QM2 evening wear

gopack

I'm a newbie to Cunard and bit confused about the evening dress code on QM2. We're doing the Caribbean cruise. Some of the posts say evening wear is much more casual on the Caribbean cruise than the TA. Here are my questions:

1 - Husband has a tux for formal nights. It looks like from the itinerary he'll need to wear a jacket all other evenings except one. Is this correct? Or will there be more "resort wear?"

2 - Do my formal dresses need to be full length or can they be shorter?

I know these items have been beat to death on the board - but I'm at maximal confusion level after reading! Sorry!!!

We are doing a Caribbean on the QM2 in January, this is what I will be bringing, more or less.

Formal - Evening wear, full length dresses. Something like this. http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/15218603

Elegant Casual - black palazzo pants and a silk top of some sort

Semi-formal - cocktail dress, something like this. http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/15219803

I hope this helps.

Hubby will be bringing his DJ, dark suit and linen suit. You are required to wear a tie for all bu the Elegant Casual nights, although a lot of Men choose to.

Is it too early in this thread to introduce the newcomer to self-tied bow ties, thongs, sequins etc.......??

David

It is never to late to mention the imperative of a self tied bow tie (save those who are in receipt of an official dispensation.)

Matthew

Is it too early in this thread to introduce the newcomer to self-tied bow ties, thongs, sequins etc.......??

David

I think so. A few more messages with the basics and then off to the ties, thongs, and sequins we go.

I love the first two, but the third, not so much.

thread drift - please stop me going near the family boards, I make an innocent comment and someone twists it and away we go with an argument and I end up having to read loads of gumph on the World Health Authority to explain why Cunard let me take Leo swimming!

I'm a newbie to Cunard and bit confused about the evening dress code on QM2. We're doing the Caribbean cruise. Some of the posts say evening wear is much more casual on the Caribbean cruise than the TA. Here are my questions:

1 - Husband has a tux for formal nights. It looks like from the itinerary he'll need to wear a jacket all other evenings except one. Is this correct? Or will there be more "resort wear?"

2 - Do my formal dresses need to be full length or can they be shorter?

I know these items have been beat to death on the board - but I'm at maximal confusion level after reading! Sorry!!!

Hi there. I just want to add this--when those here say "more casual", what they mean is fewer formal and informal nights, and more elegant casual nights.

"Resort wear" is a good description of what's worn during the day.

I love the first two, but the third, not so much.

thread drift - please stop me going near the family boards, I make an innocent comment and someone twists it and away we go with an argument and I end up having to read loads of gumph on the World Health Authority to explain why Cunard let me take Leo swimming!

Lex, next time you get the urge to go to the Family boards, report in here first and we'll pin you in a chair until you come to your senses.

Ok, resume Formal Wear discussion. Those are lovely dresses, btw!

We are doing a Caribbean on the QM2 in January, this is what I will be bringing, more or less.

Formal - Evening wear, full length dresses. Something like this. http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/15218603

Elegant Casual - black palazzo pants and a silk top of some sort

Semi-formal - cocktail dress, something like this. http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/15219803

I hope this helps.

Hubby will be bringing his DJ, dark suit and linen suit. You are required to wear a tie for all bu the Elegant Casual nights, although a lot of Men choose to.

Hi Lex,

Is the first night usually elegant causal? If so would a nice pair of slacks and blouse be suitable for me to wear?

Thanks,

Betsy

Your husband will need a jacket for all nights for dinner, unless you eat in the King's Court buffett. We just returned from a nine night to Canada and actually the men outshown the women in their dress. Many of the women on board were really dressed "down" even on formal night. The majority of the passengers were non USA. Everyone was neat and clean, no jeans (that I saw) but most definately not very dressed up either. We were main seating and that may have made the difference. We, however, were perfectly dressed to code:) !

B.

It is never to late to mention the imperative of a self tied bow tie (save those who are in receipt of an official dispensation.)

Matthew

Thank you Matthew....I have my special dispensation well in hand for Nov 10th....

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

I plan on dressing up every night except maybe the first. I've bought A LOT of dresses :p I might be over dressed on some nights but darn it I don't care, besides if I don't wear all of them my wonderful hubby might have me walk the plank :eek:

Betsy

Cool, thanks!:D

I worked up this little chart once because I was trying to guess what would be worn on which night on the 10 night Caribbean. And I reckon I didn't have anything else to do at the time! Someone who goes soon will have to report back so we can adjust accordingly and then find once we board they've changed it on our voyage! :p

1. First night--Elegant Casual

2. Sea day--Formal

3. Sea day--Formal

4. Tortola--Elegant Casual

5. St. Kitts--Elegant Casual

6. Barbados--Elegant Casual

7. St. Lucia--Informal (early departure from here :( )

8. St. Thomas--Elegant Casual

9. Sea day--Formal

10. Sea day but also last night--Elegant Casual

Disembark NYC--Wear whatever suits your fancy.

I worked up this little chart once because I was trying to guess what would be worn on which night on the 10 night Caribbean. And I reckon I didn't have anything else to do at the time! Someone who goes soon will have to report back so we can adjust accordingly and then find once we board they've changed it on our voyage! :p

2. Sea day--Formal

3. Sea day--Formal

9. Sea day--Formal

Shoot, only 3 formal :( oh well I just might have 4 :rolleyes: Thanks Angela!

2. Sea day--Formal

3. Sea day--Formal

9. Sea day--Formal

Angela, you are exactly right in your prediction. I haven't left yet, but I do have my documents with the dress code for each evening. They call the St. Lucia night, semi-formal and they even list the disembark day as elegant casual!!!! We are waiting for the October 31st group to sail and let us know if this is REALLY the dress code on the ship!

Beth

2. Sea day--Formal

3. Sea day--Formal

9. Sea day--Formal

Shoot, only 3 formal :( oh well I just might have 4 :rolleyes: Thanks Angela!

OH NO DOUBLE POST!!!!

I plan on dressing up every night except maybe the first. I've bought A LOT of dresses :p I might be over dressed on some nights but darn it I don't care, besides if I don't wear all of them my wonderful hubby might have me walk the plank :eek:

Betsy

Betsy, being "over dressed" is just fine on the QM2. Many women dress a little more formally on the elegant casual and semi-formal nights. Love the dress photo you posted. That dress is gorgeous!

Beth

Betsy, being "over dressed" is just fine on the QM2. Many women dress a little more formally on the elegant casual and semi-formal nights. Love the dress photo you posted. That dress is gorgeous!

Beth

Speaking as a man, I wouldn't dress in anything less than a dark suit for dinner. I MIGHT wear a sports jacket if the ship were in port - always assuming that it fitted (the horrible things seem to shrink at a moment's notice.) With tie, of course.

I normally reserve sports jacket for embarkation. Again, with tie.

Matthew

Archived