Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

Hi, everyone.

We haven't sailed Celebrity, but thank you for the links. The photo gallery looks gorgeous, something that DH would enjoy immensely. Love the clean, contemporary lines and soothing feel of the ship.

I'm familiar with RTKL. They've done fabulous buildings in Baltimore and those in the trade line up for contracts with RTKL.

Well, I just may be booking the Solstice very soon. Still a little hesitant about a ship this size. ;)

Karen

Karen, I am still a little hesitant too......;) you have a long

ways off to cancel though......I figured I would put a deposit

down. Who knows what can happen in a year?:eek:

I may be on a cruise and it could sink....just TEASING LOL....

or maybe I could win the lottery and take everyone on

a cruise....just TEASING:D

Karen, I am still a little hesitant too......;) you have a long

ways off to cancel though......I figured I would put a deposit

down. Who knows what can happen in a year?:eek:

I may be on a cruise and it could sink....just TEASING LOL....

or maybe I could win the lottery and take everyone on

a cruise....just TEASING:D

Hey, Lois!

I know what you mean about the size. We saw the Freedom of the Seas and DH said that it reminded him of a floating hotel and he wouldn't want to be around that many passengers, etc.

My draw with the Solstice is the newness (is that a word) and the photos I've seen.

I know how you didn't like your HAL cruise, but I do have a deposit down on the Noordam from NYC. We can hop on Amtrak and be there in 2.5 hrs and it's an 11-dayer for a fabulous price! The ship's less than 2 yrs old also. But, honestly, I feel that the contemporary ambience of the Solstice will attract a different demographic than the traditional ambience of the Noordam, so I'm sitting here debating what to do. DH won't care one way or the other, especially since I do all the planning. ;)

Question, though, since you're the Celebrity expert. .I was just skimming your roll call and read that you've booked an inside. If you were booking a balcony, would you choose the Aqua Class or CC and why? The price diff is not great. Thanks, as always. :D

Karen

Edited to add: If I win the lottery, meet me at the martini bar!

Karen, I have had a CC class cabin once....it was 1 sailing where

I shared a cabin. (I have only shared a cabin twice in all my cruises).

It was nice with a large balcony but I rarely used it:eek:

I don't even know what to tell you...because I usually just do the

"basic stateroom";)

What ammenities do you get with the AquaClass? I know the

Blu Restaurant is complimentary for you...that sounds nice.

But being totally honest.......I cannot give you an educated

answer on either category.

You might ask on a new thread and see what replies you get...

I know some folks love the CC category.

Anyway, look at Jan 11th.....we have a roll started for it:)

As for the HAL cruise.....I had one poor experience but I am

sure you will have fun....after all, their ships sail full too

so many people enjoy their product as well.

Karen, I have had a CC class cabin once....it was 1 sailing where

I shared a cabin. (I have only shared a cabin twice in all my cruises).

It was nice with a large balcony but I rarely used it:eek:

I don't even know what to tell you...because I usually just do the

"basic stateroom";)

What ammenities do you get with the AquaClass? I know the

Blu Restaurant is complimentary for you...that sounds nice.

But being totally honest.......I cannot give you an educated

answer on either category.You might ask on a new thread and see what replies you get...I know some folks love the CC category.

Anyway, look at Jan 11th.....we have a roll started for it:)

Thanks, Lois. Yeah, Blu looks like it's right up our alley (reminds me of one of our fav spots here). Maybe I will do a new thread. Jan 11 is a very good possibility for us. It would be my pleasure to finally meet you. ;)

Looks like the veranda wraps around. You'll have to take lots of photos. We booked an aft Concierge Class.

See you around. ;)

Hi Darren,

We will be sure to take lots of pics. Those who are on the first sailings of her will be really helpful when they post the cabin pictures.

Have fun in Europe with Charlie and Artie!

Toni and Gina

What a shame that the fog-free mirrors are only for suites and aquaspa cabins. Oh, well. I guess they need to have some additional amenities to justify the price differential, but that's something that would actually make a big difference in all cabins.

Ernie, how can if find out if the bed in our C1 room has the couch by the window instead of by the back door? I want a room with the couch by the window.

Like you, I prefer the couch by the window as well. Unfortunately for now there is no way of knowing. Maybe Celebrity will indicate this on the deck plans in the future, but somehow I doubt it. Deck plans have never been a strong point of RCI or Celebrity.

More likely we will just have to wait until the first cruisers (which I am one of) report back.

Ernie

We are very excited about the Solstice. Looking forward to more info as it is released. We recently booked a corner aft Sky Suite and adjoining CC cabin for our family's spring break March 2009. It will be nice to hear first hand experience from the inauguaral cruisers in Dec.:)

Inaugural cruises today are a dime a dozen with so many new ships being built. For this reason the lines really don't do a whole lot different on the first cruise. I sailed on the inaugural of FREEDOM OF THE SEAS and it could have been the 50th cruise for all I knew.

The excitement is really knowing you are the first paying passengers and truly the first to experience a new ship and all it has to offer. Most of real excitement happens before the first revenue cruise, when the ship is showcased in various ports and hosts events and parties for members of the press, local dignitaries, and travel industry professionals.

The positive aspect of it all is that rarely are inaugural cruises the disasters that they once were. Most every cruise line has become quite proficient at bringing new ships into service, so things run much smoother than they used to. Sure there is a glitch here and there, but who cares. It's worth a little inconvenience to be among the very first to experience a new vessel.

