Abolish All Formal Nights - all in favor speak up!

BrianTom

I am starting a movement to get formal nights removed from cruising. I know it is controversial, but worth the effort.

All that should be required in the evenings is resort casual or country club casual or better. If one chooses to dress in tux and gowns than it would be their prerogative. As my mom says you can never really be too overdressed.

Not having a formal night is a more fair system. I pay the same amount as the others and because I don't like to dress up like I am going to work while I am on vacation I am forced to pay to eat in the specialty restaurant or the hideous buffet or be sequestered in my room.

The cruiselines read these boards and lets send them a great message!

If I don't get a response in my favor I will start showing up in ripped jeans and t-shirt on formal nights. As we all know poorly dress people are never asked to leave. ;)

Why don't you just start cruising with one of the lines that doesn't have them?

One size does not fit all, that's why there's options, but there's no reason to lobby to get them taken away from those of us who do like them.

should have done a poll!!!

Formal nights are the status quo. All who favor them have it. Those who dont have it need to voice their opinions to make any changes. We need to move the cruise line in the right direction.

If you don't want to participate in formal nights, there are plenty of options, including NCL, Azamara, Oceania, and, if you go to the buffet rather than the main dining room, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Carnival. Those of us who enjoy getting gussied up every once in a while have our options too. Isn't choice what makes life so interesting?

Yes, get shut of the formal night - such an old fashioned idea. My husband has to wear a suit and tie for work every single day and so we go on holiday to relax and be casual - not have to lug dressy stuff in our cases worrrying about whether we've got to pay excess baggage allowance.

I agree - let those who WANT to dress up do so, and let those of us who want to be comfortable and casual do the same without raised eyebrows.

I really look forward to formal night. I love people watching in the champagne bar before dinner on formal night and enjoy the extra elegance in the dining room. I would be unlikely to cruise on a line that did away with formal night. Actually, I would like to RCL start to more strictly enforce the dress code.

I am starting a movement to get formal nights removed from cruising. I know it is controversial, but worth the effort.

All that should be required in the evenings is resort casual or country club casual or better. If one chooses to dress in tux and gowns than it would be their prerogative. As my mom says you can never really be too overdressed.

Not having a formal night is a more fair system. I pay the same amount as the others and because I don't like to dress up like I am going to work while I am on vacation I am forced to pay to eat in the specialty restaurant or the hideous buffet or be sequestered in my room.

If I don't get a response in my favor I will start showing up in ripped jeans and t-shirt on formal nights. As we all know poorly dress people are never asked to leave. ;)

My family would agree with you 100%

But alot of people do like the formal nights.

Yes, get shut of the formal night - such an old fashioned idea. My husband has to wear a suit and tie for work every single day and so we go on holiday to relax and be casual - not have to lug dressy stuff in our cases worrrying about whether we've got to pay excess baggage allowance.

I agree - let those who WANT to dress up do so, and let those of us who want to be comfortable and casual do the same without raised eyebrows.

Newsflash....You CAN "be comfortable and casual do the same without raised eyebrows"...It's called the Windjammer!

Guess you didn't get the responses you wanted on your earlier thread. Bummer when that happens. However, I will copy my previous answer for you:

Good luck with that one. :D But that being as it may, I would have to take the opportunity of RCI reading the boards to tell them I want to keep a formal night on shorter cruises. Yes, even 3-nighters. :)

That is not to say that I will always want to dress formally when I take a shorter cruise. When I am in a more casual mood I will gladly visit WJ or specialty venues on formal night. But I want formal nights there for when I wish to enjoy a formal night.

The current system is a win-win for me. Sorry, OP. But I am sure you will find CC members who share your sentiments. ;)

I love the formal nights, that's when the real princess in me comes out :D

I LOVE formal nights. I never have the opportunity to dress up any other time. I love getting pictures of myself and my family all dressed up every year and the whole process. This is one of the best parts of cruising.

Isn't it great that we have so many choices in the cruising industry? If formal nights are not for you - there are several lines that you will find comfortable, as Host Karen pointed out. However, if you enjoy formal nights, enjoy getting dressed for dinner, there are many lines that have that type of atmosphere.

My question is, why do you want to sail on a line that you would find so uncomfortable when you have the option to do otherwise?

For me, I vote NO on your proposal!!!! Formal nights (and traditional dining) are part of the cruise experience and I will not sail on a line that excludes them.

Archived