Departure time for Explorer out of Bayonne?

Friends,

Thank you in advance for your advice!

I am lucky enough to be going on a 5 day to Bermuda departing Oct 21 from Bayonne. I've always been one to get onboard before everyone else so I can explore with my travelling party and enjoy lunch at the buffet before the crowds arrive.

This time, however, I have a previous commitment that will not be over until 11AM. I live ~ 3+ hours from the Port, so the earliest I could get ther is 2PM. The website shows departure at 5 and I surely don't want to miss a meal or any other fun! :D

Is 2PM too late? I could, if I had to, cancel my commitment but I really would prefer not to.

Thanks!

LIG

PS I tried to search in the All Things Explorer thread but could not find an answer to this specific question.

Could you cut your commitment short and go there for just a bit and then leave maybe at around 10? NJ traffic can be brutal. It took my daughter 5+ hours to go from Long Island to Philly yesterday and it is normally a 2 1/2-3hr max trip. All the traffic she hit was in NJ, so keep that in mind.

You do not want to be denied boarding if you can not make it to the cruise ship terminal by 4:00 p.m. or 4:30 I forgot the exact cutoff time! What if your car or taxi breaks down? What if there is an accident? What if there is alot of traffic or construction to delay you? My hubby and I like to give ourselves plenty of time to get somewhere! We try to get to the cruise ship terminal by 1:00 or possibly even by 12:30p.m. Why put yourself through all that stress before a cruise if you don't have to! I think it's better to get somewhere early and to wait rather than rush around and hope for the best! This is just my personal opinion of course and I'm just trying to be helpful! My personal opinion is why add stress when there is already enough stress in just traveling and driving! We're alll cruising to get away from stress why add more if you don't have to! Best Wishes in whatever you choose to do! Happy Sailings and Bon Voyage!!! Melissa

Is 2PM too late? I could, if I had to, cancel my commitment but I really would prefer not to.

Like someone else said, don't forget the traffic but Sundays shouldn't be too bad (stay away from NJ turnpike 16 W, East Rutherford. I live near Giant stadium and there's been game traffic on Sundays).

Do you really want to start the vacation rushing and nervous about getting there instead of getting there at 12 and already starting the vacation?

I knew I'd get great feedback here!

For my fellow NYers (or NJers!) :

I'm out east in Setauket (between Port Jeff and Stony Brook) and my commitment is in Huntington so I'd be leaving from there.

It should not be more than 2 hours to port, so I am leaving 1 hour for traffic.

It's a Sunday so I figured there'd be no traffic --- but I never even thought about the football game and it's a home game for the Giants! I could be stuck for who knows how long!

barbaragrace, how do you recommend I go to minimize the impact of the football traffic? I'm sure there is no "good" time to go as I understand that folks get there all through the morning to game time (1PM according to the website) in order to tailgate, whatever in the world that is. :p

I think I will cancel my commitment and resume my usual neurotic habit of getting to the dock hours before I can get on the ship! I am just more comfortable being there early, as many of you are, too.

Thanks again for the advice, friends! You guys are great!:D

LIG

I knew I'd get great feedback here!

For my fellow NYers (or NJers!) :

I'm out east in Setauket (between Port Jeff and Stony Brook) and my commitment is in Huntington so I'd be leaving from there.

It should not be more than 2 hours to port, so I am leaving 1 hour for traffic.

It's a Sunday so I figured there'd be no traffic --- but I never even thought about the football game and it's a home game for the Giants! I could be stuck for who knows how long!

barbaragrace, how do you recommend I go to minimize the impact of the football traffic? I'm sure there is no "good" time to go as I understand that folks get there all through the morning to game time (1PM according to the website) in order to tailgate, whatever in the world that is. :p

I think I will cancel my commitment and resume my usual neurotic habit of getting to the dock hours before I can get on the ship! I am just more comfortable being there early, as many of you are, too.

Thanks again for the advice, friends! You guys are great!:D

LIG

I am in Holbrook and on a Sunday morning at 8:30am it took us 1 1/2 hours to get to the port and we had absolutely no traffic.

Archived