booked cabin 8343 which is the last balcony cabin before the aft one that wraps around the corner. I see from the photo those big white things with portholes seem to be right where my cabin is. I'm thinking they might be stairwells? Anyhow, what is your opinion on how obstructed this cabin might be? I love the sun and the thoughts of a dark balcony would make me very unhappy :confused:

I believe that those are for washing the exterior of the windows and that they are mobile (one just happens to be parked in front of your cabin when the photo was taken). I would think the will park them away from balconies with passengers on board.

I think the round porthole is in the rear facing SS1 next to you, making it kind of dual aspect.

It's hard to tell without being on it, but I think the balcony will be dark mainly because of the solid wall of the Sky Suite next door and the larger overhang from the larger deck above. I'm a lover of the light too so that balcony wouldn't do it for me, but it is a bit larger.

Phil

So it appears from these latest pictures (and perhaps everyone knew this before; I haven't been100% good about keeping up on this thread) that the aft cabins (except on the resort deck) have no overhang whatsoever.

Assuming that's true, now I'm beginning to regret booking an aft cabin. I'd hoped of course that it was bigger like on the M class, but I can accept that it isn't. But breakfast on the balcony in our robes in full sunlight and full view of those above us doesn't quite make up for the appeal of the great view at other times.

Of course, regret isn't quite the word, because who can regret going on what seems like such a great ship...

So it appears from these latest pictures (and perhaps everyone knew this before; I haven't been100% good about keeping up on this thread) that the aft cabins (except on the resort deck) have no overhang whatsoever.

Assuming that's true, now I'm beginning to regret booking an aft cabin. I'd hoped of course that it was bigger like on the M class, but I can accept that it isn't. But breakfast on the balcony in our robes in full sunlight and full view of those above us doesn't quite make up for the appeal of the great view at other times.

Of course, regret isn't quite the word, because who can regret going on what seems like such a great ship...

It is very possible that the aft balconies are not finished yet. Note that other cabins don't have their balcony dividers in.

Perhaps, there will be some sort of overhang canapy put on after like the M Ships.

Aft Overhang

Please read subject: Just Got E-Mail From Meyer Ship Yard Re Solstice

Thread 139 & 139 Aft Pictures, looks like they have an over hang.

no overhang, except top deck, and odds are they won't be doing anything more except putting up the partitions.

Just read a blurb on another web site that compares the construction costs of the Celebrity Solstice and Carnival's newest ship, the Splendor:

· Splendor: $212,000 for each of the 3,006 cabins ($640 million total)

· Solstice: $320,000 for each of the 2,850 cabins ($912 million total)

Not sure where the Solstice cost came from because the May 21, 2007 =X= press release indicated a cost of $280,000 per cabin or $798,000 total cost. Could it be cost escalation and/or foreign exchange deterioration of the USD against the EUR?

In any case up until now I did not think there would be that much difference between the costs of building a modern cruise ship. I would like to think that at least some of the extra money is going toward the onboard amenities and furnishings that will make the Solstice stand out that much more against the competition. :)

Just read a blurb on another web site that compares the construction costs of the Celebrity Solstice and Carnival's newest ship, the Splendor:

Not sure where the Solstice cost came from because the May 21, 2007 =X= press release indicated a cost of $280,000 per cabin or $798,000 total cost. Could it be cost escalation and/or foreign exchange deterioration of the USD against the EUR?

In any case up until now I did not think there would be that much difference between the costs of building a modern cruise ship. I would like to think that at least some of the extra money is going toward the onboard amenities and furnishings that will make the Solstice stand out that much more against the competition. :)

:eek: Good afternoon,

I'd have to agree with you that the difference between ''real'' ( current)costs and the one reflected in last May '07 press release is the noticeable battering US$$ has taken VS the Euro in the past 10 months....

Also, that grass on top must be pretty expensive.....! (:rolleyes: )

It is also a fact that, as regards amenities, ==X== is spending quite a bit more than CCL, in line with their respective image and profile.

Cheers

:)

Waitwaitwait...there's 2,850 *occupancy*, not cabins. Solstice would have 5,700 occupancy if there were that many cabins.

Waitwaitwait...there's 2,850 *occupancy*, not cabins. Solstice would have 5,700 occupancy if there were that many cabins.

Your are correct, I should have said 'berths' instead of cabins. These costs are so huge it's hard to equate them to reality! Sorry for the misquote. :)

Archived