All things Monarch of the Seas

Hello fellow cruisers!

The thread started by Christine for the Explorer is so informative and helpful, I thought I'd start a thread for my favorite ship, the Monarch of the Seas!

I know there are many monarch fans on this board and they can post here their links for pictures and compasses, as well as give praise to any of the hundereds of favorite crew members onboard. (I love the Monarch crew)

I'm even hoping that my friend Debbie (mohavemommy) can repost her very helpful information on the cabins with obstructed views. :)

Lets see how many more people we can find to join the Monarch Fan Club! :D

Well I haven't been on the Monarch (yet) but recently we had a price drop on flights from Boise to LA to around $150. And a 4 day on the Monarch for $169! So my husband is getting it as a christmas present. I'm glad you started this thread because the only thing I've heard from my travel agent is...."keep in mind this is an old ship" which scares me. Will we be board?

Will you be bored????

Oh quite the opposite my Monarch Loving Friend!!!

I've Monarch compass pages in my signature if you'd like to see what there is to do onboard. They have activities scheduled from morning till evening, and Southern California rarely has bad weather, so there's a great chance you'll have a nice sunny day, with highs in the mid to low 60s during the day, and possibly down to the mid 40s at night. Yes, it can get chilly at night outside, so do bring a jacket with you. But I can assure you it is no where near as cold here as it is in Idaho.

The ship is older, but is kept in SUCH great shape, it is a very lovely ship.

The food is very good, the service is outstanding, and all of the crew members are so friendly! The staterooms are small, and having a window does help. The bedding has been upgraded and the cabin has made great use of all available storage space, so there is room for all of your clothing, shoes, toiletries and luggage. We have found that we can even get away with a 4 day cruise with one carry on + overnight bag each!

The quest is always fun, and there are always shows and comedians and participation activities for you to join in.

You're going to have a great time! Any other questions, just ask us Monarch Fans :)

Well I haven't been on the Monarch (yet) but recently we had a price drop on flights from Boise to LA to around $150. And a 4 day on the Monarch for $169! So my husband is getting it as a christmas present. I'm glad you started this thread because the only thing I've heard from my travel agent is...."keep in mind this is an old ship" which scares me. Will we be board?

I was on the Monarch last Dec. I did not think the upkeep was as good as the Vision (my only other cruise) There were a few things that I thought should have been fixed, A few broken chairs in the showroom, and some wallpaper that was pealing very bad. but nothing that really I would call bad. The staff on the Monarch was top notch, this is where the ship really shines. every staff memberI met was wonderfull, and did a fine job. there was so much to do there was not enough hours in teh day.

We are Monarch fans also! It's a great little cruise. I am hoping to be able to do a B2B some day!

I actually saved Mohavemommy's deck 8 cabin list to my desktop!

Here it is!

Monarch Deck 8- minimally obstructed views (Between lifeboats)

8008 8508

8030 8530

8032 8532

8034 8534

8036 8536

8038 8538

8048 8548

8050 8550

8060 8560

8072 8572

8084 8584

8096 8596

Thanks for that lifeboat obstructng cabin information.

I also want to add to make sure that you do not book the inside cabins on deck 2 which are directly underneath the centrium. You'll hear music all night long, your ceiling will vibrate, and you'll go out of your mind! :eek:

We love the Monarch as well. The Adventure Ocean for the kids is great! We loved the food and the drinks. But best of all, we loved the service. The crew make you feel like it's an old restuarant or bar that you have been coming to for years (kinda like Cheers). The one where everyone knows your name;)

Good food and great people to be around helps you overlook the small imperfections like cabin size, wear and tear...stuff like that. Go...enjoy yourselves!!

We too are Monarch maniacs!!!! Since no one else has mentioned it I would add that Danney (Loyalty Ambassador), Trudy (Guest Relations) and Capt Karin are the greatest. They are all so friendly and make the cruise a wonderful experience.

I *heart* the Monarch. I have sailed 4 times since Feb. and going again in Dec. The guest relations staff are fantastic and the I.T. guys are the best.

I wish I could sail once a month... but I do see the ship twice a week. ;)

I too love the Monarch. My one piece of advice is when booking oceanview cabins avoid booking one on deck 7 as that is the promenade deck. If you do book an OV on deck 7, remember to close your drapes before changing clothes.:p

We too are Monarch maniacs!!!! Since no one else has mentioned it I would add that Danney (Loyalty Ambassador), Trudy (Guest Relations) and Capt Karin are the greatest. They are all so friendly and make the cruise a wonderful experience.

