Tell Me All About The Golden!!!!

Sunny AZ Girl

Speaking of things that swim in the sea....

Here is a sight I hope to see while in Cabo!:cool:

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1279192942014847456IvtKrd][IMG]http://inlinethumb16.webshots.com/20943/1279192942014847456S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Picture by sassjt:)

Can anyone give any advice as to where is the best place to be while sailing out of Cabo on the ship? I hear that you see a lot of whales (in season) while leaving port.:)

[quote name='shawilson']For those of you that don't want an exposed mini on Dolphin, try E729. I think it is the best mini on the ship. It has a huge, curved balcony, side view and wake view, fully covered. You could fit 15 people out there for cocktails. It is over a show lounge, but not on the side where the speakers would be blaring. Never heard a thing.

Didn't try room service, as my DH would go up early for breakfast and bring me back food. E729 is a straight shot up to the buffet and pools.

Just a note about the aft pool: It is under the walkway for Skywalker's (the shopping cart handle part of the ship, as I have heard it called) and has limited sun. If you prefer shade and watching the wake, this is your spot.[/quote]

We just had E729 on Golden. Absolutely right about the size of the balocy - it's huge. Twice as long as other minisuites'.

Here are a couple of photos to show what I mean:

[quote name='jacksan1']We just had E729 on Golden. Absolutely right about the size of the balocy - it's huge. Twice as long as other minisuites'.

Here are a couple of photos to show what I mean:[/QUOTE]
Wow! That is a beautiful balcony! I will remember one for the next time I cruise on the Golden! And from what I've read on this thread and others I'm already thinking of when the next time will be. DH is showing signs of being jealous. He has to work & can't come along on this one!:D I'm not quite ready for the upgrade to a mini this time...two cruises within three months of each other put a kabosh on that!:rolleyes:

Shopping anyone? This is one of my favorite things to do onboard!:D
These are the shops on Deck 7.

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2739749820046097424pesLZQ][IMG]http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/21081/2739749820046097424S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[I]photo by cljw69[/I]

Here are the shops on Deck 6. Two levels of shopping - I'm in heaven!:D Tell me all about the shopping - are there any kind of items unique to Princess that I should look for? How about specials - do they run really good deals at any special times? Is there a $10 Shop (yes, I'm cheap!;) )

[URL=http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2782225550046097424WiUaqO][IMG]http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/7218/2782225550046097424S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[I]photo by cljw69[/I]

We were on the repositioning cruise with David. I don't believe that the menus were the new ones -- at least they didn't appear to be too different than the Dawn's menus last November. We did notice that there was no escargot. Don't know if this was because this was only a 6 day cruise or if it has been eliminated from the menu. I was disappointed as I love the escargot. Also, the lobster on formal night was not like the lobster tails we had on the Dawn. It was listed as lobster tail and king prawns but they didn't really look like prawns--it was good though. Overall the food was good, but not great. We ate in the Desert Rose Steakhouse one night and it was very good. It is well worth the $15 per person charge.

We found the entertainment to be very good. They had Dan Bennett, a juggler/comedian who we had seen last year on the Dawn. He is fabulous. Also the magician )

Gaetano

), the comedians (Steve Smith and Kelly

Monteith

) and the hypnotist (Tim

Triplett

) were very good. We didn't go to any of the production shows.

Hope this helps. I photographed the menus for someone else here on Cruise Critic but haven't yet figured out how to post them. If you post your email address I would be happy to email them to you.

Thanks for this very informative post! Please e-mail me here: monakayk@hotmail.com and put Cruise Photos in the subject line so I can have it automatically put in my Inbox and not trashed.

Hope this helps. I photographed the menus for someone else here on Cruise Critic but haven't yet figured out how to post them. If you post your email address I would be happy to email them to you.

I received the menus from you. Thanks!:) They look good....I am hearing about new menus. Do you know how different they will be? Of course, since I've never cruised Princess before any menu will be new, lol!:D I have to admit that the I am beginning to have the RCI menu's memorized. I enjoy the food there, too, but it will be nice to have a change!;)

We just had E729 on Golden. Absolutely right about the size of the balocy - it's huge. Twice as long as other minisuites'.

Here are a couple of photos to show what I mean:

These pix just made my day. WE booked this room for next year! I am sooooexcited.

Can anyone who has been on the Golden Princess recently tell me what the charge is now for the Specialty Restaurants?

Is the steakhouse on the Golden called sterling or Desert rose?

We are getting conflicting reports about the steakhouse.... some say $15pp and others $30pp.... Thanks for any info

Can anyone who has been on the Golden Princess recently tell me what the charge is now for the Specialty Restaurants?

Is the steakhouse on the Golden called sterling or Desert rose?

