Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

jt1120

I live 20 minutes from Port Everglades. Solstice is due to arrive at 7:30 11/3 atleast that is what the port has posted. I plan to be down at the South end of Ft. Lauderdale Beach (at the rock jetty) by 6:30 to watch for her (weather permitting) I can only stay until 8:30 so if she's running late I'll miss it. But if she comes while I'm there I will get and post photo's Monday evening. They will be posted on the thread for the 12/7 sailing and the thread for the Name signing 11/14.

Sorry you'll have to miss it. I'm wondering if I'll be the only crazed Solstice lover down there !!!!!

Here's a sad story: my wife and I live in SW Florida, about two hours away from Port Everglades. We're headed to Ft. Lauderdale this Sunday to see Tina Turner in concert. Unfortunately we volunteered to be the DD for our party of four that are going to the show, which means we have to drive back after the concert. With me so far? The bad side of reality is that we could have stayed in FL overnight and woke up the next morning to greet Solstice as she docks in PE for the first time. Too late, plans have already been made. Can't back out now. %$@#&!

But if it is any comfort, I surely do envy your having concert tickets to see Tina Turner. I hope you have a great time.

But if it is any comfort, I surely do envy your having concert tickets to see Tina Turner. I hope you have a great time.

Sorry, I rather have seen Tina for the 3d time. I am back in NC and i am upset I am missing her.

i am looking forward to my cruise but i would never drive down to see her.. I am an hour away. you can always drive down another weekend.

Hi, and apologies for entering the conversation on this thread fairly late. But I just wanted to say -- glass panel definitely does open. When I was onboard (seems like years ago but it was end of Sept.) all of the balcony dividers were open and it was kind of cool -- you could literally see all the way down from your own verandah. No furniture at that point.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I'm not positive but almost certain (99.9 %) that the glass panel you saw will swing shut and close the opening between staterooms.

Bon

Just a heads up: we weren't given any restrictions about taking photos and in fact I thought Celebrity was really, really open about everything on the Solstice "sneak" that we got in Papenburg.

The photos I took for the photo essay story were basically based on the tour we were given (media were informally divided into three groups, one led by Dan Hanrahan, the cruise line prez, another by Harri Kulovaara, its designer-in-chief, and a third by CEO Richard Fain). While we were encouraged strongly to stay "on the tour" I wandered off a couple of times and snapped away and nobody had a problem with that. I think it was more for safety's sake than anything as the ship was still a construction site.

Re the cabin shots, I will confess that the doors were ever so slightly open on the still-under-construction staterooms and I just nipped in there, unobserved.

Carolyn

Maybe those who were allowed on board & took pics were asked to sign some type of release & waiver?

Anyhow I have enjoyed the photos--they give a better idea of what'll be on board--the balcony pics are very clear..Hope they are fairly opaque when sep. two balconies...

Hi, and apologies for entering the conversation on this thread fairly late. But I just wanted to say -- glass panel definitely does open. When I was onboard (seems like years ago but it was end of Sept.) all of the balcony dividers were open and it was kind of cool -- you could literally see all the way down from your own verandah. No furniture at that point.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

But do the balconies open up completely or just the glass panel. The photos I have seen give me the impression that the dividers are half solid metal and half a glass panel.

Hi Carolyn,

Can you explain if there is extra sound proofing under the pool areas, especially on the Penthouse deck, given the most expensive suites and AQ cabins are there, and its a known fact to be noisy under active decks. Did they do anything special to prevent noise? You would think they would have placed those cabins between 2 floors with cabins.

Daphna

Archived