QM2 evening wear

gopack

Love the first dress lexxity!

I have time for lots of shopping before my QM2 cruise, but I did pick a couple of dresses recently...

This one

and this one

ETA.. I was thinking of ordering this one too... but I'm not 100% sure I like it

Isn't it great to be a woman!

I have the PERFECT shoes (2 different pairs!) to go with the first and the last dress...the one you're on the fence about! I was just out searching the 'net for dresses myself (but for the QE2 TA on Jan 6). Just decided to take a look at what was happening on the board, and found this thread! I really like that brown number...I think I'll go check out the Coldwater Creek website now....cheers!

Frances

Betsy, being "over dressed" is just fine on the QM2. Many women dress a little more formally on the elegant casual and semi-formal nights. Love the dress photo you posted. That dress is gorgeous!

Beth

Thank you Beth :)

I love formal and I'm looking forward to dressing up in the evenings. I think I just want to dress up, sip champagne and pretend it's 1938 and I'm sailing from Southampton to NY on the first Mary. Yes, I do have a vivid imagination :p

..I think I'll go check out the Coldwater Creek website now....cheers!

Hi Frances, I buy a lot of clothes from Coldwater... they have some great travel knit dresses, skirts, tops.... they are FABULOUS, honestly you could be in Economy for 18 hours and walk of the plane looking like a million bucks :D you could stuff these things in a gym locker for a month and they are still perfect. Great products.

I'm a newbie to Cunard and bit confused about the evening dress code on QM2. We're doing the Caribbean cruise. Some of the posts say evening wear is much more casual on the Caribbean cruise than the TA. Here are my questions:

1 - Husband has a tux for formal nights. It looks like from the itinerary he'll need to wear a jacket all other evenings except one. Is this correct? Or will there be more "resort wear?"

2 - Do my formal dresses need to be full length or can they be shorter?

I know these items have been beat to death on the board - but I'm at maximal confusion level after reading! Sorry!!!

Welcome to Cunard, gopack. You started a fun thread.

Just to make sure we answer your questions -- we have a bad habit of getting off topic quickly!!!

1. I think your hubby will want to wear a jacket each night. On the elegant casual nights, a tie is not required.

2. You will see both long and short dresses on formal night. You will see more long dresses than on other cruiselines. You will see mainly floor lenth and tea length gowns on formal nights but there will be some shorter ones.

Hope that helps. If not, ask away!

By the way, on what cruise are you sailing?

Beth

I love formal and I'm looking forward to dressing up in the evenings. I think I just want to dress up, sip champagne and pretend it's 1938 and I'm sailing from Southampton to NY on the first Mary. Yes, I do have a vivid imagination :p

Betsy,

An evening on the QM2 is quite reminiscent of 1938 on the QM. Enjoy those formal evenings and let your vivid imagination soar.

Beth

Betsy....you will feel like it's 1938...just stroll around and soak up the ambiance and let the magic do its thing on you.....that's what I did and can't wait to do again. And no, I was NOT here in 1938 but I do have a vivid imagination and lots of old liner books to remind me what it must have been like. And don't worry about overdressing...there is no such thing on that ship I think. I plan to be on the dressier side of all 3 dress codes....except for the elegant casual on disembarkation day....I have an 11 hour drive after we get off....I plan to be comfy!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

I'm a newbie to Cunard and bit confused about the evening dress code on QM2. We're doing the Caribbean cruise. Some of the posts say evening wear is much more casual on the Caribbean cruise than the TA. Here are my questions:

1 - Husband has a tux for formal nights. It looks like from the itinerary he'll need to wear a jacket all other evenings except one. Is this correct? Or will there be more "resort wear?"

2 - Do my formal dresses need to be full length or can they be shorter?

I know these items have been beat to death on the board - but I'm at maximal confusion level after reading! Sorry!!!

I thought, for all practical purposes, every night was formal night, just some more formal than others. If you know that going in and plan accordingly you will be dressed appropriately for each nignt.

Get into the whole thing too; you won't find elegance of this nature on most all other lines.

I thought, for all practical purposes, every night was formal night, just some more formal than others. If you know that going in and plan accordingly you will be dressed appropriately for each nignt.

Get into the whole thing too; you won't find elegance of this nature on most all other lines.

Arguably on a crossing. But not, from the tone of most who have done it, the case with the Caribbean.

Of course, completely true with Queen Elizabeth, where that evil creation "Elegant Casual" is almost unknown.

Matthew

Is it the flowers? I think I'll be skipping that one.