We are getting conflicting reports about the steakhouse.... some say $15pp and others $30pp.... Thanks for any info

We didn't care much for Desert Rose on Golden. I think it was $15 pp. Not bad, but not really memorable.

Anyone on this thread ever have a cabin on the Emerald Deck with an 'obstructed view'? :confused:

Our cabin is E624 and by the diagram it looks like the life boat is smack-dab in the middle of our cabin's window. Not too worried about it, but it would be nice to see a photo of one of these rooms and how 'obstructed' the view really is when the life boat in right in front of the window.

Thanks!

Anyone on this thread ever have a cabin on the Emerald Deck with an 'obstructed view'? :confused:

Our cabin is E624 and by the diagram it looks like the life boat is smack-dab in the middle of our cabin's window. Not too worried about it, but it would be nice to see a photo of one of these rooms and how 'obstructed' the view really is when the life boat in right in front of the window.

Thanks!

Not on the Golden. But, I did have an obstructed view on the Emerald deck on the Sapphire before.

The image below is of our room (E315) on the Sapphire, from the outside of the ship. You'll see that the lifeboat is right in front of the window, but it's one of the smaller lifeboats, so it actually lets you look over the boat. The big lifeboats will allow some light into your room, but you won't have a view unless the lifeboat is tendered, or you happen to have the room between lifeboats (still considered obstructed).

Obstructedviewsmallboatcopy.jpg

In this picture you can kind of see the situation with the windows and larger lifeboats.

obstructedviewlargeboatcopy.jpg

Here's the view from the other side of our window.

obstrview.jpg

I hope those give you a better sense of what to expect.

I agree about the lobster "tails". They were the strangest looking lobster tails I've ever seen, but I ate four of them. Two in Sabatini's and two on the formal night. I just had to try the beef wellington so I had that along with the lobster, but it wasn't seasoned at all and the crust wasn't really puff pastry as it should be. But you're right, food is so subjective, I think you'll be happy with most of it.

My next room is E729, the very last mini suite on emerald deck. I did hear about the noise when docking but never sleep late, even on holiday, so I'm hopping it won't bother me. And besides, I'll have five sea days on this cruise so we won't be docking much.

I did a review of the cruise under ship reviews so please go there and read it. Maybe some people wonder why I gave it a 5+ rating when everything wasn't 100%. Well, overall I really liked most of the ports, all of the crew and my fellow passengers were just fabulous. So why not give it a 5+? I don't think anyone should be discourage from the Golden.

David

I forgot about the menu request. I don't have any menus and I definitley can't remember them. I can hardly remember this morning! But never having been on a Princess ship before, I would know the difference between old and new. All the menu's sure looked good to me. Tom, did you take any pictures of the menus? Also, hello to Steve and Ada. It sure was good to meet you and have lunch with you in Victoria.

David

I did a review of the cruise under ship reviews so please go there and read it. Maybe some people wonder why I gave it a 5+ rating when everything wasn't 100%. Well, overall I really liked most of the ports, all of the crew and my fellow passengers were just fabulous. So why not give it a 5+? I don't think anyone should be discourage from the Golden.

David

Hi, David! It was nice to see you on the AZ thread.;)

Thank you for the great review. I agree with you - no cruise, or any other vacation, is ever 100%. There are too many variables and too many personalities involved. But when you go on a beautiful ship with a wonderful crew & you don't have to cook or clean, PLUS you get to travel to beautiful places, then you will have a 5+ experience everytime!:D

Not on the Golden. But, I did have an obstructed view on the Emerald deck on the Sapphire before.

The image below is of our room (E315) on the Sapphire, from the outside of the ship. You'll see that the lifeboat is right in front of the window, but it's one of the smaller lifeboats, so it actually lets you look over the boat. The big lifeboats will allow some light into your room, but you won't have a view unless the lifeboat is tendered, or you happen to have the room between lifeboats (still considered obstructed).

Thanks for these photos.

I can only assume that since our cabin (E624) is not far on the deck plans from E611, that our cabin will have one of the larger life boats in front of it just like the photo for E611.

As I said, NO Problem...we got the cabin as an upgrade from and inside and this OV is larger in sq. footage...which is really what we will enjoy.

Thanks for these photos.

I can only assume that since our cabin (E624) is not far on the deck plans from E611, that our cabin will have one of the larger life boats in front of it just like the photo for E611.

As I said, NO Problem...we got the cabin as an upgrade from and inside and this OV is larger in sq. footage...which is really what we will enjoy.

Sounds like a good upgrade, then! Chances are that you'll have an unobstructed window in Cabo, where they tender. And other than that, it will give the room at least a little natural light, which for me is preferable to being in a windowless room. =)

Thanks for these photos.

Mona - it looks as if you got a great upgrade! Enjoy!!!:D

Archived