Needing Help with Independent Land tour

widehunters3

We will be arriving Anchorage July 19 at 5:30pm. We start our cruise from Seward July 25th. At this point we are planning to spend the night in Anchorage and pick up the rental car downtown Anchorage, Sunday morning.

Sunday morning, 9;00am pick up rental car and travel to visit Eklutna Village Historical Park and then to Matauska Glacier. We are planning to do a hike at 2:00. I'm thinking there is an old gold mine or something nearby that we will try to visit.

Monday we will head towards Denali and possibly view the entrance of the park.

Tuesday we plan to do the bus tour to Wonder Lake.

Wednesday head back towards Anchorage to catch the train early Thursday morning for Seward.

My head is spinning trying to figure this all out. This board has been very helpful.

Any suggestions????? I'm wanting to book hotel nights, but I feel like I have to figure out where we are going first. Please HELP ME

Thanks,

KIM

It looks like you have listed where you are going??

I suggest you perhaps consider Sheep Mt for your lodging after your glacier treking. I do also highly recommend you go on the longest tour available, the short ones aren't even worth getting on the crampons. :) Too short.

Next day allow about 6 hours for the drive to Denali Park, break that up with a stop at Talkeetna.

2 nights outside Denali Park would probably work better with your timeframe and go part way to Denali Park from Sheep Mt, with an overnight in an area of interest??

This itinerary you have planned out is excellent, now just fill in your lodging.

I assume the old gold mine you are referring to is Independence Mine in Hatcher Pass. I suggest you see it on Wednesday. Or, head back to Wasilla after hiking Matanuska Glacier, spend the night, and see Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine before heading to Denali on Monday. Or you could stay at a B&B at the base of Hatcher Pass on Sunday night.

If you do a long hike on the Glacier at 2, you don't really have time to go to Independence Mine the same day.

Archived