It was the flowers.

I am not buying anymore dresses for this one, I have enough. I am saving all my spends up for a day at that outlet mall in New York next October. I already signed up for their VIP thing! This January I will, as always, be popping along to Century 21 for a new pair of shoes! I LOVE Century 21 and our hotel is only about 4 blocks away! LA LA LA!!!!

Betsy - why don't you book a crossing, it's really fun! How about October 16th next year?

At last!! I posted ages ago on another thread & asked for more dress photos, but it was resoundingly ignored. Now, finally, some dresses to admire & consider. Thank you!:)

I love formal and I'm looking forward to dressing up in the evenings. I think I just want to dress up, sip champagne and pretend it's 1938 and I'm sailing from Southampton to NY on the first Mary.

As for the above - yes indeed, what could be better? And the QM2 will allow you to relive the age of elegance - overdress rather than underdress - and enjoy the champagne!

Very pretty dresses! I think the fashion world is very into pretty dresses right now so they are much easier to find then 10 years ago. It would take me weeks to find a dress for a wedding or party during the '90s.

On our crossing - I had 2 long dresses with me - one is a straight black sheath (most comfortable dress I have ever owned) that I wore with a short gold and black jacket one night and a pink wrap the other night - I don't think my husband even knew it was the same dress twice. I wore dressy pants (wide black silk one night, white the other) and a short cocktail dress on the remaining night.

My husband wore a tux on the formal nights and jacket the other three nights - he did go without tie two of the nights though. Dressing up every night was one of the highlights of the trip. We dress up for all our cruises (children included) - in fact it's been a great way for my daughter to get extra wear out of her dance dresses, since she can't wear a dress more than once to a dance - what if someone remembered!

Betsy - why don't you book a crossing, it's really fun! How about October 16th next year

Hi Lex,

I would LOVE to do a crossing but we have to go to Hawai'i next Oct. We will do a crossing in the next few years, I hope :rolleyes: I want to visit England and what better way to get there :D

Betsy

This January I will, as always, be popping along to Century 21 for a new pair of shoes! I LOVE Century 21 and our hotel is only about 4 blocks away! LA LA LA!!!!

Um, Lex?

Over here, that's a real estate company!

Every time I see that, I have to titter and giggle!

At last!! I posted ages ago on another thread & asked for more dress photos, but it was resoundingly ignored.

Estelle, I'm sorry. I thought I did post one for you. If I didn't then I apologize. I meant to.

I remember posting one picture from our Jan 3 06 Panama trip.

Oh well,

KP

Angela, you are exactly right in your prediction. I haven't left yet, but I do have my documents with the dress code for each evening. They call the St. Lucia night, semi-formal and they even list the disembark day as elegant casual!!!! We are waiting for the October 31st group to sail and let us know if this is REALLY the dress code on the ship!

Beth

Cool. :) Of course, everyone should note that once onboard it might not be what it says on the tickets. I had that experience on the Labour Day trip--I was technically overdressed, but I loved being so.

So the bottom line....overdress, look splendid, and imagine it's 1938 again.

Shoot, only 3 formal :( oh well I just might have 4 :rolleyes: Thanks Angela!

OH NO DOUBLE POST!!!!

You just might....:rolleyes:

Your green dress is awfully beautiful. You will have to book lots more voyages to wear it over and over again!

Arguably on a crossing. But not, from the tone of most who have done it, the case with the Caribbean.

Of course, completely true with Queen Elizabeth, where that evil creation "Elegant Casual" is almost unknown.

Matthew

I can do a pretty mean "Elegant Casual". Maybe you will see it someday and concur! ;)

It was the flowers.

I am not buying anymore dresses for this one, I have enough. I am saving all my spends up for a day at that outlet mall in New York next October. I already signed up for their VIP thing! This January I will, as always, be popping along to Century 21 for a new pair of shoes! I LOVE Century 21 and our hotel is only about 4 blocks away! LA LA LA!!!!

Betsy - why don't you book a crossing, it's really fun! How about October 16th next year?

Lex!! You're going to Woodbury Common?! I live about half an hour from there but have never been! You will have to come all the way from England and report back to me if I should go! <lol>

I can do a pretty mean "Elegant Casual". Maybe you will see it someday and concur! ;)
Who knows.....

I suppose everything is possible.

Matthew ;)

What Matthew, and all the other gentlemen present, meant to say was, of course, "Yes! The sooner the better!"

And, BION, no WOS,

Paul

Archived