sothern caribbean excursions help

need lots of help please please. First time cruise - just got travel documentation and really panicing.

Some help required for souther Caribbean excursions please - we will be stopping off in St Maarten ,, St Johns, Domincia, Barbados, St Kitts, St Thomas San juan = help please.

Any advice will be so greatly appreciated. Sailing on Explorer of the Seas.

Thanks,

Barbara

When we last did the Southern Carib. my family rented out the Silver Moon in Barbados and did the snorkeling with sea turtles. We had a nice lunch and very attentative service (since it was just us on the boat).

I am just back on these boards again since I have another cruise booked for July 17 and haven't been on in awhile so you will need to research on the Barbados thread if Silver Moon is still highly recommended as it was 18 months ago, but at that time, that was "the" excursion to take.

St. Thomas, we went to the beach for the day. We've been there a few times and always happy with whatever beach we decided on but I don't remember the names off hand.

Happy Planning! I've never been to St. Kitts but from what I've read, it sounds beautiful.

I second the vote for SilverMoon catamaran in Barbados, probably the best excursion we've ever taken. Last time we were in St. Thomas we hired Donovan to give us a quick island tour - up to the MountainTop for their famous daquiri and then to Coki beach - we loved it. This time we are going to try Sapphire Beach and do the gondola up to Paradise Point. In St. Martin we're going to Orient Beach and then a quick stop at Maho beach to see the planes land. When we were in Dominica we hired Beno and he took us to the Emerald Pool and then Traflager Falls - alot of driving on very windy roads. Hope this helped - have a great cruise!

ahhh....that was the name.

Our last cruise, when we were in St. Thomas, we went to Sapphire Beach.

It was very nice. I've been to nicer caribbean beachs but if I had to, I would go here again, possibly even when we cruise in July 08.

Enjoy Dominica! Do not go there to party but to enjoy the ECO island of the Caribbean. The interior of the island is beautilful. Rain forest and banana groves are abundant, with Elephand Ears and Birds of Paridise growing wild on the road sides. Housing is primitive by US standards but Dominica supplies many of the vegetables for other islands in the area. DW and I have been there twice both times on HAL. The first time we took a Carib Indian tour and it was great. The history and info by the guides was right on. The second time we did a whale watch and yes we did see whales.

I had read on the boards how great the "sugar train" was in St. Kitts. It was all right, but definitely not worth the money. Take a van tour instead--we were stopped at a crossing, and our CC friends were in the van next to us. They looked like they were having a blast! I'm sure it was a private excursion, but don't know the name of the company.

Check out the port boards for more information.

St. Kitts is gorgeous. We were there in the spring and did the City Tour & Turtle Beach excursion. Turtle Beach is quite busy, but there are plenty of beach chairs and an okay restaurant ... and spectacular views along the way. I'd recommend that one.

In St. Thomas we did the Sunset Harbour Sail. This was a 2+ hour cruise on a catamaran in the harbour. It was very peaceful with beautiful scenery as the sun went down. Cocktails were included, so it's not really a kiddy trip. We loved seeing the lights of St. Thomas ... and especially our ship all lit up as the sun set.

Barbados we did a pub tour. It was fun and we saw a lot of the island.

In St. Maarten I have done the butterfly farm, which is great for those who are interested in nature. A friend grew up in St. Maarten and he strongly recommended the America's Cup Sailing Regatta. We tried to go on that once, but the weather was so calm that they couldn't get a race going!

Hope this helps a bit. Enjoy your cruise!~

need lots of help please please. First time cruise - just got travel documentation and really panicing.

Some help required for souther Caribbean excursions please - we will be stopping off in St Maarten ,, St Johns, Domincia, Barbados, St Kitts, St Thomas San juan = help please.

Any advice will be so greatly appreciated. Sailing on Explorer of the Seas.

Thanks,

Barbara

With the exception of Dominica, we've been to each of these islands at least once (St. Kitts), and most numerous times. There's lots of info on the ports of call boards for all the islands.

St. Maarten - they've got a great zipline tour there (Loterie Farms treetop excursion), and we really enjoy spending the day relaxing at Orient Beach. This is also one of the best 2 shopping islands on the itinerary (the other being St. Thomas).