Ernie

We are very excited about the Solstice. Looking forward to more info as it is released. We recently booked a corner aft Sky Suite and adjoining CC cabin for our family's spring break March 2009. It will be nice to hear first hand experience from the inauguaral cruisers in Dec.:)

When are you going on your cruise and what deck did you get? I am still confused as to what deck stacks on top of which since the Celebrity travel agent says one things and when you run your cursor over the deck plan of the ship it says another. We originally booked onthe Continental deck but when I saw that it isn't clear what this deck sits over yet (I am assuming the main dining) but didn't want to be over a nightclub we booked the Sky which we told was right above the Continental but like I said I am not sure. Which ever one of us goes on our cruise first we need to help each other out on the locations and how nice the Sjy is on the corner. We are in the Sky on the corner also.

Toni

When are you going on your cruise and what deck did you get? I am still confused as to what deck stacks on top of which since the Celebrity travel agent says one things and when you run your cursor over the deck plan of the ship it says another. We originally booked onthe Continental deck but when I saw that it isn't clear what this deck sits over yet (I am assuming the main dining) but didn't want to be over a nightclub we booked the Sky which we told was right above the Continental but like I said I am not sure. Which ever one of us goes on our cruise first we need to help each other out on the locations and how nice the Sjy is on the corner. We are in the Sky on the corner also.

Toni

We booked our corner aft Sky and CC cabin on the Panorama Deck. We sail March of 2009. From the deck plans it seems as if this deck is between 2 decks of cabins. I just do not want to be under the pool deck. When we we sail on Disney, their suites are located right under the pool deck. So noise is always an issue.:( We are hoping to avoid that on Celebrity.

So we are

We booked our corner aft Sky and CC cabin on the Panorama Deck. We sail March of 2009. From the deck plans it seems as if this deck is between 2 decks of cabins. I just do not want to be under the pool deck. When we we sail on Disney, their suites are located right under the pool deck. So noise is always an issue.:( We are hoping to avoid that on Celebrity.

So we are

We are sailing 4 Jan, so I'll try and get a peak on the Panorama Sky Suite location and let you know what I find out.

We booked a CC - I wanted Aquaspa but Mr Wolf is an anti spa and the restaurant situation nixed the deal. We were told if you book AC then you are assigned to Blu for dinner. If you want to eat in the main dining room, then you must see the maitre'd on board to get a table. Since we like the social aspect and formality of the dining room, we are sticking with CC. Although I wish we were getting the fog free bathroom mirrors. Happy about that leg rail though - I either had to sit in the shower to do the legs or schedule a leg wax before a cruise (ugh). :)

I too like what I have seen so far and understand the marketing behind the Leading Ladies. The big decisions were from the experts but it seemed that they gave some great ideas that came from the female view. Let's face it - if you are a woman sailing alone or with a man, you are the one doing most of the unpacking/packing, arranging your belongings in the room and interacting with the bathroom and vanity space far more than the men. Not a slam against the guys - you have your strengths and we have ours! :D A man would NEVER think of the leg rail but to women, it's a little tiny treat.

We booked a CC - I wanted Aquaspa but Mr Wolf is an anti spa and the restaurant situation nixed the deal. We were told if you book AC then you are assigned to Blu for dinner. If you want to eat in the main dining room, then you must see the maitre'd on board to get a table.

Hmmmm...didn't know this, Mrs. Wolf. I am looking at the AQ, but I don't want to be confined to the one dining room, although it will probably be very nice. I may have to re-think things myself. Thanks. ;)

I reserved a cabin for my mom and I on aquaclass. She wanted a regular concierge class, but for $80 more it might be more fun to go to Blu and do spa stuff. She loves doing that.

Now I just have to convince her of this. :D

Hmmmm...didn't know this, Mrs. Wolf. I am looking at the AQ, but I don't want to be confined to the one dining room, although it will probably be very nice. I may have to re-think things myself. Thanks. ;)

Hmmm...hey Karen:) I am just in a regular cabin;)and

are you still thinking about the Jan 11th sailing?:D

Hmmm...hey Karen:) I am just in a regular cabin;)and

are you still thinking about the Jan 11th sailing?:D

Hey, Lois! Yes, Jan. 11 is still in the running! I would just hate run into any snow storms going down or coming back. Will you drive to FLL? I was thinking April also, but DH was fine with Jan 11. Like you said, it's a loooong way off. We'll probably spend 2-3 days pre-cruise and maybe 1 day post.

Not sure if I want to book now or wait a while. I know we will love the ship, though, from the little I've seen.

We'll be away next week (Outer Banks), so we'll have time to talk about it. ;)

Karen, I doubt I will drive down...even here in North Florida

it is 5 hours to drive. Southwest usually has 50.00-60.00 flights:)

And since the cruise is Sunday-Sunday I will probably fly down

on Saturday..start a day ahead:D

Have fun in North Carolina!

madeline - I was told that information at the very beginning so the info was quite confusing. I would certainly doublecheck it before making any final decisions but that's how my TA and I understood it directly from X.

Thanks, Mrs. Wolf. It does make sense, since the AQ clientele will probably be attracted to the Blu cuisine, if it's entirely different from the other dining room.

I hope it's not one of those questions where you get 10 different answers from 10 different people - lol! :D

Well, AQ or CC are both going to be great, for sure.

Karen, I doubt I will drive down...even here in North Florida

it is 5 hours to drive. Southwest usually has 50.00-60.00 flights:)

And since the cruise is Sunday-Sunday I will probably fly down

on Saturday..start a day ahead:D

Have fun in North Carolina!

Right, I keep thinking 3 hours or so for you, don't know why. We have a 5 hour drive to NC, but it should be great...first time for our new dog. She'll love the beach.

Thanks for the good wishes. We reallllllly need to get away and do nothing. I'm praying for great weather like we've been having here. The 10-day says mid-high 70's....my kind of weather. ;)

Archived