HAL Cancelling Noordam Cruises from NYC November 2008 (Merger of Several Threads)

kristmay

"You may transfer your booking to one of the following cruises at rate paid

or the best available fare in the category booked"

I was one of the many booked on the 11/29/08 Noordam from NYC. I'm waiting to hear back from my TA, but if I transfer my booking to one of the cruises from Fort Lauderdale, do I pay the same fare as on the original cruise, or the higher one on the Fort Lauderdale cruise?

thanks!

Janet

at rate paid

or the best available fare in the category booked.

Sorry to hear everyone upset about Noordam leaving NYC but your misfortune turned out to be my good luck for Jan 2009.

The questions have to do with cabins. I was looking at VDs on the upper promenade deck they look like they have bigger balconies than the VEs on the Verandah deck. But I seem to remember someone saying that balconies on deck 4 had solid railings, is this true?

So in your opinion what Category would be better, VD or VE?

Thanks for the help

Our travel agent still has not got an answer other then the form letter what the price difference will be on the Oct 18 cruise. We booked for an eleven day cruise and now it has been changed to a 10 day cruise. I think we expect more then a cruise credit. How about a full paid day credit as well. No sense to pay for eleven days and get ten days.

Our travel agent still has not got an answer other then the form letter what the price difference will be on the Oct 18 cruise. We booked for an eleven day cruise and now it has been changed to a 10 day cruise. I think we expect more then a cruise credit. How about a full paid day credit as well. No sense to pay for eleven days and get ten days.

Bill - I wish you luck on that. My parents deal with HAL directly and were told, they get the same price plus the $75 pp OBC and that's it or they can cancel. No other adjustments will be made.

Sorry to hear everyone upset about Noordam leaving NYC but your misfortune turned out to be my good luck for Jan 2009.

The questions have to do with cabins. I was looking at VDs on the upper promenade deck they look like they have bigger balconies than the VEs on the Verandah deck. But I seem to remember someone saying that balconies on deck 4 had solid railings, is this true?

So in your opinion what Category would be better, VD or VE?

Thanks for the help

Yes it is your gain...you have them all now during the winter. :(

We were in a verandah stateroom last year on the Verandah deck. The verandahs on the deck below (Upper Promenade) appeared deeper.

The solid railings has been discussed here in the past...I'm sure someone will weigh in on that!

Living in the Midwest, driving to a port has never been an option for us. In a way, we find it liberating that we have no "port of choice" - we look simply at the ship and the itinerary. In actuality, the vast majority of cruisers are not within driving distance to a port. We'd all like to save on air and hotels too, but it's out of the question. We just make our pre-cruise hotel day a part of the trip and have learned to enjoy that.

BUT, if HAL ever based a ship in Chicago and then took it away - I'm sure I'd be up in arms too. :)

Living in the Midwest, driving to a port has never been an option for us. In a way, we find it liberating that we have no "port of choice" - we look simply at the ship and the itinerary. In actuality, the vast majority of cruisers are not within driving distance to a port. We'd all like to save on air and hotels too, but it's out of the question. We just make our pre-cruise hotel day a part of the trip and have learned to enjoy that.

BUT, if HAL ever based a ship in Chicago and then took it away - I'm sure I'd be up in arms too. :)

For some of us, it has a lot to do with factors other than just the convenience of boarding a ship in NYC -- the revenue stream produced by passenger ships using NY Harbor is of value to the city, and maybe most of all, some of us feel it's important to keep NYC's ports a part of the passenger ship industry following the city's traditional role in being the major port of entry to this country for so many of our relatives and ancestors.

As a frequent solo traveler, I can tell you that, after paying the single supplement (but never receiving supplemental service!) the added cost of hotels and even airfare (since flying has become so iffy) may just make it impossible for me to cruise as often as I would like. And that's a pity. Many continue to live in highly accessible places, like NYC so we can partake of such things as ships home-ported here!

I now see that even though HAL and agencies continue to show three sailings in 11/08, they are not booking them. I also tried to book an October sailing as well as the repositioning cruise and they too are not selling.

So either this is a computer glitch or the Noordam's return to the U.S. is being delayed............or might the Noordam be going elsewhere?

She'll be repositioning from Rome to Fort Lauderdale rather than New York. It sounds to me like HAL wasn't willing to pay NY prices for the NY berth or the fuel usage to travel to NY may be exponentially greater than FLL due to currents in the Atlantic. With rising fuel costs as well the cruise lines have to make every effort to keep cruise prices fairly reasonable.

