5 ships in one day - too crowded?

nates04

Molly,

I noticed that on HAL's website it doesn't show us tendering, but that doesn't mean we won't. Yes, one of the five ships the day we are there is a small 200 pax ship, so really we are dealing with 4 ships.

One thing that may be a slightly positive note is that since we are arriving at noon, and a couple of the ships leave at 3 or 4 according to cruisecal, maybe a lot of those people will start packing up around 1 or 2 to get back to the ship, so perhaps the late afternoon might not be as busy as when we first arrive...just tyring to look at any positives I can find in this situation.:)

Molly,

I noticed that on HAL's website it doesn't show us tendering, but that doesn't mean we won't. Yes, one of the five ships the day we are there is a small 200 pax ship, so really we are dealing with 4 ships.

One thing that may be a slightly positive note is that since we are arriving at noon, and a couple of the ships leave at 3 or 4 according to cruisecal, maybe a lot of those people will start packing up around 1 or 2 to get back to the ship, so perhaps the late afternoon might not be as busy as when we first arrive...just tyring to look at any positives I can find in this situation.:)

I looked at it again last night and noticed that- The only time I was ever in Tortola was many many moons ago:eek: - I didn't even know that they have docks. Guess they better have at least 5 as I saw what Stan had posted on our roll call about all the ships and none leave before we get there. We will find out !!!!!:D

I have to admit that thought entered my mind also, as I remember reading on the boards about that happening. Tortola is one of the reasons for us taking this particular cruise so I hope it does NOT get changed, but there is nothing I can do about it:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I was on the same sailing as the OP, and the day before arrival, the docking time was changed to 2:00. Then when we got there, the Costa Ship had some problems with passengers reboarding, so they left 30+ minutes late, so it was closer to 3 before our feet hit the dock.

This had a big impact on shore excursions. My DH and I scheduled a 2 tank scuba dive at the wreck of the Rhone. It was shortened to a 1 tank dive and only $20 of the $129 price was refunded.

We spoke to a few folks who had done the Baths excusion, and they said that they felt pretty rushed, and the hike out was challenging as it got dark, because the path was a bit slippery in places.

This thread was started back in early October, and I'm very frustrated that HAL didn't make adjustments to the schedule due to the number of ships. At the very least, they should have been honest about the impact of the late arrival on shore excusions. There is no way we would have chosen to pay $109 for a one tank dive.

Hi warmbluewater!!! I'm not so sure about that passenger reboarding story, I remember when I was following this thread and reading on Cruisecal about 5 ships being in port and I am fairly sure that the first ship was not even scheduled to depart Tortola until 2 or 3pm, so if we as passengers know that way ahead of time you would think HAL would have known also??!!

With 5 ships in port even the excursions will be dealing with crowds. The BVI's just do not have the infrastructure to properly deal with these kinds of numbers. It's not often I say I'm glad I won't be there but...:eek:

I was horrified when I discovered there will be 4 other ships in Tortola with us. At least we're the first, so we will get to dock, but why do they permit this? Clearly the people will overwhelm the port. And the roads, I would assume. Not the peaceful time we were looking forward to. I'm very disappointed.

Archived