St. John, Antigua - home to our absolutely all-time favorite excursions, Eli's Eco Tour (we've done this 4 times), and Eli's Xtreme Circumnav. These are both all-day water based excursions, with limited numbers of passenger, great crews, informative, with great activities and a great homemade lunch. The eco tour includes snorkeling, a hike on Bird Island, a climb on Hell's Gate, and a tour of the mangroves and off-shore islands in Antigua's North Sound. The Xtreme goes to the Stingrays, Green Island, English Harbor, snorkeling and a quiet beach. Both tours are on comfortable power boats, with the Xtreme's being a really exciting high speed boat. Eli's website is www.adventureantigua.com.

On Barbados, SilverMoon is the best excursion we've done there. Among other things, wWe've also shore snorkeled on our own, at Folkstone, and hired a cab for a day to go to places we researched on the internet.

St. Thomas - we like either taking the ferry to St. John to snorkel, or taking a day sail.

In Dominica go w/ Reyno ( more info can be found on the ports of call section of this website) We did the tour last April full day, fun time. We had a driver and a guide went to 2 water falls, Mr Nice fruit stand ( YUM) Hill top vistas, black sand beach, botanical gardens. You name it we did it!!! very fun and very afordable!!! Dominica is a very poor country who appreciates the tourist industry. Some people we spoke with sauid they brought school supplies to the children who are so appreciative! Bring some crayons... make a kid smile :)

You don't HAVE to do excursions at ANY port! 1st timers generally do the most--thinking they will miss something if they don't!

What excursions, if any, you choose, will depend on what you like to do! If you're adventurous, by all means, book something challenging! If not, just taking a cab to a beach, or walking around town and shopping may be plenty for you!

RCI's website lists the available excursions--and you can peruse them and see if anything strikes your fancy! Then decide!

I am interested in the southern carribean islands too. Hardly anyone posts to those boards. I have another island to list-St Lucia. I am already down with the silver moon in Barbados, just by ready this thread! Thanks!

St. Lucia is our favorite island. The scuba diving there is just awesome, which is all we've done there. We've gotten an island tour on the way to scuba, but that's it for other activities. I've never been to Hawaii, but those who have say it's very close when talking about the tropicalness, if that's a word :p , of the island.

Here are photos from some of the islands we've been to which include St. Lucia and a few ships. Caribbean Photos

By the way, while at Barbados you should try the Jolly Roger Pirate Cruise, but only if you enjoy Rum Punch and rope swinging into the ocean :p . For photos of our Jolly Roger excursion go here: Jolly Roger Excursion - Lots of drinking and fun!:D

We did the eastern caribbean on the Explorer. When you get off the ship there are private tour guides and taxis offering tours at a cheaper price than the ship excursions. We took a taxi in St Thomas and he took us to all the sights and stopped off whenever we wanted. Tour lasted three hours. He charged us $20 each person. There were four of us (two couples). In St Maarten we did the same thing but with a mini bus, also $20. You will LOVE the Explorer of the seas. :)

We did the So Caribbean on Serenade... here's what we did.

San Juan - stayed 3 days/2 nights precruise. Walked all over old SJ

St. Thomas - took Red Hook ferry to St. John for snorkle at Trunk Bay. Gorgeous island - 2/3 of it is Natl. Park - pristine !

St. Maarten - rented a jeep for the day (hertz) and drove all over the island.... Marigot shopping and Orient Beach for snorkle.

Antigua - also rented a car - drove the main road in a big circle with a couple of hours beach time at Long Bay for a snorkle.

St. Lucia - did RCI tour - Land & Sea to Soufriere - very good tour !

Barbados- definatly Cameron Reid (private tour) www.scenicbarbados.com He will customize your tour and he is great !

I am interested in the southern carribean islands too. Hardly anyone posts to those boards. I have another island to list-St Lucia. I am already down with the silver moon in Barbados, just by ready this thread! Thanks!

Cosol does a very nice tour on St. Lucia. It is informative, relaxing, and hits the highpoint of the island (there are quite a few of them!)

Barbara

We have done the Southern route twice. We go to Maho Beach in St Maarten (my husband laove to watch the planes), in Antigua we did RCI's Antiguan Crusoe Island Break - AN52 This is from their website:

Your tour begins with a 15 minute drive to Hodges Bay Club followed by a 5-10 minute boat ride to Prickly Pear Island for swimming and snorkeling. After a lesson in snorkeling, the crew will take you through the reef on an underwater tour. Or you can simply take a swim or relax in the sun. There is an open bar and lunch will be served. Complimentary lounge chair, umbrella and snorkel gear is included.