It sounds to me like HAL wasn't willing to pay NY prices for the NY berth or the fuel usage to travel to NY may be exponentially greater than FLL due to currents in the Atlantic. With rising fuel costs as well the cruise lines have to make every effort to keep cruise prices fairly reasonable.

Or perhaps do you think the typical passenger desiring to sail out of NYC was not willing to pay a premium to do so? Here is a copy of my earlier post on this topic on a different thread:

HAL needs about 30,000 passengers to fill the Noordam in a single NYC/Caribbean season.

The cruise lines know better than anyone that most passengers choose a cruise based upon price, rather than loyalty to a particular brand. This is very different than what one would believe from any of the CC boards that attract those who tend to be more loyal to one brand, than price.

Maybe, just maybe, HAL decided that in this case, with the cost of fuel associated with 2 days at sea, coming and going, it did not make a lot of sense to continue to attract those looking for the cheapest cruise. And make no mistake, it was necessary for HAL to undercut the competition to fill the ship.

And maybe, just maybe, those looking to book the cheapest cruise are more likely to avoid onboard spending.

I am not referring to those HAL Pals who frequent this board. It's all about those other unknown 29,900 passengers.

Here is the text of the actual HAL letter regarding the canceled Noordam sailings. I was booked on the Nov 29 departure and am devastated at not being able to sail from NY. There is a deadline of 10-12 to tell them which option you choose!

Sob, sob!

September 24, 2007

Dear

ms Noordam Guest,

Please be advised that we have cancelled the Noordam cruises below:

ms Noordam

Oct 18, 29; Nov 8, 19, 29; Dec 10, 2008

10-day Eastern or 11-day Southern Caribbean

New York Roundtrip

Holland America Line would like to offer you a choice of one of the three following options:

1. You may transfer your booking to one of the following cruises at rate paid

or the best available fare in the category booked.

ms Noordam:

10-day Wayfarer, Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip: Oct 18; Nov 7, Nov 27, 2008

OR

10-day Seafarer, Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip: Oct 28; Nov 17; Dec 7, 2008

PLUS: A Shipboard Credit will be applied to your new booking above based

on the stateroom category booked on the now-cancelled cruise:

$75 per person (up to $150 per stateroom) for current Verandah Stateroom or

Verandah Suite bookings

$50 per person (up to $100 per stateroom) for current Outside Stateroom bookings

$25 per person (up to $50 per stateroom) for current Inside Stateroom bookings

2. OR: You may rebook on any other Holland America Line cruise at the current

best available rate and receive a shipboard credit according to the above.

3. OR: Should you elect to cancel, Holland America Line will refund in full.

Taxes are additional and will be calculated based on the new booking.

Please contact your Travel Professional directly by October 12, 2007 to select one of the

three options above.

We apologize to you for any inconvenience and look forward to welcoming you on a

Holland America Line cruise in the future.

Holland America Line

I am looking at the dates only. I thought these NY sailing attracted familys (no or low cost to fly). If that was the issue (filling the ship) than it is understandable since childen are in school during these dates.

New Itinerary for Maasdam:

October 24, November 7, November 21, December 5, 2008

Fourteen Days; Roundtrip Fort Lauderdale

FLL

Sea

Sea

San Juan

St. Thomas

St.Kitts

Dominica

Barbados

St. Lucia

Guadaloupe

St. Maarten

Tortola

HMC

FLL

VERY port intensive. GREAT itinerary, IMO

Just may have to book this one. Really like it. :)

Finally a good Carribean itinerary.

Hi i switch over to the Noordam from the Explorer of the seas doing an 12 day S.Caribbean cruise from NYC . To the Noordam doing an 11 day cruise. Done 3 Royal Caribbean cruise this year .Was just looking for a more layed back cruise !! And i spent a day on her and had lunch in NYC last Nov. And like it alot .I already had the Explorer cruise book !! I was on the Zuiderdam back in 03 and like the Noordam better !! About the price the Noordam is alittle cheaper then the Explorer .But that class and the new Freedom class of RCCI ships get there price !! I could have done a 14 day HAL cruise out of FLA for the same price as i am doing on this cruise !! But i don"t have to fly !! And this will be the first time doing a winter cruise from NYC ! Everybody looks at the prices and the deal"s they can get !! We are on cruises 2 to 3 times a year !! I always look to get an Balcony cabin for the price of an outside cabin !! Or the great deals my TA shows me ! But if a cruise if booked high when i want it .I just book an inside cabin !! I rather spend the money on the cruise and ports !!!To each his own .