Trudy is absolutely fabulous. She went out of her way to help my sailing companion when two major personal issues popped up for her during our cruise.

Fellow Monarch Lovers, who are some of your favorite crew members (cabin attendants, waiters, bartenders)?

Mine are:

Dining room:

Sheldon Rodriguez, head waiter

Peter Drozo, head waiter

Abdullah from Turkey, head waiter

Miland Salwat, head waiter

Silbourne Reid, waiter

Rudresh (India), waiter

Andrew Rego, asst. waiter

Alexandre (India), waiter

Franco (India), waiter

Edgard (Peru), waiter

Ionut Tiene (Romania), waiter

Bartenders:

Alok Sharma, Boleros

Noel (India), Pool Bar

Boris (Romania), Schooner Bar

Cabin Attendant:

Estella, Nicaragua

Kesley (caribbean island)

George (St. Vincent)

I too love the Monarch. My one piece of advice is when booking oceanview cabins avoid booking one on deck 7 as that is the promenade deck. If you do book an OV on deck 7, remember to close your drapes before changing clothes.:p

That's a very good tip!

I also want to throw in that if you are on deck 2 or 3 in the very front of the ship, there is a chance you'll hear the anchor when tendering in Catalina.

If you are on deck 2 midship, right off of the staircase there is a chance you'll hear the gangway door opening and the "ding" of the guest-inventory-machine-at-security.

Hey there all you Monarch lovers! We have never sailed RCI before, but are seriously thinking about this ship for a June 08 trip for my son's graduation. A few questions if I may.........are there alot of things for 18 year olds to do or participate in on this ship? How are the suites? I understand there are no extra perks for suite passengers except VIP boarding, is this true? Are there beaches to just relax on at all ports of call? As far as dining goes, we are big fans of NCL's Freestyle dining and Princess Personal Choice dining, but admittedly we have never tried traditional. If we decide that it isn't for us (but who knows until you try) are there other dining options besides a buffet in the evenings?

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to reading any responses or suggestions!:D

Hi there,

I think that you will have a great cruise, but you don't have to take my word for it ..... just let me introduce you to the other posters here that are up to their 10th cruise on the Monarch! :D

I think that there are a lot of activities for an 18 year old to do. There is a teen area (Fuel) onboard the ship. I have some adventure ocean compasses for 16-18 yr olds in my Monarch Compass album that you are welcome to look at.

I do not believe that there are extra perks for suite pax, but I'll let others confirm this.

In the Mexican Baja itinerary, there are not many lovely beaches. If you're doing the 4 night itinerary you can visit beaches in San Diego or Catalina, but in Ensenada I'd recommend doing anything else but trying to find a beach.

As far as dining goes, there is the dining room, the windjammer buffet, and Jade which is a sushi restaurant. There is Sorrentos pizza on deck 12, but I do not believe that there are many other dining options unless you want dining room food in your cabin, which is available from room service.

Might I suggest trying the traditional dining? I've always had exceptional service onboard, and that way you can get to know some great waiters and bar service personnel.

I do hope you choose this ship. I think you'll have a great time! ;)

I'm a relative novice to Monarch - I have only been on her once but have 2 more booked - she is a cute little ship, and the staff are great! I too have had great experiences with Trudy and Danney, who were so very helpful.:D

I was never, ever bored. There are 3 ports on the 4 day Monarch - no time at all to be bored. They still had shows and Quest like the other ships.;)

we are so excited...we booked Monarch for a 4 night cruise in April today. We've been on her for a 3 nighter and cant wait to go on this one too. She really is a great ship...I could sit in the schooner bar or by the windows in Boleros all day and just relax...

We love the Monarch. Just sailed on her this past weekend (Sept. 28-Oct. 1) again and had a great time.

Our favorite waiter is Ephraim (from the Phillipines) and our favorite assistant waiter is Andrew (from Jamaica). Ephraim was on vacation last weekend but Andrew was there and remembered us from spring break. Even though he didn't wait on our table, he waited on those close by and came by to talk with us 2 or 3 times a night. My husband gave him a tip the last night, "just because he's a nice kid".