It really was beautiful. In St Kitts we did the Scenic Railway tour, it was great - it was however the last year for sugar cane on the island so I'm not sure whatyou see now. And Old San Juan is just a nice place to walk around. Don't miss El Morro and you have to go to El Convento for a Mohito.

If you click on this thumbnail it will take you to my photo album

2468033670092368476kXocti_th.jpg

who replied with ideas for off ship tours - can I now ask do you advise booking through Royal Caribbean or to book privately. If privately do you book in advance or take a chance on arrival into the port.

Thanks

Barbara

We tend to try to stay away from cruiseship tours.... too many people - go here - go there..... no control. But easier.

For private tours we always book ahead. If you don't the one you want may not be available. Cameron met us at the gate to the pier...big sign with our name. We just walked out got in his car and zoooom...we were off. We knew the price, how long, what and where.... we had control.

If we can - we rent a car.....drive ourselves. I get maps ahead of time....research what there is to do....pick what we want... figure out our route and timetable and then sometimes we alter it that day if we want. Stay longer here...skip that..... ooo ooo that looks good - STOP ! Anyway it is up to you how much time and effort you want to put into your planning. That is a big part of the fun for me. Some people hate it.

We've had good luck with ship's tours:

Dominica- One of our group did the Rain Forest Aerial Tram- she liked it- the price is a bit high. The others spent the morning in Roseau (there's a Botanic Garden there)- then we all went on the Layou Valley Tour, which was interesting. Dominica is undeveloped with narrow roads and absolutely beautiful.

Barbados- Our group did the Wildlife Sanctuary Tour or the Island Tour to Bathsheba, Andromeda Gardens, St. John's Church, and Francia House.

Next time, we plan to do the Malibu Beach and Rum Factory.

St. Thomas- Magen's Beach for swimming- St. John for snorkeling.

San Juan- Old San Juan we enjoy- and did like the El Yunque Rain Forest trip- up the winding roads.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

We will be doing the same itenerary in Januaray and the one problem with St. Martin is , we don't arrive till 3:00. And with the sun setting at 6:00 doesn't leave us much beach time...And i've read that the shops close early also so doesn't leave much to do since we will be docked till 11

we are off on the 11th November to Souhern Caribbean - first time cruisers - visiting St Maarten St Johns Antiqua, Dominia, Barbados, St Kitts, St Thomas, San Juan. Can anyone recommend off ship trips/activites - we are 60 and 56 quite active and willing to have a go!

Any advice/help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Barbara

St Marteen - nice beaches

Barbados - beautiful beaches

St Kitts - train excursion around the island

St Thomas - beaches, mega shopping

San Juan - history, Bacardi factory nothing special

Always wanted to see Ireland. Enjoy.

In St. Maarten, do the America's Cup Yacht race (challenge? Can't remember what they call it). We did that last year and it was a blast. We plan to do it again in March (and I'm doing it on a girls' cruise in November in Puerta Vallarta). You race actual AC yachts that are now retired. You have an experienced crew of 3-4 people and then everybody from the ship gets a task - grinder, winch wench, bartender, timekeeper, iceberg watcher (really!) - depending on what level of exertion you feel you can make. WE were on True North and beat Stars and Stripes by a nose. I think the real sailors were good enough to make the race a photo finish, but it was still exhilarating!

In St Thomas we booked with Rumbaba Charter, a private sailboat. Captain Bobby took us from Red Hook Harbor (20 minutes or so by cab) to St. John's, providing a nice narration along the way. Then we dropped anchor and snorkelled for about 45 minutes while he and Karen, wife and first mate, prepared lunch. He has a grill on the boat, so we had grilled ahi tuna and mahi mahi, accompanied by grilled shrimp appetizers, salad and bread, followed by fresh cookies for dessert. Then we went to another snorkelling spot (gave us time to digest a little) and had a leisurely sail back to St. Thomas. Go to www.rumbabacharters.com for more information. Bobby provides first-rate snorkelling equipment and even has T-shirts for you if you're worried about burning when you're in the water. That was probably the best excursion we've ever been on!

On Antigua we went with Lawrence of Antigua for a narrated tour of the island. It was interesting, VERY low key. We had the option of staying at a beach for a couple of hours but elected to go back to the ship. I think next time we might just slather on the sunscreen.

Archived