Hi i switch over to the Noordam from the Explorer of the seas doing an 12 day S.Caribbean cruise from NYC . To the Noordam doing an 11 day cruise. Done 3 Royal Caribbean cruise this year .Was just looking for a more layed back cruise !! And i spent a day on her and had lunch in NYC last Nov. And like it alot .I already had the Explorer cruise book !! I was on the Zuiderdam back in 03 and like the Noordam better !! About the price the Noordam is alittle cheaper then the Explorer .But that class and the new Freedom class of RCCI ships get there price !! I could have done a 14 day HAL cruise out of FLA for the same price as i am doing on this cruise !! But i don"t have to fly !! And this will be the first time doing a winter cruise from NYC ! Everybody looks at the prices and the deal"s they can get !! We are on cruises 2 to 3 times a year !! I always look to get an Balcony cabin for the price of an outside cabin !! Or the great deals my TA shows me ! But if a cruise if booked high when i want it .I just book an inside cabin !! I rather spend the money on the cruise and ports !!!

Waht would you do if your destination port was changed to a different city without notice? Our Oct 4 2008 sailing was changed from New York to Fort Lauderdale without notice. We don't want to fly after a cruise, so what do you think our options are now?:mad:

You have two choices the way I see it.

Go and don't go.

HAL has given you until October 12 ? (is that the date?) to decide. I wouldn't like it anymore than you or the others do but 'ship' happens.

Now you choose between Option 1 - - - go on your wonderful cruise and enjoy it. Book transportation home and accept that is now necessary.

Or

Option 2 - - - Cancel and miss out on your wonderful cruise.

Of course, there is a third option. Book something else but the 'something' else (if you want to sail HAL) will also require transportation home.

I would hate it....Probably whine for a while, maybe even kick things, but after my tantrum I think I'd have to adjust. I doubt very much I would stray from HAL, every time I did stray, I have always come back.

I'm not sure why, other than perhaps the large fee's that NY has, why Hal is pulling out of NY for Fla,Seems to me when the ship pulls out of NYC the ship is full to capacity.

Our Noordam trip leaving 10/20 is packed, not one room available. Maybe they will send a different ship to take her place in the near future.

In closing be upset but don't miss out on a beautiful ship and a great cruise.

Capn

knitlady037

I would all so look at other cruise lines that leave from NYC or a port close by. If you stayed with HAL you would have to add the extra cost in for transportation to the ship to the total cost of your cruise.

By the way, I lived in Staten Island for 42 years. I lived in Tomkinsville, Tottenville and last Great Kills. Went to Tottenville and New Dorp high schools. Graduated from CSI. I miss the city.

I use to take lots of cruises out of NYC. It was so easy to get to the ship. At time we would just take one rolling suit case and one carry on each. Then we would take public transportation up to the west side to get the ship! As we got older we would treat ourselves and take the Staten Island rapid transit (the train) to the ferry. Then once in Manhattan we would go for the extra money and take a cab to the ship! Those were the days.

Geo

Knitlady, I can empathize with how you feel. I would probably be kicking and screaming and having a temper tantrum too. But, since this cruise is booked so far in advance, and you probably picked just the cabin you wanted, If you can, just go. Flying itself can't be your issue since you have to fly to embark. Years and years ago my DH took Amtrack from FLA to NYC with my mother. He said it was an awful trip. I have a travel agent friend who drives to FLA and leaves a car there when she cruises. She makes it a leisurely trip up and back. I'd probably go nuts in a car all those hours, so if it were me, I'd just book a hotel for a day or two in FLA and then fly home.

Obviously you like the Noordam since you have sailed her before and booked two additional cruises. Good luck whatever you decide.

You could ask yourself exactly why you wanted to take this particular cruise, and is there another one that would serve that purpose.

By this I mean, did you want to sail the Noordam specifically? Or do a trans-At? Or were there particular ports on the itinerary that appealled to you? Something else?

If it was to sail that ship, then you could book something before she leaves NYC. If it was to do a trans-At, there are other ships that cross (probably on the more northern route) that end in NY. If it was the ports, are they worth needing to fly at the end?

Whatever else?

It does seem that some compromising of what you wanted is now necessary, but your primary reason for this cruise can probably still be met.

Archived