We also love:

OV cabins on the tween deck

the shows

Johnny O

the asian food at the end of the Windjammer

Margarita pizza at Sorrentos

chilled strawberry soup

the $10 accessory store

Gary the dance instructor

the ping pong and basketball tournaments

the rock wall

dancing to live music

and, our new favorite.......the dodge ball tournament!

Gotta love the Monarch!

Hey there all you Monarch lovers! We have never sailed RCI before, but are seriously thinking about this ship for a June 08 trip for my son's graduation. A few questions if I may.........are there alot of things for 18 year olds to do or participate in on this ship? :D

I guess it depends on what kinds of activities your 18 year old is interested in. Our 18 year-old son came with us and had a blast. He loves the Monarch. However, he's also very outgoing and makes friends easily. He also loves sports and spent a lot of time playing basketball and ping-pong. He also loves the shows, the food (he's 6'2" and eats like a horse!), the rock wall, and just hanging out at the end of the day with his newly-made shipboard friends. My DH and I went to every dance lesson and there were plenty of young women (say, 16-25 years old) at the lessons, but not as many guys. Same thing with the dance floor at Boleros (salsa music); lots of younger women, not as many younger men. So if your son likes to dance, he'll have a wide choice of partners.

There are some activities for 14-17 year olds that are held outside of Fuel. Whether or not an 18 year old can participate in them is up to the crew member in charge of that particular activity. I.E., our son was asked by the crew member in charge of a teen water balloon fight to participate; he did and had a lot of fun. No 18 year olds are allowed in the teen lounge, however. Our son didn't miss it. Being 18 also means they're allowed in the Circuit (an adult party & dance lounge). I'd check the crowd in the Circuit before letting him go; sometimes it's a nice group, sometimes a pretty wild one. There's also a 70's pool party on one night that attracts a mixed crowd of young and old alike where you guys can "boogie down" together and have a lot of fun. The crew's costumes for this party are hysterical and not to be missed.

Fellow Monarch Lovers, who are some of your favorite crew members (cabin attendants, waiters, bartenders)?

Mine are:

Dining room:

Sheldon Rodriguez, head waiter

Peter Drozo, head waiter

Abdullah from Turkey, head waiter

Miland Salwat, head waiter

Silbourne Reid, waiter

Rudresh (India), waiter

Andrew Rego, asst. waiter

Alexandre (India), waiter

Franco (India), waiter

Edgard (Peru), waiter

Ionut Tiene (Romania), waiter

Bartenders:

Alok Sharma, Boleros

Noel (India), Pool Bar

Boris (Romania), Schooner Bar

Cabin Attendant:

Estella, Nicaragua

Kesley (caribbean island)

George (St. Vincent)

Jen, I believe that Boris with the BBBs (Beautiful Baby Blues) is Russian.

Danney & Trudi are indeed the best. Captain Teo Strazic (sp) is also terrific, but alas he will be leaving to Captain the Independence. Joy from the Phillipines is a fabulous cabin attendant on Deck 10.

-from a charter member & President (self-appointed, of course!) of the Monarch Fan Club.

Jean .............If anyone knows the Monarch............it's you.

From a suite standpoint......we have stayed in an Owners Suite and the Royal Suite.............several times. The perks are a large room!! The ship provides flowers in the Royal Suite. As with all suites, you will be provided with a priority embarkation............as well as disembarkation.

My DW and I have had so many wonderful experiences on the Monarch, and have loved cruising with so many of the posters on this thread.......that someday.............I would love to do it again.

Now.........to convince my DW!!

The Monarch is truly a wonderful ship with a wonderful crew. I did a B2B2B this last September and enjoyed every second of that trip. Karen, the new captain is so professional and just great. Danney is Danney. JohnnyO (Fluff Daddy) refers to him as Elvis because of his hair. Danney, always with that big smile, hams it up a bit. Southern California, Ensenada, usually has wonderful weather and the port stops offer a good variety of shore excursions or just the old standbys. Of course, it's always fun to stay onboard and practically have the ship to yourself. Later. Robin :cool:

Jean .............If anyone knows the Monarch............it's you.

From a suite standpoint......we have stayed in an Owners Suite and the Royal Suite.............several times. The perks are a large room!! The ship provides flowers in the Royal Suite. As with all suites, you will be provided with a priority embarkation............as well as disembarkation.

My DW and I have had so many wonderful experiences on the Monarch, and have loved cruising with so many of the posters on this thread.......that someday.............I would love to do it again.

Now.........to convince my DW!!

..APRIL 21ST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived