new to silversea

fizzy

We are all set to try Silverseas cruiseline this April 08. We have many RSSC/Regent cruises under our belts but due to a policy change this coming year, we decided to switch lines. (sadly) Anyway, we heard from our TA that Silverseas will be a very fine switch for us. I actually will be very pleased with the formal nights. We will be going on the Wind. This will be the smallest ship we have ever cruised on. What would be the differences we might notice regarding the size difference as far as stability and comfort? Does anybody who has sailed both lines have any opinions to offer? Thanx

We have sailed both Regent, Silversea and Windstar ( even smaller). I think what makes the difference in motion of the ship depends more on where you are, both on the ship and what waters you are in. Best place on the ship is midship and lower deck. The waters you are in will make the most difference.

Question ? What is the Regent policy change? Our next cruise is Silversea, but we love Regent and wanted to sail them again.

thank you marycang....we will be in the Carribean for an April cruise and are hoping for smooth seas. I like to have a cigarette on my balcony in the morning with my coffee and usually the same deal before bedtime. Regent has gone to a no-smoking in cabins/balconies rule as of 2008---so I am told. The current rules had always been just fine with us but I feel this seemingly little change is a dealbreaker. I prefer not to have to change out of my night clothes to go to a public area to enjoy my coffee.

Regent has gone to a no-smoking in cabins/balconies rule as of 2008---so I am told.

A large fraction of the passengers (if not the majority) will prefer that rule, and it won't be surprising if Silversea adopts the same rule some time down the road, especially since their newer ships (Shadow/Whisper) have such well ventilated "humidors" for those who like smoking. There had been debates on the safety of smoking on balconies, lit cigarette butts blown back by the wind onto the ship can cause fires, and fires at sea are the most dangerous kind.

We have never smoked but realize that it is a matter of individual choice, though hopefully those who smoke will do it in such a way as to be safe, and not cause others to get second hand smoke. Yes, it is up to the cruise line to make the rules, and Silversea, being Italian may be more sympathetic to smokers!

SS will be non-smoking in the cabins as of 12/07. I think all non-smokers will be glad. We had a cigar smoker next to us on our Norway cruise and it did intrude when we were on our balcony.

Are you saying that smoking will not be allowed in the cabins and on the balconies for our Panama Canal voyage this coming December? That will be reassuring news for us!

I am also interested to see if this is true. I was happy when Regent announced its new policy, but it did make me concerned that Silversea would then get all the smokers from Regent, thereby increasing the percentage of smokers on Silversea. We have a 2 week on SS in Dec-Jan and then again next year so I would be delighted if the policy were changed to no smoking in cabins/balconies.

NJBelle

Welcome to Silversea and Cruise Critic! You will love Silversea. You can read reviews by clicking on the Review button at the top of Cruise Critic - then search for Silver Ship you are interested in. You can read the professional review then click on Member Reviews for Cruise Critic Poster Review. Hope this helps.

the SS site, the same paragraph is in 5 or 6 places and doesn't address the cabins that I notice: http://www.silversea.com/silversea.aspx?page_id=ourfleet&id=304

My first Regent cruise is on the 27th on Voyager, so I can compare after that. I can compare Wind and Whisper. We were midship on both. We did feel movement more on Wind than Whisper and felt movement in anumber of locations, but not enough to upset us or make us sick. It made for interesting putt putt contests, and we were awakened a time or two.

For other comparisions, service on both ships was great, but on Wind, it was more intimate, and the whole experience was just special. Whisper was a bit more modern and had better bathrooms in the cabin, but both experiences were special

I would like to go back to giving an answer to fizzy's original post. I will digress only to say that there is another thread on this board in which it is stated that no smoking policy changes for SS are in the works. Be that as it may.

After a number of Regent cruises, we booked the Cloud (sister ship to the Wind) in Sept '06 Stockholm to London. To sum it all up for one familiar with Regent, it was like cruising on a Paul Gauguin sized ship with suites like those on the Mariner. We hit some rough seas, and the little Cloud took them in stride, and rode very well. The Cloud seemed to be free of the vibration and shaking problems that plague some of Regent's ships -- or portions of them -- and I have been told this is true of all SS's ships. As we prefer smaller ships (300 guests or less) we really liked the Cloud!

Indeed, for our next cruise, we too have booked the wind for March 18. Our decision to book SS instead of Regent these times had nothing to do with smoking policy, as we do not smoke. Rather it was a matter of price/itinerary/timing. And, of couse, the fact that we prefer the smaller size of SS ships.

HI

We also are embarking on our first SilverSea cruise. We are going to be on the Silver Whisper. I kept reading about the dry dock that was needed and called SS. They said it will be dry docked for 10 days in October.

Does anyone know what they do on the dry docking?

Also is there cappacino aplenty?

Finally, why are there no roll calls on SS?

Josephone

Per Dafne - the Whisper's Drydock:

** Flat screen TVs in all suites

** New in-suite audio systems

** Gym expansion and equipment with individual tv screens

** Re-carpeting of public corridors/suites

** Re-upholstery of chairs and sofas in suites and public areas

** Wi-Fi in all suites

- The enhancements below are expected to be done prior to dry-dock;

** Installation of "Viking Cooking School at Sea" equipment

** New Sealy mattresses (Stearns & Foster Plush and Sealy Posturepedic Plush EuroTop)

Per Dafne - the Whisper's Drydock:

** Flat screen TVs in all suites

** New in-suite audio systems

** Gym expansion and equipment with individual tv screens

** Re-carpeting of public corridors/suites

** Re-upholstery of chairs and sofas in suites and public areas

** Wi-Fi in all suites

- The enhancements below are expected to be done prior to dry-dock;

** Installation of "Viking Cooking School at Sea" equipment

** New Sealy mattresses (Stearns & Foster Plush and Sealy Posturepedic Plush EuroTop)

In a previous thread, someone mentioned that the Shadow would be due for wetdock this coming beginning of January, just before the 2008 world cruise. I am just curious whether the above mentioned changes have already been made before, or not until the very beginning of next year?

Archived