10/31 QM2 Cruise - General Questions

cruisersNY

Ok, so I’ve read a lot of different reviews and all of the information here is really great! I know I’m repeating previous posts, but I have several questions and was hoping if people can comment on the items below.

• Is there a Halloween party? For example, are people dressing in costume or in basic “carnival” style masks? If I wanted to dress up like Dracula, (not that I am), would I be out of place?
  • For dinner, are all men in suits all the time or will kakhis and a button down shirt do? I understand for the “elegant” nights a suit and tie are required, I’m just asking for the nights that are somewhat casual.
  • When going to the bar/club (after/before) dinner are guys in jeans and a t-shirt or do most people stay in suits?
  • During the day, when walking around the ship, can I walk around in a bathing suit/tank top/t-shirt or will I feel out of place?

Were looking forward to this cruise and just want it to be relaxing and feel like a vacation. I’ve never felt this before, however after ready many posts, I’m starting to think we may have to rearrange our wardrobe for the QM2.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, any tips from previous passengers would be great. Were also starting to look at the islands (been to St. Thomas and Tortolla) but never Barbados, St. Lucia or St. Kitts. Any tips on the ports of call would be great.

Thanks again and looking forward to our voyage

• For dinner, are all men in suits all the time or will kakhis and a button down shirt do? I understand for the “elegant” nights a suit and tie are required, I’m just asking for the nights that are somewhat casual.
  • When going to the bar/club (after/before) dinner are guys in jeans and a t-shirt or do most people stay in suits?
  • During the day, when walking around the ship, can I walk around in a bathing suit/tank top/t-shirt or will I feel out of place?

The following is taken from the UK website:

Do I have to dress for dinner every evening? One of the great thrills of a Cunard cruise is the sheer glamour of the evenings. Generally, evening dress may be either formal, informal or casual when your ship is at sea, and informal or casual when your ship is in port. There will be a maximum of three formal nights in a week. Evening attire, effective from 6pm, will be specified in your ship’s Daily Programme, delivered to your stateroom each day. Dress codes are defined as follows:

Formal:

Black tie or formal dark suit for men. Evening dress or other formal attire for women.

Informal:

Jacket and tie for men. Cocktail dress or trouser suit for women. No jeans.

Elegant Casual:

Jacket, no tie required for men (no jeans or shorts). Dress, skirt or trousers for ladies.

Black tie means "tuxedo". You'll find that a number of men interpret these levels higher. I, for example, would never dress lower than a dark suit for dinner on a ship. Although I'm at the top end of the scale, I'm not the only one.

On my transatlantic, the overwhelming majority of passengers stayed properly dressed for the evening.

Bathing suits belong by the pool and no-where else. Although day time wear is more casual than the evening, and shorts and jeans are acceptable, the ship is still basically reasonably smart.

I think you need to modify your expectations. Otherwise you will feel seriously out of place.

I hope this is helpful, even if it may not be welcome.

Matthew

Let's see ....

1) Halloween party - Your guess is as good as mine. We'll find out on sailing day. :D

2) Casual dress in restaurant - In my ticket pac, it's classified as elegant casual ... kahkis and the button-down shirt will work, but they suggest a jacket as well ... suit or jacket and tie for the informal evenings.

3) Roaming on deck in your trunks - might be a bit nippy for that. :D

A good coverup will do the trick. Think light windbreaker

If I've left anything out, let me know ... and I'm sure others here would help.

See you on the 31st! :)

• Is there a Halloween party? For example, are people dressing in costume or in basic “carnival” style masks? If I wanted to dress up like Dracula, (not that I am), would I be out of place?

Were looking forward to this cruise and just want it to be relaxing and feel like a vacation. I’ve never felt this before, however after ready many posts, I’m starting to think we may have to rearrange our wardrobe for the QM2.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, any tips from previous passengers would be great. Were also starting to look at the islands (been to St. Thomas and Tortolla) but never Barbados, St. Lucia or St. Kitts.

Dear cruiserNY,

Welcome to the Cunard Board.

Your question about the Halloween Party dress should possibly be addressed in your cruise documents. If it was stated within the documents that such a party would be held, they may give you guidelines of suggested apparel to wear. As one of our past cruises we had a Masquerade Party (which is common onboard), and descripted the suggested costume. Also added that Masks would be sold onboard if you wish to purchase one. We did have a couple in our party that did dress as a Pirate and were the hit of the night as others were. So, some people do come prepared with certain dress for the occasion but there is still a level properness that should be followed so no offend other passengers.

For Evening Dress, I do direct you to the suggested guidelines for dress that are listed in your documents. Each evening will have a designated dress code that should be followed so all onboard can enjoy the atmosphere that ship is trying to set. Those that unfortuately do not follow this suggested dress do stand out sort of like a sore thumb.

The question about before and after dinner drinks in the lounges and/or bars dress should still follow that above dress. Once the suggested dress code starts at the beginning of the evening (around 6PM), it should be followed thru the full course of the evening. Yes, we have found some people who wish to dress down later in the evening and again they do wish be feel more casual and comfortable. Of course on Formal Nite, they still standout. Most of the people follow the suggested dress.

Cover dress for any bathing wear I have seen, seems to always be followed by most passengers. There are the occasional passengers that think their cabins are close enough to the pool to sort of seek by thru the hallways. Not to offend other passengers onboard, we should all respect others feelings especially in the Public Hallways.

Yes, we all are on vacation on the same vessel for the same purpose, to relax and enjoy the experience with other fellow passengers.

We ditto your feelings about the vacation being a relaxing one and if I can add, restful one also.

Yes, Queen Mary 2 as well as the other Cunard Ships are a different type of cruising experience. That is why we like sailing with this particular line for several decades already and always look forward to returning each time.

We have been to many of the islands that you have mentioned. Our favorite for shopping is St Thomas and for visiting always Barbados. Our last cruise brought us to St Kitts for the first time and have been to St Lucia only once also.

We hope that you will enjoy your experience with Cunard and wish to return in the future.

CNY,

Since both Vic and my SO and I will be on board with you, I guarantee *I* will not kick you off.

Day time will be like any other cruise line, all of which prohibit walking around in swim suits.

Nights, dressy, to varying degrees- Like going out to a nice restaurants.

Halloween?

I know for a fact that several on our roll call are panning on dressing. Marc and I will be.

There WILL be a masquerade ball, but not on Halloween. Likewise a buccaneer ball.

See you in three weeks!

KP

• 2 weeks later...

can you please keep me right...I am joining the QM2 on 10th Nov with my family and am looking forward to it so much, am new to cruising so am keen to find out as much as possible... we are booked for late dining but need to know if this makes it impossible to see the evning shows.....

can you please keep me right...I am joining the QM2 on 10th Nov with my family and am looking forward to it so much, am new to cruising so am keen to find out as much as possible... we are booked for late dining but need to know if this makes it impossible to see the evning shows.....

No, there are two shows every evening. The show for the guests dining late is most of the time after dinner around 10.30 or 10.45.

Enjoy!

Archived