Question – ship excursions to Dunns River Falls from Montego Bay

sylai

We are going to Montego Bay on Liberty OTS in December. There are two excursions to Dunns River Falls provided by the cruise line from Montego Bay, one with lunch at Margaritaville after the climbing (“as advertised”) and one without. Given our time of arrival at the port being 10:30am as shown on RCCL web site, I don’t know how the lunch will work out, as it seems a late lunch in both cases.

Could anyone comment on the experiences/differences of either excursions? Thank you.

keep in mind that there is a minimum of a 1 hour drive to Ocho Rios. Personally, I would grab a late bfast/brunch and skip Margaritaville (overpriced Bar & Grill/tourist trap) and save the cash. When you get back to the ship grab a snack and then head back to your cabin to get ready for dinner.

From Mo Bay to Ocho is about 90 minutes at best to 2 hour drive one way. I know there is a Margaritaville in Negril is there one in Ocho or Mo Bay???.

The climb will take about an hour so if you leave the ship at 10:30 and your going to the Negril Margaritaville first lunch will be about Noon than the drive to Ocho and the drive back. Just the Dunns portion trip to & from plus climb will probably take 4 or 5 hours. Sounds like a 6 -7 hour tour.

We've been to Dunns River twice but it was from Ocho Rios both times. Myself, I wouldn't do it from MoBay. We did that drive to a Resort in Ocho Rios once, as someone said it can easily be 2 hours. If you decide to do it, just be aware about 4 hours of your excursion will be sitting on a bus.

Of course you'll get to see plenty of the countryside:D

Thank you for all the responses. Now it all makes sense. We will take the brunch idea for sure. We wish the ship would dock at Ocho Rios. Although we (DH and I) visited the Falls once before, friends coming along the cruise really want us to do the excursion with them. May be I can try to talk them out of it, or talk us out of it :--) Thanks again.

We did the tour from MB to OR Dunns River Falls. Lot of time on the shuttle van, got to see the countryside (1 1/2 to 2 hours each way). Stopped for food on the way. On the way back, got to do shopping. Nice tour. If you have them, take water shoes.

We did the tour from MB to OR Dunns River Falls. Lot of time on the shuttle van, got to see the countryside (1 1/2 to 2 hours each way). Stopped for food on the way. On the way back, got to do shopping. Nice tour. If you have them, take water shoes.

You really SHOULD have water shoes , those rocks are slippery in places .... :eek:

Agree with "traveler", the roadtrip is not as bad as it sounds. We did the tour on the LOS in August. I dreaded the drive there but my daughter just had to go to Dunn's River.

We went with JUTA tours through RCI. Met on the pier and off we went. Saw some beautiful Jamaican countryside and some not so beautiful. The tour guide points out different sights along the way.

In Dunn's River, they take you through a side entrance (exit too) so we can avoid the markets which you want to do at all costs. Then you meet your guides for the trip up the falls.

Wear a bathing suit because you WILL get soaked. Water shoes too. Watch out for the black areas on the rocks, these are slippery. Take a camera. The guides will take great pictures of you on the way up. They also video tape you and you can purchase the DVD for $29?.

I made the mistake of taking my good A80 Canon. As soon as the guide saw it he took it from me. I was nervous he was going to drop it in the water or get it wet but he took great care of it. Still would recommend a waterproof camera or throwaway. It takes away from your enjoyment when you're constantly worrying about the camera.

The falls are great family fun. Get wet and enjoy. The guide will try to get you to pose for various shots. DO IT. One of our favorite family pictures (now a screensaver) was taken here. Try to also get some background and scenery pictures. We didn't get any which was disappointing.

At the top the guides will be waiting for their hard earned tip. Don't forget to bring some cash and a dry storage place.

On the way back they stop at Margaritaville in Ocho Rios. You get a quick buffet lunch and off you go. Not a big deal. If you purchased a DVD from Dunn's River, they drop it off to you here. We didn't get one so I can't vouch for the content quality.

Ride back seemed longer. Our bus tour guide gave a suggested tip for her and the driver at $10 each which I thought was tacky.

For family fun I would highly recommend the Falls. Would be better if the ship docked in Ocho Rios but as I said you also get a nice view of the island.

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do in Mobay. Some in our group did the shopping tour which they said was dreadful and scary. I didn't know they had a zipline there until we got back and I saw postings on it.

Enjoy.

Jimmers

Archived