What special touches do you want in your cabin?

melissa@cruisecritic

If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:  

4,773 members have voted

1. 1. If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:

• Cotton balls, emory boards, Q-tips
    • Handheld steamer
    • Bathrooms with dual sinks
    • Real plants
    • In-cabin coffeemakers
    • Aromatherapy steam showers
    • Hair dryer menu
    • Adjustable lighting with dimmers
    • Key card storage shelf in entryway
    • iPod docking station

Larger showers with glass doors. I'd rather have a larger shower than 2 sinks.

I believe that glass shower doors would be a safety issue. Imagine taking a shower in a rolling sea, losing your balance and falling against and through a glass shower door. Ouch! :eek:

Loved the idea of dimmers and Ipod docking station. How about these ideas;

1. More outlets in accessable places like the vanity dressing table.

2. Night lights in the bathroom and in the vesibule that can be turned off and on.

3. I agree with a previous poster; Alarm clocks or clocks in general.

4. A steamer is an awesome idea!

5. Better thread count sheets.

So glad to hear the ladies are finally be given their opportunity for input into the design.

If anyone mentioned reading lights, I agree.

I've never been in a hotel room which didn't have

dual bedside reading lamps. Why not

on cruise ships? :confused:

All ships i have been on have bedside lamps, or a light of somekind at each bed.

I would like more outlets. In the H/C room I would like a full lenght mirror on the door of the washroom (outside) so I can check my dress before I go. Individual shampoo and conditioner and hand soap (the one on the wall was at the height of a normal person). A "smart" clock would be good (controlled by the ship). Ipods arn't the only MP# players out there, I voted for it by accident. I would like lighters colours used in the cabins or at least more restful colours.

If they continue with the H2O zones they should change those gross figurines. My granddaughter did not like them (6, 9). The one figurine looked like it would jump at them and hurt them (scary).

I would really like some type of fan or "white noise" maker to help with sleeping...also the power strip and clock controlled by ship's computers...ROBES in every cabin (like Carnival)...at least one set of large towels....Some type of wedge for those of us with back problems who need to sleep with knees up.......and a refrigerator big enough for the big bottles of water!!

Please more 110 outlets and some sort of curtain or divider between sitting area and bed. It would be nice not to bother other person in cabin if one person wants to sleep/rest/nap and other person is in the cabin. Shouldn't only be available in suites or minisuites.

A dining table on the balcony like the ones on Princess cruiseships would be nice. We enjoy breakfast on our balcony and never have enough room for all the food on one of those tiny cocktail tables. When we sail on NCL, we put the interior square wood table on our balcony during our cruise.

We also wish all cruiseships had the hot pots like NCL for boiling water for our coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. Room service coffee is never hot enough for us.

I always pack my electric tea kettle with automatic shutoff and my collapsable dining table (only $19.95) that comes with an over the shoulder canvas bag for carrying. Maybe some day all ships will come with dining tables on the balcony and hot pots for my cabin.

Absolutely need the seating area near the balcony door or window. Very upset to see the new floorplan of Solstice with seating area near entry door. Huge mistake. Will have to stick to "M" classs.

Obviously we need more outlets. The older (pre 2002) ships are all outdated in this regard.

We'd love roomier balconies.

The last thing I want to do on a cruise/vacation is to do laundry or make coffee.

DH and I do not book suites, usually go for inside cabin. Lack of space in the bathrooms is a pet peeve. Some ships have no storage space, other than what the stewards use for storing towels. We need space to hang towels and to stow our non-hanging supplies. Even the corner cabinets with doors help. Doesn't have to be fancy, just available. And I did vote for the double sinks. I'd rather have that than a tub, thanks.

Sure hope the ship designers take some of the suggestions to heart. It's hard to be in cramped quarters for the longer cruises.

Thanks for gathering the opinions! :):):)

DUH - Quick booking steerage and you will have a bigger stateroom. You get what you pay for. I think there is plenty of room in our room and in our bathroom

I, too, vote for a laundry. First, I don't like sending my laundry out because some items are washed in a different manner than others (temperature, delicate or not, etc). Second, I don't want the additional expense. After the expense of the trip, having to pay for laundry is ridiculous. With limited storage, on a longer trip it is nice to be able to wash clothes.

