jeans at dinner?

emerylynne

I have read conflicting info here and on the ncl site...help

I believe as I understand best that my husband could wear "nice" jeans except on the "formal" night. Anybody have any jeans experience? He would have brand new jeans for the trip. He pretty much refuses to wear anything but...we got married with him in jeans. :eek:

I believe as I understand best that my husband could wear "nice" jeans except on the "formal" night. Anybody have any jeans experience? He would have brand new jeans for the trip. He pretty much refuses to wear anything but...we got married with him in jeans. :eek:

We are also researching to prepare for our first NCL cruise. From what I understand, there is no mandatory formal night, so your husband can wear jeans every night. One of the 2 main dining rooms is designated "no jeans allowed" while jeans are allowed in the other main dining room each night.

I don't remember any 'no jeans allowed' restaurants on our last NCL cruise, and as far as I know, the only rule is no shorts or flip flops in the dining rooms at supper. Nobody is required to dress up for anything, formal night or not. If your husband wants to wear jeans for your entire NCL cruise, I'm pretty sure he's welcome to do so.

Directly from the Daily on the Pearl a couple of weeks ago:

Dress Code: After 5:30 no shorts, tank tops or track suits are permitted in any of our restaurants except Garden Cafe. After 5:00 PM presentable jeans are permitted in all restaurants except Summer Palace Main Dining Room.

Things have definitely changed over the past year.

Jeans have certainly been allowed in all of the restaurants over the past year. No shorts during dinner...though we have seen them.

A designated "dress up or not night", may not allow jeans in ONE main restaurant (or not) depending on the ship. Just head for a different main restaurant that night.

We have noticed that jeans are even allowed in the "specialty" restaurants.

My DH is also a jeans only guy. He has taken a suit along for one formal dinner, but most of the time it's black jeans with a sport jacket or leather vest with white shirt & tie. Even on formal nights he has gotten away with wearing the black jeans. Don't worry about it--plenty of dining options.

Retiredonthesea

• Administrators

From the horse's mouth (NCL's FAQ on their website) with emphasis added --

"How should I dress for dinner?

Freestyle Cruising gives you the freedom to dress as you please – morning, noon and night.

Casual attire is perfect for all restaurants during the day -- Khakis, skirts, jeans, casual tops, shorts or whatever. Swimwear with a cover-up is fine at the buffet and outdoor restaurant.

For dinner, collared shirts and pants or nice jeans work for guys. Slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops are perfect for women. But if you want to dress up and add a little glamour when you dine out, that’s OK too – we’ve reserved one restaurant each night just for that.

For kids 12 and under, nice shorts are appropriate in all restaurants at all times."

The fact that someone can't get a pair of Dockers to wear at dinner is mind boggling.

To only dress like you're going to Home Depot in your favorite pair of blue jeans is beyond belief.

Hey pull my finger!

Why would people dressing according to the published dress code for the cruiseline be "beyond belief?" Isn't that what we are all supposed to do -- dress per the code on our cruiseline? It's one thing to judge others on various lines for their wear at dinner time which doesn't follow the stated dress code (if judging others while you are on vacation is your thing) -- but judging someone for dressing within the code? :rolleyes:

NCL has taken the first step (again) and jeans are now ALLOWED in the dining rooms for dinner. This is the first and only major cruise line doing this. It has been unofficial policy for quite some time. Now good or bad, it is official.

~Intrepid

NCL is not the only one. Last year we were on Carnival we saw quite a number of people in the main dinning rooms with jeans. This year my parents were on Carnival and said the same thing.

Just off the Crown yesterday and saw the dress code was enforced at whim. First day at sea (the optional "dress up day") I saw a man allowed into Le Bistro at 6:00 with shorts and his shirt hanging out. The last night of the cruise some friends saw a woman turned away from the main dining room wearing Carpi pants (I guess the staff calls those shorts as well). However my wife wore a pair just the night before in the Pasta Cafe.

It's pretty damned frustrating.

NCL has taken the first step (again) and jeans are now ALLOWED in the dining rooms for dinner. This is the first and only major cruise line doing this. It has been unofficial policy for quite some time. Now good or bad, it is official.

~Intrepid

Princess have allowed jeans in the Dining rooms on all our trips with them as have NCL. On our only celebrity cruise so far Jeans were ok the nights I wore them.

Welcome home Joan! I thought of you at sail away and waved to your ship as she cruised out ahead of us.

Did you guys have a rough ride the first night out? We did. After that the sun shone and the sea was like a pond for the rest of the week!

