Windstar Cruise for 30th Anniversary?

jtsymbo

Looking to do a Windstar cruise in March or April to celebrate a 30th wedding anniversary. Did Windstar in Tahiti 5 years ago and loved it. 3 cruises I am looking at: Barbados Roundtrip, St Thomas Roundtrip , and the 14 day Panama Canal Cruise. We have never been to the Caribbean and would prefer sleepy, out of the way destinations with lots of beautiful beaches and water. Don't need active ports, or planned activities. We like to strike out on our own, explore and find our own fun. The Panama Canal Cruise appeals to me because I've always wanted to transit the canal and I hear Costa Rica and Panama are fabulous. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

I don't think there were any financial problems with Windstar. The line no longer fit into the long range plans of Holland America Line which owned Windstar. Carnival Corporation owns Holland America along with Princess, Costa, Cunard, Carnival, and others.

Majestic America bought Windstar and many of the same crew are still working the ships.

Windstar is in trouble. Canceling cruises, their ships are being held in ports due to not paying charges. Their website went poof last week. Nobody is answering their phones at this moment.

From what I have read, some private sail boat charters in the Caribbean can run about the same cost as Windstar.

Looking to do a Windstar cruise in March or April to celebrate a 30th wedding anniversary. Did Windstar in Tahiti 5 years ago and loved it. 3 cruises I am looking at: Barbados Roundtrip, St Thomas Roundtrip , and the 14 day Panama Canal Cruise. We have never been to the Caribbean and would prefer sleepy, out of the way destinations with lots of beautiful beaches and water. Don't need active ports, or planned activities. We like to strike out on our own, explore and find our own fun. The Panama Canal Cruise appeals to me because I've always wanted to transit the canal and I hear Costa Rica and Panama are fabulous. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Jim,

Those are some tough choices. The Caribbean has stunniing beaches, while Costa Rica and Panama offer so much for the soul. If you like to go off the beaten track..my suggestion would be to sail the 14 day. Panama is booming. Costa Rica is BEAUTIFUL! I have spent much of my time there over the last few years and grow more fond of it everytime I go. The people are by far the nicest I have ever met, very very humble. Their food? Amazing! Things to see and do? so many choices! The beaches aren't quite like those you will see in the Caribbean though. You need to travel north to get the nice white sand etc. We found Manuel Antonio national park to be beautiful. There are numerous other beaches that you can read about on the internet and in guide books, just decide what kind of beach you want. The variety of landscapes, plant and animal life that are so accessible is Costa Rica's real jewel . Volcanoes- Rincon and Arenal offer some very beautiful and unique landscapes. They both have volcanic mud baths that are abosultly to die for. You can bathe in the very earth you just saw bursting from the ground. It might not sound that great, but it is! :D Canopy tours, Horseback riding through the cloud forests, the list goes on. The best thing about it is...there's monkey's in every tree ! Its wonderful! I could go on and on. Once you visit this Gem, you will understand why everyone says "Pura Vida"!

Good luck in your decision making.

Windstar is a great choice.! We are looking into sailing with them as well in the near future. .

Thanks all for your feedback!! The Panama Canal Cruise sounds wonderful, but its a lot more expensive than the Caribbean crusies. If I decide to do the Caribbean because they are 7 day cruises (and less $), between the Barbados Roundtrip and the St Thomas Roundtrip for someone who has never been to the Caribbean which one is the most laid back, beautiful with lots of variety? What I loved about the Tahiti cruise was the serenity and the beauty and I'm looking for some of that. Also, I would like to spend 3 or 4 nights after the cruise on a Robinson Crusoe Island at a nice quiet resort (don't need deluxe) that has a great beach and is accessible to either Barbados or St. Thomas. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Thanks all for your feedback!! The Panama Canal Cruise sounds wonderful, but its a lot more expensive than the Caribbean crusies. If I decide to do the Caribbean because they are 7 day cruises (and less $), between the Barbados Roundtrip and the St Thomas Roundtrip for someone who has never been to the Caribbean which one is the most laid back, beautiful with lots of variety? What I loved about the Tahiti cruise was the serenity and the beauty and I'm looking for some of that. Also, I would like to spend 3 or 4 nights after the cruise on a Robinson Crusoe Island at a nice quiet resort (don't need deluxe) that has a great beach and is accessible to either Barbados or St. Thomas. Any ideas? Thanks!!

OOPS! Disreguard my post above. Had one of those moments! It's not Winstar, but Windjammer that is in trouble. I just caught it.

Sorry!:o

I did the same thing. I thought that Windstar & Windjammer were the same line. Sorry for any confusions. :o

After reading your latest post...definately cruise the Caribbean then. You will see some of the most magnificent beaches. Truely unforgetable.

I am sure there are many people on these boards who are seasoned travellers to some of these wonderful islands and would be able to help you out.

Whichever you choose, I hope you have an amazing time!

P.S I'm so jealous!!!

We did the St Thomas cruise last December. It was the best cruise we have been on to date.

All the stops on this cruise we enjoyed.

We are thinking about the Barbados trip b2b next time. Just want to do the 14 day thing.

You cant go wrong with either cruise!

Best of cruising to you!

Jan

Suggest that you read the posts on the Ports of Call boards that focus on the islands you are considering. There are as many opinions as there are islands and some are contradictory, so...decide what you are looking for (as you well stated) and compare those features with the comments of those who have been there/done that. I sincerely hope that you find what you are looking for (remembering the the Caribbean is NOT the South Pacific - each has it's own special features).

Archived