Did your teenager enjoy Alaska?

I am planning an Alaskan cruise next June 7th. It will be on Serenade of the Seas and will be the 7 night Hubbard Glacier itinerary. My son will be almost 16 at the time. He has been on 5 cruises and enjoyed each one. The last couple of cruises he has been in the teen groups and made new friends that he hung out with both inside the group activities and outside the program (going to shows, watching movies, eating at Sorrentos, etc.)

My concern is that this is a very different itinerary than the others we've been on and I know the demographics are different as far as the average age of guests on board. In the Caribbean, if they don't want to do something with the teen group, they can always hang out by the pool for several hours. But in Alaska, that wouldn't be an option.

Has anyone else cruised Alaska with a teen during these first weeks of June? Were there many other teens on board? Did they have fun both in the teen program and just around the ship? How about in the ports? Did they hold the interest of your teen? I'd love to hear from anyone who has had experience with this!

Just did this with my 19 year old and 21 year old who were less than thrilled when I initially suggested it over 15 months ago. They wanted to do the Caribbean, but I wanted one last blowout vacation before my daughter graduates college this year.

Well, as we all started getting into the planning of excursions and such they were getting more and more excited. I made sure they had a big hand in selecting the tours so that they would be interested and excited. The anticipation though paled with the reality. I don't care how many pictures or TV shows you have seen on Alaska but the reality doesn't do it justice. My kids were in awe.

Hubbard Glacier morning I didn't think they were going to get up at 7:30am to join us on the front of the ship but not only did they, they were leading us up there and were so excited. I did surprise them while we were still way out from the glacier with not only gloves because it was cold but with their own binoculars each. They were like little kids and were just amazed by everything.

We also were planning on a kayak trip in Sitka, but unfortunately that got canceled but I had a last minute back plan in each port for just this occasion and we ended up at the Raptor center where the tend to injured eagles and even at their age they had a great time.

The highlight of the trip was helicoptering and landing on the glacier which is probably the most amazing thing I have ever done. The kids were in absolute awe. The last night we were all packing up and they both came into our room and gave us big hugs and kisses and said thank you and it was the best vacation ever.

We went August 4th and there were a ton of kids on board but my son was too old for the teen program. They met a lot of kids their ages on board. We really didn't find a drastic difference in the demographics. There were plenty of families with little kids and honeymooners through the elderly.

If you want to see pictures click on the link in my signature.

We sailed with our son on June 14th when he was 15 1/2 on the Coral Princess. There were only about 30 children on board including teens, but my son was still able to make some friends his own age and had a good time. At this age, the kids seem to use the teen program as a way to meet up, but then they mostly just hang out together. I can tell you for certain that he was never bored. Of course we sailed on Princess, and I think RCL would attract more families.

Since the itinerary was different from the Carribbean cruises he was familar with, it made for a great adventure and learning experience. One night he left dinner before us, and when we got back to our cabin, we found him on the balcony with the camera taking videos of the sea lions and seals on the rocks along the coast. He saw an abundance of wildlife on this cruise, everything from humpback whales to bald eagles. We even saw a lynx and a bear along the road in the Yukon.

Alaska is an amazing place. Your son is a very lucky boy to be able to experience it with you.

Sue L, thanks for the info. Can you please tell me which excursions you chose in each port? Were they on your own or through RCI?

mjbelen, sounds like your son had a good time. Thanks for letting me know how things went.

We did the itinerary with Sitka, we booked the Kayak trip but it was rainy and foggy and just as were boarding the bus to go for the 1pm tour a plane crashed right in town. They decided not to go through with they tour because if we got into any trouble the rescuers would have been at the site of the plane crash. It was through the cruise line and we got our refund before dinner that night. Instead we hiked through the rainforest and totem park to the Raptor center.

In Skagway we did the horseback riding which was wonderful. They picked us up right at the ship and it was about a half hour ride through absolutely beautiful scenery. The guide was very informative and gave us a good overview of the area and some of the culture. They do NOT have a full time dentist and he visits once a month weather permitting. The excursion again was through the cruise line.

In Juneau, we did the helicopter landing on the glacier. Absolutely amazing, though pricey it was worth every penny. My backup was the Mt Roberts Tramway.

We did all the excursions through the cruise line because either they weren't available privately or the cost was within a couple of dollars of the ships tour.

If you didn't go, look at my photos, the link is in my signature.

Jane:

We were on the Serenade the first week of June last year and the young people were predominantly teens, not young children. If the demographics hold true next year, this should suit your 16 yr old just fine. I think Sue's idea of letting them have a part in selecting the shore excursions is a good one.

Archived