We did NCL Sun last April and there were plenty of jeans and T-shirts in the dining room. There were also plenty of slacks and ties. Don't worry about fitting in...That's one of the nice things about NCL...It allows you to dress in a manner that is more in-tuned with "Your Style".

I waved to you to as we set sail! We had the smoothest seas I have ever had, and beautiful weather. The Spirit is well designed for Freestyle and never a problem with reservations. These restaurants didn't get a lot of action as the main dining rooms did. In fact most people ate hamburgers in the Blue Lagoon for dinner, they were yummy but I like the sit down dinner for the evening.

It amazes me too how many choose the buffet for dinner. I suspected that the reservation situation would be a lot different on a ship built for free style. Staff on the Crown confimed it as well. I was on both Majesty and Wind for free style and never had much problem there, but this Crown was different, and frustrating. Even with use of a conceirge.

Oh well, we had a good time regardless but watching such a classic cruiser (as the Crown) be mis used was somewhat sad as well. We'll use a purpose built ship for any future NCL cruise - but HAL is still our favorite.

This dress code thing will never go away. It sure needs to get clarified among the staff on board too.

I wish every cruise ship would ban jeans totally, ( know it won't happen, of course!) is it really so awful to dress in proper, well made trousers, and lets face it, old men( like me!) look terrible in jeans!

Perhaps if the men who insist on this type of clothing looked at themselves(and their backside in particular!) they might have second thoughts before venturing out of their cabin.

I've never owned a pair and never will, they always look scruffy to me, expect perhaps on the odd occasion when a certain young lady may walk past!

Well there we are, thats British reserve for you!

Best Regards from England.

PS. Next cruise-Gem-Barcelona to Boston 3/12/07

Your husband can wear jeans every night, including the so-called Formal Night, which by the way doesn't exist on NCL ships anymore. Instead, today NCL calls them Dress Up or Not Nights. Just ONE restaurant aboard on Dress Up or Not Night will not allow jeans, in all others jeans will be okay.

Stop worrying about the small stuff.....:D

When I vacation, I'm not thinking about how others might judge my appearance. I'm thinking about my comfort and what works for me. I own one dress ... I bought it to wear on a cruise last summer. I've worn it a total of two times and probably won't wear it again. My husband and I prefer khakis or jeans and casual shirts, and I enjoy wearing capris in the summer. Unless someone is wearing something that is offensive (pants that show crack, nipple-showing shirts, cheek-revealing shorts), I don't see a problem. I've got more fun to have than worrying about someone else and how they're dressed. Be comfortable, folks. You'll probably never see the people you're cruising with again, so who cares what they think! I'm much more concerned with the person within than the clothes someone is wearing.

Jeans are a part of life in several States. Really amazing how people can come to a forum and start tell others how they should dress. I have Docker type pants that are actually my work provided uniform. I will be wearing them to Dinner most nights. What is the difference in those vs jeans. They only look like Dockers and are made by Dickie's.

I have not had to buy any shirts or pants in a couple years now since we went to uniforms. They are still work cloths and to me no differenent than wearing Jeans. I wore jeans everyday to work up until the company started providing uniforms. So if they were not provided I would be wearing jeans to every Dinner.

People just need to get over themselves worry about what they do and not worry about what others are doing or wearing.

Tony (and others)

I agree, to a point. But, there has to be some standard. I sure don't want to be sitting in a nice room for dinner, or any meal, and have someone nearby in a tank top with under arm hair hanging out. I'd prefer shoes were worn as well. Clothes should be neat and clean. There has to be some standard. I have always argued with those who have a very stringent view and insist on more formal attire even on traditional ships. Let's face it, some nice pressed capris and a clean silk or cotton top can look much more classy (especially with the right accessories) than many of the dowdy ball room gowns I have seen on some ships. Gawd, it looks like the high school prom on some of the time.

I do worry about how dress gets enforced on a ship. As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, last week on the Crown there was no consistency with the "fanciest" dining room allowing a guy with shorts and sports shirt hanging out while the basic restaurant turned away a women in capri pants (insisting that they were shorts).

Last week on the Spirit I saw a lot of jeans. The sign to the dinning room says "no torn or ripped jeans after 17:00".

Yep, this is the problem. It's not always the "jeans" it's everything else that goes with them. Jeans with nice shoes and a good shirt or top look great. Unfortunately, people were wearing flip flops and ratty t-shirts with those "jeans" at night.

I just don't get the flip flops at night. I know people want to be comfortable on thier vacations but there are many, many forms of footwear that are comfortable and more appropriate in the evening.

Archived