Marti

I would much rather have a handheld steamer provided than Q-tips and cotton balls. If it comes down to it, Q-tips and cotton balls are much lighter and more compact to pack in a suitcase than a steamer!

I'm not into the idea of an iPod docking station. You wouldn't catch me dead owning an iPod or anything made by Apple. I do have an mp3 player however and I demand equal charging rights, darn it! :D

DUH - Quick booking steerage and you will have a bigger stateroom. You get what you pay for. I think there is plenty of room in our room and in our bathroom

Quit booking suites and maybe you could afford grammar and typing lessons! ;) :D

In all seriousness though, I don't think this poll was made to be about the "class" of stateroom booked. I think it was made just as a general poll about all "classes" of cabins.

Definately a ceiling fan. We sleep with ours year-round and find it hard to sleep without the air circulation. I know the ceilings aren't high which could be a challenge but they could use the ceiling hugger type. So I have to pack a small fan for the nightstand which leads me to the second thing I'd like most -- more outlets in the cabin.

I could leave more room in my suitcase for clothes if I didn't have to pack a fan, power strip, alarm clock, etc.

Definately a ceiling fan. We sleep with ours year-round and find it hard to sleep without the air circulation. I know the ceilings aren't high which could be a challenge but they could use the ceiling hugger type. So I have to pack a small fan for the nightstand which leads me to the second thing I'd like most -- more outlets in the cabin.

I could leave more room in my suitcase for clothes if I didn't have to pack a fan, power strip, alarm clock, etc.

Good idea! :)

2 Bathrooms- Best idea I have ever heard of

Somewhat larger balconies, so that two people and a table would fit comfortably. One of my favorite cruises was on the Millenium, where we had a aft corner cabin. We could have gotten 20 people on the balcony if we were so inclined

I would really like some type of fan or "white noise" maker to help with sleeping...also the power strip and clock controlled by ship's computers...ROBES in every cabin (like Carnival)...at least one set of large towels....Some type of wedge for those of us with back problems who need to sleep with knees up.......and a refrigerator big enough for the big bottles of water!!

I have one of my own noise makers that I take everyone. IT is also a dual alarm clock -- so it can serve multiple purpose.

Please no sofa bed in cabins with balcony!!! Build in a pullman bed instead.

We were on NCL Spirit and we had a balcony cabin and the sofa-bed was a real nuisance as when it was open it used up all the free space and we could hardly get to the balcony! Also the sofa-bed was so uncomfortable! :(

The pullman bed would be off the floor, thus giving us all the precious space to maneuver around the cabin easily.:)

I see that RCCL's two new ships Freedom and Liberty still have cabins for 3 people that include sofa-bed !! :mad: When we book our cruise with one of those ships we hope to be able to get a cabin for 4 people since those cabins have both sofa-bed and a pullman bed.:cool:

Higher beds would be great - room for large suitcase to be stowed under AND easier for older people to get on and off!! And less backaches for the wonderful cabin stewards. :D

Coin-operated self-service laundrettes would be nice on ships where longer or b2b cruises are common so we can wash clothes for the second half of cruise and not have to bring so much luggage aboard. I do NOT want to do any washings by hand and I do not want to put our undies in laundry bags to be washed by strangers! :eek:

Definitely extra power outlets are needed!! Especially at the bedside table area. I use breathing machine at night and I had to go to Concierge desk to borrow an extension cord to go from the desk table outlet across the cabin to the bedside table. We have camera batteries to charge so the extra outlets would come in handy!

I would like to see all ships outfitted with showers like the ones on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas. There is a hard plastic shower door that zips open and zips closed and no curtain to stick to you while you shower.

I would also like to see real make-up mirror type lighting above the dressing table/desk. Lighting is so important to get your makeup just right.

Outlets foe 110 appliances are sorely needed in abundance. Outlet strips would help.

Archived